Default Lone Ranger's Newest Trailer

On the heels of the news that Jack White took a bullet to the knee and the much more epic scoring Hans Zimmer has a snake in his boot comes the latest hoof thunder from our masked hero and his Native American brah Tonto in a hot off the iron horseshow that shows Disney knows how to make Westerns cool again.

Really? Aside from the fact that it is directed by Gore Verbinsky (who Directed the first 3 POTC), it bears NO resemblance what so ever to POTC. POTC: COTBP was an epic sweeping film with beautiful scenery, colorful characters and a rollicking supernatural bent.

The Lone Ranger appears to be a more grounded gritty western with hard, fast action and a strong team-up of the Lone Ranger and Tonto. Tonto being indian would of course equate the Rangers seemingly miraculous return from the dead as supernatural. But that doesn't make it so. It will likely be left open to interpretation.

There was NO disputing the supernatural aspects of POTC.

I was concerned that Tonto would be a bit too much like Capt. Jack, but this trailer sells me on the fact that Depp is doing a great job of not aping his POTC character in this. Depp is probably one of the best character leading actors in the U.S. He can seemingly play anything well.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Clark View Post
    Really? Aside from the fact that it is directed by Gore Verbinsky (who Directed the first 3 POTC), it bears NO resemblance what so ever to POTC. POTC: COTBP was an epic sweeping film with beautiful scenery, colorful characters and a rollicking supernatural bent.

The Lone Ranger appears to be a more grounded gritty western with hard, fast action and a strong team-up of the Lone Ranger and Tonto. Tonto being indian would of course equate the Rangers seemingly miraculous return from the dead as supernatural. But that doesn't make it so. It will likely be left open to interpretation.

There was NO disputing the supernatural aspects of POTC.

I was concerned that Tonto would be a bit too much like Capt. Jack, but this trailer sells me on the fact that Depp is doing a great job of not aping his POTC character in this. Depp is probably one of the best character leading actors in the U.S. He can seemingly play anything well.
    It certainly is refreshing to see that Depp is giving Tonto his own unique quirkiness that is totally independent of that of Jack Sparrow's character which just goes to emphasize Johnny's skill as an actor. While Gore Verbinski and Bruckheimer have said that "The Lone Ranger" will feature supernatural phenomena I agree that it won't remotely be in a vein similar to that of Pirates of the Caribbean. I'm thinking that if anything it'll be more naturalistic and earthy seeing as this is a Western and not as otherworldly as that of the Pirates saga. Disney will want there to be a diversity and uniqueness to be set between the Pirates and Lone Ranger franchises.

Looks really good

Default Excited to see this

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalTailor View Post
    It certainly is refreshing to see that Depp is giving Tonto his own unique quirkiness that is totally independent of that of Jack Sparrow's character which just goes to emphasize Johnny's skill as an actor. While Gore Verbinski and Bruckheimer have said that "The Lone Ranger" will feature supernatural phenomena I agree that it won't remotely be in a vein similar to that of Pirates of the Caribbean. I'm thinking that if anything it'll be more naturalistic and earthy seeing as this is a Western and not as otherworldly as that of the Pirates saga. Disney will want there to be a diversity and uniqueness to be set between the Pirates and Lone Ranger franchises.
    Love the "snake in his boot" comment! Jack White is great, but Hans Zimmer is the perfect choice to score this film. Agree with you the other poster here who says Depp isn't recycling Sparrow. Those claiming he is are the same trolls who throw out the trollish and baseless kneejerk reactions to any combination of Depp/Carter/Burton or who complain he never plays a role sans heavy theatrical makeup when, if they actually saw his films, they'd know he's played 3 such roles in the last 2-3 yrs (Public Enemies, Rum Diary, Tourist). The only connection between Tonto & Sparrow is that the same actor plays both characters and some personal characteristics are going to come through.

BTW: Did you know that years ago for the Once Upon a Time in Mexico soundtrack, Depp & some of his musician friends composed "Sand's Theme" under the band name "Tonto's Giant Nuts?"

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalTailor View Post
    On the heels of the news that Jack White took a bullet to the knee and the much more epic scoring Hans Zimmer has a snake in his boot comes the latest hoof thunder from our masked hero and his Native American brah Tonto in a hot off the iron horseshow that shows Disney knows how to make Westerns cool again.

So not only is Johnny Depp playing the part over an actual Native American, but he's getting top billing over the Lone Ranger himself. I like Depp and he looks entertaining in the trailer, but geez.

Really? Aside from the fact that it is directed by Gore Verbinsky (who Directed the first 3 POTC), it bears NO resemblance what so ever to POTC.
    Well, beyond also having Depp.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

BANNED

I am genuinly intrigued.

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    Well, beyond also having Depp.
    That almost seems to suggest that you think Depp is a one note actor and that everything he is in reminds you of POTC. Surely that's not what you meant.

That almost seems to suggest that you think Depp is a one note actor and that everything he is in reminds you of POTC. Surely that's not what you meant.
    Not really, no.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

I don't know if you guys have seen this: > > > > http://www.superherohype.com/news/ar...coming-in-2013