Page 15 of 49 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 225 of 734
  1. #211
    Lawn-mowing Enthusiast EuphemismForSex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    A lawn.
    Posts
    3,491

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pblimp360 View Post
    How can you threaten somebody as lovable as Dan Slott? Silly, silly people in this world. It's just sad.

    Dan, if you ever come here to read any of our comments, know that we might not always agree with what you write, but the grand majority of us love ya and don't wish death on you.
    How can anyone threaten anyone at all. I think the story is absolute trash (not because Peter is replaced, but how), but I simply do not have the capacity to exert effort toward actively hating somebody. I would literally sooner do nothing at all than write hate mail, let alone actually act on a threat. I don't know if that's just me, or if I'm lazier than most. Because damn, I am really lazy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade 20x6 View Post
    It's a damn shame, but I can't really say I'm surprised. Athletes get death threats all the time.
    Everyone for any reason gets heat like this. People just do it for the sake of doing it, it's messed up. Slott has the unfortunate position of being the writer of a controversial story and uses social networking. The internet is an absolutely disgusting place. You have people that act like this towards Dan Slott, and then you have people who condone beating women as long as the perpetrator is a celebrity.
    Bad news everyone...

  2. #212
    Junior Member Drewman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    135

    Default

    Wow. I can understand that people get attached to certain things and become upset when things don't go their way, but this is just too much. People cursing out Slott is already bad, even if it's a natural reaction when one is really angry. Death threats are a whole different matter. At the end of the day, it's just a freaking comic book. Jesus.

  3. #213
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ViewtifulJC View Post
    But at the same time, does anyone honestly think this shit is gonna last? I mean, for years to come? Sometime in 2014, regular ol' Peter Parker will be Spider-Man again. If you're mad, skip reading Spidey for about a year and a half, enjoy the last 50 years of back-issues, and wait until the experiment is over.

    Or hey, maybe you'll like this gag, who knows.
    They'll probably have a miniseries for Peter's return like they did for Captain America when they brought him back from the dead a few years ago. Come to think of it, the Red Skull was in Cap's body in that series like Doc Ock is in Parker's body now.

  4. #214
    Loose mongoose Venomous Mask's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Green and purple autumn
    Posts
    2,388

    Default

    I wonder if Slott could get Avengers protective custody.

    But seriously, this is just pathetic. If I don't like the end of #700, I'll be sad for a minute and then move on. You would think that people who enjoy a character like Spiderman would share some of the character's values.
    Empty winds scrape on the soul never stop to realize/Animal whisperings intoxicate the night
    Hypnotize the desperate slow motionlight/Wash away into the rain
    Blood, milk and sky....

  5. #215
    Junior Member bluebottle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    158

    Default

    I still say it's not a surprise. It's like when Lennon said the Beatles were bigger than jesus and then they went and played to play a stadium in the south and the KKK showed up with rifles saying they were going to shoot to kill... Was anyone like, "What?! These religious nuts take their Jesus shit seriously?!" No, everyone thought, "Why did he have to go and say that, even if it's true."

    Again, I'm not "justifying", I'm just not shocked, because some people are fucking nuts and take this shit far too seriously.

    Also, I guess saying Lennon shouldn't have said the Beatles were bigger than Jesus is blaming the victim, so I guess that's where the discussion lies.

    And he got shot eventually, so... Yeah. Fucked up world.

    Ok, maybe this is a horrible example.

  6. #216
    Best In The World Legato's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    84,468

    Default

    To those who delivered the death threats. Stop reading Spider-Man and get a life
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

  7. #217
    Man of Marvel Raphael Edwards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Chicago, Il.
    Posts
    547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Zaleski View Post
    I've always loved Dan's writing in the past and this is a heartbreaker for me (hoping it doesn't last long and i'm dropping spider-man for the first time until it does) but yea. I'm pissed but death threats are f'ng absurd
    Yeah, I feel you completely. I love and trust Slott for the most part, and have been backing him for years, but I was crushed by #699 and from what I understand of #700. It just feels so damn wrong. But not to the point that the man deserves a death threat. I plan on sticking with him as he tells some of the best written and planned stories in all of comics, and I doubt Superior will change that, but only for as long as I can stomach it. Slott deserves that much.


    Quote Originally Posted by Rob London View Post
    I know, right? Slott's like a human koala.
    XD

    Quote Originally Posted by EuphemismForSex View Post
    How can anyone threaten anyone at all. I think the story is absolute trash (not because Peter is replaced, but how), but I simply do not have the capacity to exert effort toward actively hating somebody. I would literally sooner do nothing at all than write hate mail, let alone actually act on a threat. I don't know if that's just me, or if I'm lazier than most. Because damn, I am really lazy.
    Yeah lol That too. I've been upset before from plenty of things, but to actually use enough energy to hate and write hateful things, or carry out hateful things is an entirely different issue.

