Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Swedish Shinigami Dark Soul # 7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuro View Post
    It's been a really long time since I read the IG series, but didn't Thanos like... troll-destroy the likes of Galactus, Infinity/Eternity and so on? People who are capable of GIVING SS whatever powers he has?
    Pretty much.

To be specific, it was a team-up of Galactus (as in the guy who is actually Silver Surfer's boss), Stranger, Epoch, Chaos & Order, Kronos, Love & Hate and two random celestials with Death and Mephisto jumping in afterwards. At first they launched several different assaults that Thanos warded off easily enough. Then Death actually did something and fought against Thanos which made him cry. They all took this chance to blast Thanos into space dust. Thanos then reformed himself and turned them all into hood ornaments for his snazzy death shrine. Then Eternity showed up and got his all-being ass kicked.

What made Thanos cry was Love and Hate messing with his mind as I recall, not Death.

And I still don't know why Mephisto felt the need to announce his presence before making a grab for the Gauntlet.
    Suffering is a fact of life. You survive if you find a reason to endure it.

Swedish Shinigami Dark Soul # 7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    What made Thanos cry was Love and Hate messing with his mind as I recall, not Death.
    Nah, Love and Hate tried to confuse Thanos by having him switch between extreme love and hate for his cosmic bretheren, which always seemed silly to me when compared to the others who were throwing planets at the guy or trying to drown him in the timestream and other such epic assaults. When Death attacked him Thanos cried out in despair.
    And I still don't know why Mephisto felt the need to announce his presence before making a grab for the Gauntlet.
    I always wondered why he didn't try to steal the gauntlet at the same time as Silver Surfer, when Thanos was distracted and relatively weakened.

I wonder if Death had just politely asked him for gauntlet if he would have given it to her?

I can't figure out how you could be informed fully about what the IG is capable of and still think Surfer has a shot. I guess maybe you can blame scans of the gauntlet grab floating around? It's probably been misrepresented.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Valliant View Post
    I wonder if Death had just politely asked him for gauntlet if he would have given it to her?
    Who knows, keep in mind I'm pretty sure at the time of the IG Death had not spoken so much as a single word to Thanos. I remember the recent 12 issue Thanos series from a few years ago where they have a convo and it acts like it's their first.

IIRC Death also kinda laughed at him for thinking the way to please her was to kill everything. Since that means no more death. Whereas leaving things alone..a lot more beings will get the chance to live and thus die. Thanos, a genius, never thought of that for some reason.
    Last edited by Surtur; 12-19-2012 at 06:03 AM.
    A woman can move a lot faster with her skirt up than a man can with his pants down.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    I always wondered why he didn't try to steal the gauntlet at the same time as Silver Surfer, when Thanos was distracted and relatively weakened.
    I'd have gone for it when the heroes (briefly) got the upper hand. Or when Wolverine stabbed him.

Either/or. Certainly would have had a better shot then than when he could kill you with a thought,
    Suffering is a fact of life. You survive if you find a reason to endure it.

BANNED

Or when Wolverine stabbed him.
    NEVER forget to put a sigh in the middle of that sentence. EVER.

Quote Originally Posted by NamorSuperStrong View Post
    well you guys have stated thanos and everybody has there OWN opinion. so you guys won Thanos wins
    Friend, we don't go by opinions here. This isn't about popularity. We go by explicitly shown evidence demonstrated by the combatants. Thanos has already shown in that he is capable of shrugging off Surfer's best efforts of attacking him and is fully capable of reacting to his speed. Transmutation has also proven to be ineffective against Thanos.

Giving him the IG, which allows him to make people like Galactus (who GAVE the Surfer his powers) and Eternity his bitches, is like putting a Gundam against Super Toppa Tengen Gurren Lagann. Or trying to kill a roach by hurling a sun at it.

BANNED

I don't know if this has been posted in this thread yet, and I know most board members are fully familiar with this scan, but for the information of the thread creator:

And then there's this...

So that puts that to bed.
    Last edited by KJ Stewart; 12-19-2012 at 07:26 AM.

BANNED

More...

Basically, Thanos laughs off everything Surfer can offer in terms of attack, and utterly manhandles him himself.

Since this topic is already over, let me ask this...

Why is Thanos so powerful? Is he a mutant of Titan? Did he gain these powers from tasks performed? Did he achieve these through science? Like we know the source of power for most beings. Surfer is from Power Cosmic, Spider-Man from radioactive spider, Superman from Kryptonian DNA with yellow sun, Batman from money and training. Starfox isn't anywhere near this level.

Has it ever been explained?

Quote Originally Posted by BYC View Post
    Since this topic is already over, let me ask this...

Why is Thanos so powerful? Is he a mutant of Titan? Did he gain these powers from tasks performed? Did he achieve these through science? Like we know the source of power for most beings. Surfer is from Power Cosmic, Spider-Man from radioactive spider, Superman from Kryptonian DNA with yellow sun, Batman from money and training. Starfox isn't anywhere near this level.

Has it ever been explained?
    He's basically a mutant who has also been augmented several times by cybernetics, magic, death, etc. At least that was the case the last time I checked.
    A woman can move a lot faster with her skirt up than a man can with his pants down.

DOOM DEMANDS MORE NACHOS!

Quote Originally Posted by Surtur View Post
    He's basically a mutant who has also been augmented several times by cybernetics, magic, death, etc. At least that was the case the last time I checked.
    This, but to be more precise:

He's a Titanian Eternal. Those are weaker and less badass than Earth Eternals (I think they are racial mixes or something), but still something like class 10, flying, immortal, very durable, regenerating folks with the ability to develop other abilities using their internal energy sources.

On top of that, he's a mutant, giving him a base power level that is much higher than (almost) any other Titanian Eternal, though you might be able to argue for his father.

On top of THAT, he's amped by massive training, insanely high-level tech, Doom+++ willpower, magic, cybernetics, etc.

There's a voice, that keeps on calling me....

Nah, Thanos kicks the crap out of Mentor (who in turn kicks the crap out of Starfox).

Thanos is WAY above any other Eternal (Titan or Earth). After that you're probably talking Makkari, Gilgamesh and Sersi. Then peak Zuras, Mentor, Ikaris and Thena. Then... the rest.
    Yes, I know the voices aren't real. But they do have some VERY good ideas....

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Thanos is WAY above any other Eternal
    Even Louise Redknapp nee Nurding?