Page 55 of 83 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by glennsim View Post
    There's also the issue of "Robin" being perceived as a girly-name for a boy, and thus explains why he went by John Blake. Other than "Dick" jokes, there's no reason why he would not just go by Richard Grayson all the time. Also, "Robin" was just a first name, whereas he would have had to have been "John Grayson" throughout the whole movie.
    Yes, it works for the story. No doubt about that. A name change from Richard Grayson, however would have been assumed as an unrevealed personal reason. John is the name of Dick's dad, anyway.
    Characters: Elongated Man, Batman, Satellite JLA, Super Buddies, Sandman, Swamp Thing
    Writers: Moore, Gaiman, Cooke, Giffen/DeMatteis, Miller, Dini, Morrison, Waid, Meltzer, McDuffie, Barr, Englehart

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell D. View Post
    He's the villain of the piece.
    The fact that he is killing worse villains than he doesn't diminish that fact, at all.
    Again, that doesn't fall off the definition of antihero.

Look
    it
    up.

Punisher is no hero, but personally, and this bit is actually more of a debate since the definition of villain is grayer, I don't see him as a villain either.

Regardless of how we define him, this doesn't mean that he's not capable of heroic actions in addition to his questionable ones. Creating a character with a moral code that allows him to commit both heroic and sinful actions is not a bad thing.
    Characters: Elongated Man, Batman, Satellite JLA, Super Buddies, Sandman, Swamp Thing
    Writers: Moore, Gaiman, Cooke, Giffen/DeMatteis, Miller, Dini, Morrison, Waid, Meltzer, McDuffie, Barr, Englehart

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rafa-Rivas-2099 View Post

Look
    it
    up.

Punisher is no hero, but personally, and this bit is actually more of a debate since the definition of villain is grayer, I don't see him as a villain either.

Regardless of how we define him, this doesn't mean that he's not capable of heroic actions in addition to his questionable ones. Creating a character with a moral code that allows him to commit both heroic and sinful actions is not a bad thing.
    So by the other guys definition Heroes don't ever kill??

Pretty stupid if you ask me.

BANNED

Yeah while Punisher might be wrong and unheroic in his actions, just saying he isn't an antihero and is just a murderer grossly oversimplifies it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    I think I agree about Punisher's morality, but I think for me, anti-hero is broader than that. He's an antihero because he's the protagonist. In the same way Walter White is an antihero. I guess it's just semantics anyway.
    I agree, but at the end of the day, the man is a mass murderer, being judge and executioner for thousands of people.
    I love the stories; I understand the motivation, however slim, there is to somewhat justify his morality.
    But, really, he's just a murderer that kills criminals because he is addicted to killing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Yeah while Punisher might be wrong and unheroic in his actions, just saying he isn't an antihero and is just a murderer grossly oversimplifies it.
    I don't understand how the Punisher is wrong...

He's killing only the most vile people amongst the human race.

Throughout history and literature Heroes have always killed...

Quote Originally Posted by Rafa-Rivas-2099 View Post

Look
    it
    up.

There was a great bit in 'Up is down, Black is White', in which Castle dreams, in which he kills every criminal, and then turns the gun on the innocent bystanders, because he has to kill something.
    It was a harrowing look into his psyche...Ennis nailed the absolute core of the character.

The more comics seemed to move away from being a visual medium to being writer driven and not good writing either. The less popular they have become.

I'd always figured if he ever won he'd kill the last criminal standing, himself.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cliffhanger View Post
    The more comics seemed to move away from being a visual medium to being writer driven and not good writing either. The less popular they have become.
    this post is so out of left field and not even close to being the truth...

Since decompression is used in modern comics, the stories are heavily driven by art and expressions on the characters faces.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Krunk View Post
    I don't understand how the Punisher is wrong...

He's killing only the most vile people amongst the human race.

Throughout history and literature Heroes have always killed...
    He's the ultimate revenge fantasy, but he's not a hero.
    Especially in a civilized society, in which his stories take place.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell D. View Post
    He's the ultimate revenge fantasy, but he's not a hero.
    Especially in a civilized society, in which his stories take place.
    No in a civilized society criminals plead insanity and are allowed back on the streets to rape, pillage and plunder all over again.. The proof is quite visible in America.

Sometimes a hero has to make the hardest decisions for the greater good.

And lets be honest, the Punisher has never killed anyone who the "greater good" would miss.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Krunk View Post
    No in a civilized society criminals plead insanity and are allowed back on the streets to rape, pillage and plunder all over again.. The proof is quite visible in America.
    Criminals that plead insanity on average spend more time locked up that criminals that are convicted.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mat001 View Post
    If it doesn't matter, why bring it up?
    I meant what you said was irrelevant. Still, I was just making a comment. Don't know why some people seem to have such strong fellings on this, but if you want to debate I'll debate.
    Last edited by Bruce Kent; 01-10-2013 at 03:45 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDracul View Post
    Criminals that plead insanity on average spend more time locked up that criminals that are convicted.
    Regardless, how many times have you read a story about a criminal or rapist being allowed back onto the streets only to commit those crimes again...

Trust me when I tell you, no one and I mean no one gives a rats ass if a rapist is taken out vigilante style.

id also like to see your evidence on the statement you made.. Sounds made up if you ask me.