  8. #218
    Be Right Back... Spike-X's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Just above Tasmania
    Posts
    34,920

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ViewtifulJC View Post
    And as for Slott, he's been acting like a toddler about this entire event. For months he's been teasing, prodding, poking, agitating fans about how much you're gonna hate this, how this changes everything, how I'm gonna have to go into a bunker, how you're just gonna RIP that book in half right when you finish it, how I'm not doing any interviews for awhile, and hahaha you guys are gonna be so mad. Then, once the outrage he's been priming up for months happens, he wants to feign outrage and shock that people really don't like this development.

    Again, I'm not saying sending death threats are right, but his behavior about this entire story has been, quite frankly, childish and idiotic. Don't play the fool for months then suddenly get on a high horse when the shit hits the fan like you said for months.
    He's been engaging in some playful teasing, sure. Why? BECAUSE IT'S ONLY A BLOODY COMICBOOK. He's not outraged and shocked that some people aren't happy about what's happening in the story (he was expecting that, as he's said all along), he's pissed off (and probably somewhat fearful) because people have been sending him DEATH THREATS. Over A BLOODY COMICBOOK. That is not acceptable, it's not "to be expected", it's not something he was asking for, and it is something up with which nobody should have to put.
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

  9. #219
    Be Right Back... Spike-X's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Just above Tasmania
    Posts
    34,920

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluebottle View Post
    Because I think if people discuss it honestly and try to figure out why this is happening, maybe it can be prevented from happening again. That's all. I'm sorry if you think I'm passively justifying people's behaviour, I'm honestly not trying to...
    I dunno dude, you're kinda coming across like all those guys who keep saying, "Well, maybe if her skirt hadn't been so short..."

    Quote Originally Posted by bluebottle View Post
    Let me ask you guys this: Do you think they could have done anything differently to prevent this, or is it not their responsibility?
    They could have not done the story, that's about it. But what would that achieve? I don't want to read comicbooks by people afraid to do anything new or different because there are some unhinged fans out there who think sending death threats is an appropriate way to deal with somebody writing a comicbook story they don't like.
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

  10. #220
    Gamebreaker Wellman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,613

    Default

    Not surprised but still disappointing as a comic fan people get this worked up over what is obviously a temporary change.

  11. #221
    Be Right Back... Spike-X's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Just above Tasmania
    Posts
    34,920

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheOther View Post
    The threats are crossing the line.
    Absolutely.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheOther View Post
    Being upset or outraged over it isn't.
    Absolutely. Writers want people to care about their characters. What they don't want is to have to have the bomb squad on standby every time they get a package in the mail.
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

  12. #222
    Be Right Back... Spike-X's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Just above Tasmania
    Posts
    34,920

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wellman View Post
    Not surprised but still disappointing as a comic fan people get this worked up over what is obviously a temporary change.
    I know! Think about it, people! There's a new movie coming out in 2015 with the Peter Parker Spider-Man, of course the comics are going to have to go back to that eventually. The interesting thing will be to see how they get back to there from where they are now, and what happens in the meantime.
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

  13. #223
    Junior Member bluebottle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    I dunno dude, you're kinda coming across like all those guys who keep saying, "Well, maybe if her skirt hadn't been so short..."
    I didn't want to go there, but yeah... I know... And I am definitely not a fan of saying "a woman should dress a certain way because otherwise she's asking for it..."

    And I think that's what this discussion is ultimately about. What do you do in a society where acting a certain way, or saying a certain thing could attract negative attention, get you beat up or even killed?

    There's what's obviously right, but then there's also reality. It'd be great if everyone was fair and nice, but that's not the world we live in.

    I don't know what the answer is, I honestly don't. It's just been such a crazy week for this kind of shit, and it makes you realize there might not be a right answer.

  14. #224
    Be Right Back... Spike-X's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Just above Tasmania
    Posts
    34,920

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ultimatewolf View Post
    If death threats are real then there is no excuse for such goofery. If death threats are manufactured to get even more attention to big sale comic that is even worse.
    What are you suggesting; he's making the whole thing up to get publicity? Christ.

    Quote Originally Posted by ultimatewolf View Post
    Comics are getting less interesting by the day.
    I disagree. The best comics today are as exciting as comics have ever been.
    Last edited by Spike-X; 12-18-2012 at 07:52 PM.
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

  15. #225
    Be Right Back... Spike-X's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Just above Tasmania
    Posts
    34,920

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluebottle View Post
    What do you do in a society where acting a certain way, or saying a certain thing could attract negative attention, get you beat up or even killed?
    Do it anyway. Don't let the terrorists win.
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •