Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Who would be a good on-screen Riddler?

Warners were pushing hard for him to be the villain for TDKR and they still regard him as their best bad guy after the Joker, largely because of how well Batman Forever performed.

So it's likely that whoever gets chosen to write the next Batman movie will have to use him.

I'm not sure who would be the ideal choice to play him though. Most decent actors who can play intelligent psychopaths have already committed to other superhero movies. The ideal choice would be Benedict Cumberbatch of BBC's Sherlock but he'll already have had a major outing as a villain in the next Star Trek. So maybe Jesse Eisenberg, the guy who played Mark Zuckerberg as a gifted, driven, somewhat amoral outcast in the Social Network.

Also since the threat he poses is mostly cerebral, you'd want a second antagonist to challenge Bats physically. My own pick for that would be Lady Shiva since she's never had a movie appearance and offers a different challenge from Bane or Ra's.
    The two most powerful warriors are patience and time - Leo Tolstoy

Frank Gorshin really defined the Riddler, so somebody with a bit of his influence would be cool, though in a less over-the-top style for the modern take and whatnot.

Riddler has got to have charm and humor to go along with his madness and menace. Michael C. Hall (Dexter) would be a cool choice I think. I'll throw Killer Croc into the mix as the secondary villain, hopefully the next Bat series is stylized and can have stuff like that. Love Nolan's trilogy, but look forward to a different take, for variety.
    DROKK IT!!

In a few years Jesse Eisenberg could make a really cool (although non theatric) riddler.

But honestly, I think with the right script Jim Carrey could have been the perfect riddler.

DiCaprio no doubt or Charlie hunnam I think is his name. The guy that plays Jax in sons of anarchy.
    Pull List: Aquaman, Death of the Family, Ultimate Comics Spider Man, Uncanny Avengers, Secret Service, Locke and Key & I, Vampire

Grayson fanboy. TheGoshDarnBatman's Avatar

Cumberbatch is one of my favorite actors working today but he lacks the madcap element that the Riddler requires.

Michael C. Hall would be a good choice, and I still think David Tennant would do a great job.
    Call me A.J.
    Hawkeye, Batman Inc., Batman, Daredevil, The Amazing Spider-Man, All New X-Men, Avengers, New Avengers, Fantastic Four, FF, Thor: God of Thunder, Detective Comics.

It would be a slightly different take, but I'd like to see Jeremy Irons in the role.

David Tennant forever.

Tennant is a great choice but so is John Simms or David Moriseey

Quote Originally Posted by cactusmaac View Post
    Warners were pushing hard for him to be the villain for TDKR and they still regard him as their best bad guy after the Joker, largely because of how well Batman Forever performed.

So it's likely that whoever gets chosen to write the next Batman movie will have to use him.

I'm not sure who would be the ideal choice to play him though. Most decent actors who can play intelligent psychopaths have already committed to other superhero movies. The ideal choice would be Benedict Cumberbatch of BBC's Sherlock but he'll already have had a major outing as a villain in the next Star Trek. So maybe Jesse Eisenberg, the guy who played Mark Zuckerberg as a gifted, driven, somewhat amoral outcast in the Social Network.

Also since the threat he poses is mostly cerebral, you'd want a second antagonist to challenge Bats physically. My own pick for that would be Lady Shiva since she's never had a movie appearance and offers a different challenge from Bane or Ra's.
    Where did you get this from? I'm not saying you're wrong, but with that logic everyone who appeared in the Nolan movies (Two-Face, Ra's, Scarecrow, Thalia, Bane, Catwoman) would be above Riddler due to the box office success of the movies they appeared in. Riddler is probably among the most well known Bat-rogues to the general public due to the 60's show and his general presence in pop culture, but it would surprise me hugely if WB considered him their second most bankable bad guy.
    "Doesn't everyone on here hate comics? Isn't this a forum where a bunch of middle aged men sit around and bitch about how they hate comics and haven't read them in twenty years?" -Mezzaro-

I'm dressed to thrill! Murrocko's Avatar

David Tennant or Andrew Scott
    "My former associate has a thing for bats? You took up a pipe to quit smoking cigarettes? Wait, howzabout - holy mistaken identity!"

--Nightwing

BANNED

Don't think Andrew Scott should play Moriarty AND Riddler.

I'm dressed to thrill! Murrocko's Avatar

He was such a good Morriarty though, I'd love to see him in a similar role again.
    "My former associate has a thing for bats? You took up a pipe to quit smoking cigarettes? Wait, howzabout - holy mistaken identity!"

--Nightwing

I'd say Joseph Gordon Levitt if he hadn't already been in TDKR. He was rumored to be in contention to play the Riddler back when we knew the movie was coming but before we knew a thing about it. I was skeptical until I saw him host Saturday Night Live and deliver the most madcap monologue you could ever imagine, complete with backflips and other stunts. I remember watching that and thinking, "All right, I'm hooked. Bring him on!"

I think you'd first need to come up with a take on the character that could work, on-screen, before figuring out who you want to play the guy.

For that specific version, no one has done it better than Gorshin.
    DC: Action Comics - Detective Comics - Batman and... - Batman - Justice League
    Marvel: All-New X-Factor

double-post, thanks CBR.
    DC: Action Comics - Detective Comics - Batman and... - Batman - Justice League
    Marvel: All-New X-Factor