Default You need to read NIGHT FORCE

I was in a comic shop over the weekend and saw something on the shelf that I had forgotten was out - the NIGHT FORCE limited series. I immediately picked up issues 1-7 off the shelf. Sunday and Monday, I read through those issues and was COMPLETELY entertained by this series!!!!!

I wish it was selling a lot better. A great horror genre comic. A strong lead character in the Baron. Interesting storyline.

It's all here. And by Wolfman and Mandrake!!!!!

If you haven't tried it yet, you really should!

It's a decent mini. I expected a bit more, being a fan of the original Night Force and Tom Mandrake in general, but it was a solid horror mini with a cool plot that doesn't really fulfill its premise. Worth checking out.

I remember reading the first issue and thinking it was absolutely awful. I think I called it the worst thing I had read all year. It just wasn't for me.
    DC: ASW ● A. Man ● Batgirl ● Batman ● Batwoman ● BoP ● E2 ● Flash ● Dial H ● JLD ● Wonder Woman
    Marvel: Av ● C. Mar ● Hawkguy ● N.Av ● Thor ● W&XM
    Other: Saga ● Red Sonja

Junior Member Judge-Sergeant-Marron's Avatar

I was hoping they'd bring out a TPB collection but it doesn't look like that's gonna happen. The older series was getting a trade earlier in the year but that too was cancelled.
    PULL LIST: ALL-STAR WESTERN - TRILLIUM - COFFIN HILL - THOR: GOD OF THUNDER - X-MEN: LEGACY - RED TEAM - SAMURAI JACK - PROPHET - PRETTY DEADLY - ZERO - STARLIGHT - 2000AD - ROGUE TROOPER

I really liked the old Night Force series but I found myself very disappointed in this new mini. It just didn't read well to me. On one hand, I think the plot pretty good but on the other I just didn't care about any of the characters. I just don't think they brought home the horror that was happening to the two mains. And the Baron seemed almost as out of place or could have been just any common Joe. It was like this stuff happened and sometimes it was because of this stuff but in the end it was all just some stuff that really wasn't worth talking about.

+1 for anything Tom Mandrake
    Pull-list: Action Comics, Batman, Superior Spider-Man, Flash, Daredevil, Ms Marvel, Silver Surfer, Thor: God of Thunder

I thought the art was really, really good, but I'm not a fan of Wolfman's writing, it reads as too dated.
    Saga, Private Eye, Chew, Umbral, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly

She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor

Quote Originally Posted by El Sombrero View Post
    I thought the art was really, really good, but I'm not a fan of Wolfman's writing, it reads as too dated.
    And I'm just the opposite. I might have enjoyed Wolfman's writing, but I don't care for the art style, so I didn't buy it. I have the original Night Force series, and I have the same problem with the art.
    Current favorites: Claymore, Puella Magi Kazumi Magica, A Certain Scientific Railgun, Justice League, Birds of Prey

I read about half of the first issue and thought it sucked. It takes a lot for me to not finish a comic.

I loved it.

Napoleon of Crime Professor Moriarty's Avatar

what happened to the trade paper back of the original series?

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Moriarty View Post
    what happened to the trade paper back of the original series?
    I figured that the pre-orders have been too low and it was cancelled. I think that's what happened to another trade I was looking forward to also. It sucks too

I'm a fan of the original Wolfman run and was wondering if I should pick this up, looks like it from the positive feed back.

Also there are no TPGs for the original run!!! At least I've never found one

EDIT:

Searched for awhile but found a TPG of the original is/was available on DC Comics Online. Weird I couldn't find it on my normal go-to The Comic Book Database.
    Last edited by Ood Omega; 12-28-2012 at 05:37 AM.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

I really liked it :)
    Currently enjoying: Batman, Detective Comics, American Vampire, Saga, The Wake, Letter 44, The Manhattan Projects, Atomic Robo, East of West, Ghosted, FBP...