Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Addams View Post
    He did that to famous people, no average joes here and yeah, i totally agree, he never would have had 10 years if no celebrities were involved.
    Dude, go read the article again. The whole thing this time. Seriously, what the fuck?

**tastes soup**

Hmmm...not enough ignorance and inattention. A few more posters, I think.
    'Dox out.

"But I think the difference is, when Democrats go crazy, they get shown the door. When Republicans go crazy they get appointed to the Science committee. " - Shawn Hopkins

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

Champions: The Conclave
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

Quote Originally Posted by Addams View Post
    He did that to famous people, no average joes here and yeah, i totally agree, he never would have had 10 years if no celebrities were involved.

Not even sure he would have been sentenced to jail.
    it was 2 celebrities the rest were various people....I think this is setting a precedent for electronic crimes, the law has taken some time to catch up
    Support your local roller derby league

Quote Originally Posted by passer-by View Post
    But that didn't actually happen here, did it? 10 years for a conjecture (potential for manslaughter due to mental harassment?) seems a bit harsh, I think.
    Ten years is for the multiple felonies he committed, not any conjecture, It is less than 2 months per felony
    Pain shared is divided, joy shared is multiplied

Quote Originally Posted by passer-by View Post
    But that didn't actually happen here, did it? 10 years for a conjecture (potential for manslaughter due to mental harassment?) seems a bit harsh, I think.
    No, I'm not saying he should be punished because someone could have committed suicide. I'm saying what he did was absolutely despicable, and the fact that the same exact type of thing has hurt so many beyond repair is just an example of how low it is. I don't feel sorry for the guy. No conjecture, hacking should carry a fitting punishment, this guy was a repeat offender and I think the punishment is fitting. It's like robbery, and if someone had been found guilty to fifty counts of robbery he might be looking at a similar sentence.
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

I don't think this guy would have gotten this kind of punishment if he had hacked 50 non-celebrities.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Maybe, maybe not, but he still should have gotten it.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Quote Originally Posted by Ood Friend View Post
    I don't think this guy would have gotten this kind of punishment if he had hacked 50 non-celebrities.
    From the article in the OP:
    "Prosecutors said Chaney, 35, of Jacksonville, Fla., also targeted two women he knew, sending nude pictures of one former co-worker to her father. The judge noted the damage to the women was in some ways worse than what Chaney's celebrity victims endured."

The judge didn't base the sentence on the celebrity case, more on the ordinary women that were targeted.

Quote Originally Posted by macul View Post
    From the point of view of someone who works in information security I'd say 10 years in jail is not enough. Cracking (or hacking as the media refers to it) is a serious breach of security and privacy. Just because the person did not physically break into a house or a business makes it no less of a crime.
    How often do people who commit B&E in the U.S. get 10 years?
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    How often do people who commit B&E in the U.S. get 10 years?
    A quick google gave this:
    If its the first offense.. the person may face no less than two years in prison and no more than ten years. If its the second offense, they may face no less than 4 years and no more than fifteen.

So 10 years doesn't seem to be abnormal.

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

I saw the pics that leaked online. I can understand the feelings of those who were hurt by it. This is the most horrible thing to do to people and once they got exposed online for billions of people to potentially see , it would hurt anyone. So yes its a harsh sentence , but the man who did this didn't seem to care about hurting anyone else.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

Weird to thing that it's less risky for you to rape a woman than to hack some e-mails.

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Green Condom View Post
    Weird to thing that it's less risky for you to rape a woman than to hack some e-mails.
    I think its been posted...he's been busted 3 times for this same offense. They finally threw the book at him pretty hard over it.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy D View Post
    A quick google gave this:
    If its the first offense.. the person may face no less than two years in prison and no more than ten years. If its the second offense, they may face no less than 4 years and no more than fifteen.

So 10 years doesn't seem to be abnormal.
    I know a lot of people that got under a year county time for burglary. But I know some that got sent up the river too. Usually parolees though.
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

Quote Originally Posted by dupont2005 View Post
    I know a lot of people that got under a year county time for burglary. But I know some that got sent up the river too. Usually parolees though.
    You're comparing apples and oranges. Because of the way Federal sentencing works with the sentencing guidelines judges have very little discretion in sentencing.