Page 6 of 49 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

I've read the spoilers and fail to see the controversy. Or, I don't see how its worse than many other stories we have seen in recent years. Identity Crisis, House of M, Death of Batman, Captain America's Death, Nightcrawler's Death, Flashpoint...I don't even consider OMD to be in the same category of controversy as some of those others. And even in Slott's Spider-Man run, there have been controversial stories. Death of Hobgoblin, for one. Even though we now know that was "just" Daniel.
    Perfect humility dispenses with modesty.

Death threats or threats of any such kind is never excused. Never. Of course these comics are important to so many, but that doesn't have to go to extremes!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    No way its justified at all. Unfortunately the internet tends to encourage bad behavior. I seriously doubt most people making the threats would be able to follow through. But unfortunately for Dan, he has to be careful just in case. Sad.
    Absolutely. A lot of it's likely just stupid little people engaged in thoughtless, hateful, internet tough talk. But if it's not, if one person is going to act on this, you likely won't know until it's too late. As you said, best to be careful just is case.

Besides that, I've got to wonder how much attention these people actually pay to comics. Did they not learn their lessons from the Clone Saga? The Death of Superman? Knightfall? Emerald Twilight? Batman: RIP? The Death of Captain America? Heroes Reborn? Superhero comics are cyclical by their very nature. Peter Parker will be back before too long. It's the way of these things.

But then, maybe the mistake is mine for expecting rational thought from people who think that threats are an appropriate response to a comic book story they don't like.

Quote Originally Posted by Addams View Post
    The smiley at the end was kinda an indicator that the whole sentence was a joke. Of course it's not because of the price.

What would be the point to send it to Slott anyway ? He's not the one setting the price.
    My serious response was very serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldyella View Post
    People are far more emotional, unstable and dare I say violent than animals. Inexcusable behaviour all the same, but people act like people, which quite often, isnt very nice, all the time.
    Did you really think he meant that literally? I assumed everyone had heard that figure of speech and knows it's intended meaning.
    Why should I want to make anything up? Life's bad enough as it is without trying to invent any more of it.

"First you take a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes you."

Quote Originally Posted by rastafarian42 View Post
    we all know Peter Parker will be back sooner or later
    Yeah, that's something people should really keep in mind. I don't know what's going to happen but that's Peter Parker we are talking about here.

He will be back. That's a given. You don't get rid of such a character for ever as you don't rid of Clark Kent for ever or again of Bruce freaking Wayne.

People overreact over the silliest things nowadays.

Srsly? It's not as if this is a Clone Saga thing. Peter is still Spider-man. A certain someone in #700 does something that, while out of character, is nothing all that controversial. Big woo.

i got all kinds of bent out of shape when DC's new52 debuted. Know what I did in response to express how angry I was? I stopped buying their books.

Spider-man/DCU Moderator ShaggyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldforce View Post
    Trying to understand or explain something is not trying to justify something. That suggestion is absurd and anti-intellectual.

EDIT: Sometimes we try to understand something so that we can solve a problem, as opposed to throw up our hands and say "it's the way of the world" or "should of seen it coming!". That is equally as absurd, btw.
    see the problem is when the explanation being given is "it's the way of the world" or "should of seen it coming" or "what did they expect". When those are the explanations then it is simply justification and not explanation.

Wow this makes me sick.

Threatening somebody over a freaking comic book character. That's so sad.

If you don't like a story just stop reading it. It's that simple, and it's ridiculous that people can't seem to learn it.

Sorry to Dan Slott that he has deal with this ridiculous crap.
    Life looks better in black and white.

The curious one.

Death threats are easy to make over the internet. I think Bendis mentioned that he got some over Dissasembled. I hope the guy/girl/group gets caught. Reminds me of Salmon Rushdie, who I think still has a contract out on him.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyB View Post
    see the problem is when the explanation being given is "it's the way of the world" or "should of seen it coming" or "what did they expect". When those are the explanations then it is simply justification and not explanation.
    That's fair. Which is why I'm trying to figure out if this could have been prevented.

If there were no death threats, if people were outraged, furious, sending hate mail, threatening to never read Spider-Man again, Marvel would be eating it up. But something about this particular campaign pushed the fringe over the edge.

Was it the campaign, or has the world changed?

THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
    Death threats are easy to make over the internet. I think Bendis mentioned that he got some over Dissasembled. I hope the guy/girl/group gets caught. Reminds me of Salmon Rushdie, who I think still has a contract out on him.
    Agreed.

I really hope this person or persons are caught.
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by bluebottle View Post
    That's fair. Which is why I'm trying to figure out if this could have been prevented.

If there were no death threats, if people were outraged, furious, sending hate mail, threatening to never read Spider-Man again, Marvel would be eating it up. But something about this particular campaign pushed the fringe over the edge.

Was it the campaign, or has the world changed?
    What's different about this campaign compared to other big storylines promising change?

Marvel have done drastic things with Spider-man (Clone Saga, OMD) before but it seems with each passing year that some fans have developing softer skins.
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Addams View Post
    Yeah, that's something people should really keep in mind. I don't know what's going to happen but that's Peter Parker we are talking about here.

He will be back. That's a given. You don't get rid of such a character for ever as you don't rid of Clark Kent for ever or again of Bruce freaking Wayne.
    You and I know that, but some people might buy into Wacker's trolling and believe that Peter will never come back.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
    Doesn't Loeb get a lot too?
    Jean Grey, Gwen Stacy, Professor X, Mar-Vell, Richard Rider, Kid Loki- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    You and I know that, but some people might buy into Wacker's trolling and believe that Peter will never come back.

Doesn't Loeb get a lot too?
    And what if Peter doesn't come back?

Does a fictional persons life suddenly become more important than a real one?