Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default DC Loses Rights to The Spirit, Doc Savage and The Avenger

Calling Dynamite Entertainment...

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/1...e-the-avenger/
    VALIANT, Saga, Chew, Manhattan Projects, Revival, East of West, Locke & Key, Hawkeye, Young Avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by BugsySig View Post
    Puh-lease.

Dynamite has shown with the Shadow, the Spider, and now with the upcoming Black Bat, that they don't quite get these characters. Not as badly as DC didn't get them, but still.

We don't want "Dynamite's version" of them. We want the real thing. Over the years, the Phantom has been published by several comic book companies, but we don't speak of the "Charlton version" or the "Gold Key version" or the like. He's the Phantom. Its the same character.

Why can't these companies get that with these classic characters. Stop scr*wing them up!!

Actually, some of us would like to see the Dynamite version.

Ek Vitki Runoz Writu CaptMagellan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jsf View Post
    Actually, some of us would like to see the Dynamite version.
    Yup. Some of us (even some of us who are very familiar with the original stories) like the Dynamite take on them.
    "The Way to see by Faith, is to shut the Eye of Reason" - Benjamin Franklin

"Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery." - R.G. Ingersoll

Quote Originally Posted by emb021 View Post
    Puh-lease.

Dynamite has shown with the Shadow, the Spider, and now with the upcoming Black Bat, that they don't quite get these characters. Not as badly as DC didn't get them, but still.

We don't want "Dynamite's version" of them. We want the real thing. Over the years, the Phantom has been published by several comic book companies, but we don't speak of the "Charlton version" or the "Gold Key version" or the like. He's the Phantom. Its the same character.

Why can't these companies get that with these classic characters. Stop scr*wing them up!!
    I have no real affinity for the Dynamite pulp books. It just seems like a good fit.
    VALIANT, Saga, Chew, Manhattan Projects, Revival, East of West, Locke & Key, Hawkeye, Young Avengers.

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

Langridge on Spirit please.
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptMagellan View Post
    Yup. Some of us (even some of us who are very familiar with the original stories) like the Dynamite take on them.
    I concur. But i never get tired of others telling me what i want ;)

While Doc Savage and The Avenger are natural fits for Dynamite, I'm not sure there is a point in trying to revisit the Spirit.

I thought the Kitchen Sink guys did as decent a job as possible doing new stuff in the 90's, but it didn't catch on.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    While Doc Savage and The Avenger are natural fits for Dynamite, I'm not sure there is a point in trying to revisit the Spirit.

I thought the Kitchen Sink guys did as decent a job as possible doing new stuff in the 90's, but it didn't catch on.
    Yeah, Kitchen Sink had people like Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman, Brian Bolland and Dave Gibbons. And that series still didn't sell. Then DC did those amazing stories by Darwyn Cooke and they still decided not to renew the license. It seems to me that the Spirit is destined to wander from publisher to publisher, each trying to fine some way of making a profit off of the character.
    Free your soul and let it fly....

Strike Disney!! go for blood!
    Cyclops ad portas

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DonC View Post
    Yeah, Kitchen Sink had people like Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman, Brian Bolland and Dave Gibbons. And that series still didn't sell. Then DC did those amazing stories by Darwyn Cooke and they still decided not to renew the license. It seems to me that the Spirit is destined to wander from publisher to publisher, each trying to fine some way of making a profit off of the character.
    Cooke's run ended years ago. They kept the book going for a long time, even relaunching it.

BANNED

And let's remember that the First Wave plans were a little screwed by Dynamite when they managed to win over DC on the rights to Green Hornet and the Shadown. So yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if they were already in touch with the owners.

I don't read these Dynamite comics with the old heroes but I do think it's neat that they are acquiring all the licenses.
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

By the way, there's another version of this thread in the DC Comics forum section (for anyone who's interested).
    http://forums.comicbookresources.com...nd-The-Avenger
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

I've enjoyed Dynamite's Green Hornet material. I also liked Phantom and the first few Tarzan's.
    I think they've done a good job with the Pulp Characters.
    "Freedom is the Right of ALL Sentient Beings" - Optimus Prime
    Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1