Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
  1. #1
    Verily VALIANT! BugsySig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    2,350

    Default DC Loses Rights to The Spirit, Doc Savage and The Avenger

    Calling Dynamite Entertainment...

    http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/1...e-the-avenger/
    VALIANT, Saga, Chew, Manhattan Projects, Revival, East of West, Locke & Key, Hawkeye, Young Avengers.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    496

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BugsySig View Post
    Puh-lease.

    Dynamite has shown with the Shadow, the Spider, and now with the upcoming Black Bat, that they don't quite get these characters. Not as badly as DC didn't get them, but still.

    We don't want "Dynamite's version" of them. We want the real thing. Over the years, the Phantom has been published by several comic book companies, but we don't speak of the "Charlton version" or the "Gold Key version" or the like. He's the Phantom. Its the same character.

    Why can't these companies get that with these classic characters. Stop scr*wing them up!!

  3. #3
    Senior Member jsf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,011

    Default

    Actually, some of us would like to see the Dynamite version.

  4. #4
    Ek Vitki Runoz Writu CaptMagellan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    846

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jsf View Post
    Actually, some of us would like to see the Dynamite version.
    Yup. Some of us (even some of us who are very familiar with the original stories) like the Dynamite take on them.
    "The Way to see by Faith, is to shut the Eye of Reason" - Benjamin Franklin

    "Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery." - R.G. Ingersoll

  5. #5
    Verily VALIANT! BugsySig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    2,350

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by emb021 View Post
    Puh-lease.

    Dynamite has shown with the Shadow, the Spider, and now with the upcoming Black Bat, that they don't quite get these characters. Not as badly as DC didn't get them, but still.

    We don't want "Dynamite's version" of them. We want the real thing. Over the years, the Phantom has been published by several comic book companies, but we don't speak of the "Charlton version" or the "Gold Key version" or the like. He's the Phantom. Its the same character.

    Why can't these companies get that with these classic characters. Stop scr*wing them up!!
    I have no real affinity for the Dynamite pulp books. It just seems like a good fit.
    VALIANT, Saga, Chew, Manhattan Projects, Revival, East of West, Locke & Key, Hawkeye, Young Avengers.

  6. #6
    More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sacramento
    Posts
    4,986

    Default

    Langridge on Spirit please.
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

  7. #7
    Senior Member Dark-Flux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,870

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptMagellan View Post
    Yup. Some of us (even some of us who are very familiar with the original stories) like the Dynamite take on them.
    I concur. But i never get tired of others telling me what i want ;)

  8. #8
    Elder Member Vic Vega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    11,819

    Default

    While Doc Savage and The Avenger are natural fits for Dynamite, I'm not sure there is a point in trying to revisit the Spirit.

    I thought the Kitchen Sink guys did as decent a job as possible doing new stuff in the 90's, but it didn't catch on.

  9. #9
    The Dark Knight Returns DonC's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    The Cleve
    Posts
    13,817

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    While Doc Savage and The Avenger are natural fits for Dynamite, I'm not sure there is a point in trying to revisit the Spirit.

    I thought the Kitchen Sink guys did as decent a job as possible doing new stuff in the 90's, but it didn't catch on.
    Yeah, Kitchen Sink had people like Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman, Brian Bolland and Dave Gibbons. And that series still didn't sell. Then DC did those amazing stories by Darwyn Cooke and they still decided not to renew the license. It seems to me that the Spirit is destined to wander from publisher to publisher, each trying to fine some way of making a profit off of the character.
    Free your soul and let it fly....

  10. #10
    Elder Member DeadXMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Big O
    Posts
    23,244

    Default

    Strike Disney!! go for blood!
    Cyclops ad portas

  11. #11
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DonC View Post
    Yeah, Kitchen Sink had people like Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman, Brian Bolland and Dave Gibbons. And that series still didn't sell. Then DC did those amazing stories by Darwyn Cooke and they still decided not to renew the license. It seems to me that the Spirit is destined to wander from publisher to publisher, each trying to fine some way of making a profit off of the character.
    Cooke's run ended years ago. They kept the book going for a long time, even relaunching it.

  12. #12
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2,416

    Default

    And let's remember that the First Wave plans were a little screwed by Dynamite when they managed to win over DC on the rights to Green Hornet and the Shadown. So yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if they were already in touch with the owners.

  13. #13
    Hardcover addict dupont2005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    17,049

    Default

    I don't read these Dynamite comics with the old heroes but I do think it's neat that they are acquiring all the licenses.
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

  14. #14
    Elder Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    here
    Posts
    19,050

    Default

    By the way, there's another version of this thread in the DC Comics forum section (for anyone who's interested).
    http://forums.comicbookresources.com...nd-The-Avenger
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Captain Craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    1,754

    Default

    I've enjoyed Dynamite's Green Hornet material. I also liked Phantom and the first few Tarzan's.
    I think they've done a good job with the Pulp Characters.
    "Freedom is the Right of ALL Sentient Beings" - Optimus Prime
    Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •