Page 17 of 83 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 255 of 1242
  1. #241
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Suffolk, England
    Posts
    3,113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    That's not how digital comics work. You can raed your books on Comixology's site, you don't actually get to download any fils you can back up.
    So you are paying good money not to actually own anything.

  2. #242
    Veteran Member glennsim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Madison, MS
    Posts
    6,306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tony ingram View Post
    So you are paying good money not to actually own anything.
    Which is offset by the fact that you can re-download it whenever you want, unlike a physical copy which, if lost, is gone forever.
    The DC relaunch was successful and was executed in what was most likely the best way it could given restrictions we wouldn't know about. No, your idea wouldn't have worked. Now move on.

  3. #243
    Veteran Member glennsim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Madison, MS
    Posts
    6,306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tony ingram View Post
    So, sales of American comics are no longer declining steadily year after year? Thanks for that news. I can't imagine how the publishers all missed it...
    Actually, sales look to be up this year. So technically the answer to your first question would be "no."
    The DC relaunch was successful and was executed in what was most likely the best way it could given restrictions we wouldn't know about. No, your idea wouldn't have worked. Now move on.

  4. #244
    Veteran Member glennsim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Madison, MS
    Posts
    6,306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jackdaw53 View Post
    Whip W, Hi. Never used system, so didn't know how it works. (Looks like general consensus is that there's no easy way to back up on own device. But... on other hand... see at least few users say that comixology comics, once down loaded on I-pad, can be viewed subsequently on I-pad without wifi connection in place. So must be some file left on own device??)
    Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    That's not how digital comics work. You can raed your books on Comixology's site, you don't actually get to download any fils you can back up.
    As I understand it, if you are using a tablet with an app, then the file is downloaded to the app and you can then read it offline. But the file is embedded in the app, so you can't juggle individual comics files around. I'm not sure but I assume that if you back up the entire tablet's contents, the comics would be backed up as well.

    However, if you are viewing over a regular PC by going to the Web site, then you are essentially "streaming" the comic, and the file doesn't reside on your PC. This is presumably because there are a much greater number of people who have the knowhow to break in to their computers files and rip the comic files out of them for pirating, if the file was there.

    Here's a great article on the basics of digital comics: http://marvelmasterworksfansite.yuku...1#.UNMc37nnaUk
    The DC relaunch was successful and was executed in what was most likely the best way it could given restrictions we wouldn't know about. No, your idea wouldn't have worked. Now move on.

  5. #245
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Suffolk, England
    Posts
    3,113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by glennsim View Post
    Which is offset by the fact that you can re-download it whenever you want, unlike a physical copy which, if lost, is gone forever.
    You're all going to look pretty silly when the inevitable happens and that company goes out of business taking 'your' files with them...

  6. #246
    Elder Member Jeff Brady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    12,366

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tony ingram View Post
    You're all going to look pretty silly when the inevitable happens and that company goes out of business taking 'your' files with them...
    Considering that company is propped up by Diamond and the publishers, the chances of that happening are pretty slim. And if the Singularity does occur, the publishers themselves will host the files, because Comixology will have given them all of the subscribers' account information.
    Google is your friend. Have a question? Look it up. ∙ BlogSequential Salon

  7. #247
    Senior Member Whip Whirlwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tony ingram View Post
    You're all going to look pretty silly when the inevitable happens and that company goes out of business taking 'your' files with them...
    Just curious, but do you have any digitally downloaded anything?

    Not saying you're wrong, but due to how easy it is to copy and redistribute files as opposed to physical objects, most companies operate on the "you don't own it, you're licensing it" model. Otherwise, you would be free to copy and redistribute as you see fit, since you own it.

    I haven't checked Comixology's EULA, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is some provision that states that if they go out of business you could still access your comics. Does anyone know for sure?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Brady View Post
    Considering that company is propped up by Diamond and the publishers, the chances of that happening are pretty slim. And if the Singularity does occur, the publishers themselves will host the files, because Comixology will have given them all of the subscribers' account information.
    Also, this.

    And, unless comixology goes down really really hard (to the point that it kills the brand name), WB, Disney, or Diamond (if they're still around) would most likely try to buy them out.

  8. #248
    Veteran Member glennsim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Madison, MS
    Posts
    6,306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Brady View Post
    Considering that company is propped up by Diamond and the publishers, the chances of that happening are pretty slim. And if the Singularity does occur, the publishers themselves will host the files, because Comixology will have given them all of the subscribers' account information.
    Yeah, for there to be a problem:

    a) Comixology would have to go out of business.
    b) ...with nobody buying them out
    c) ...with them not giving the publishers the information

    I was reading an article about the top 10 or so worst business decisions (like Kodak sticking with film instead of digital, stuff like that). In about 75% of the cases, the end result was the company being bought out or some other thing like that. Very few just disappear.
    The DC relaunch was successful and was executed in what was most likely the best way it could given restrictions we wouldn't know about. No, your idea wouldn't have worked. Now move on.

  9. #249
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Suffolk, England
    Posts
    3,113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whip Whirlwind View Post
    Just curious, but do you have any digitally downloaded anything?
    No. Buying a service like a telephone or internet connection is one thing, but I won't generally spend money on something I can't physically hold and keep. If I want music, I buy a CD (or a record, or a casette; yes, I still play them, and they still work), if I want a movie I buy the DVD, and I'm not interested in reading comics or books off a screen: I'm a collector, I need to own stuff.

  10. #250
    Marquis de carabas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Belgium.
    Posts
    31,741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Addams View Post
    Doesn't change the fact that they have been written for kids. Read any interview with Gosciny, Uderzo or Herge.

    That's not even a serious question.
    Care to link me to some that aren't in French? Seriously. Googled around a bit but can't find any.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

  11. #251
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    445

    Default

    Thanks glennsim for bringing sense into this discussion.

    Some people in this thread are acting like mainstream superhero comics are the only ones that existent and there's no such thing as The Walking Dead and all successful IDW comics.

  12. #252
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Suffolk, England
    Posts
    3,113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonemachine View Post
    Thanks glennsim for bringing sense into this discussion.

    Some people in this thread are acting like mainstream superhero comics are the only ones that existent and there's no such thing as The Walking Dead and all successful IDW comics.
    Well, there are considerably more thanthose two examples. But that doesn't change the fact that comics sales have been falling for decades across the board.

  13. #253
    Veteran Member glennsim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Madison, MS
    Posts
    6,306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tony ingram View Post
    Well, there are considerably more thanthose two examples. But that doesn't change the fact that comics sales have been falling for decades across the board.
    Yes, but if they try to change to appeal to a larger audience, there are apparently people who will stop buying them at the drop of a hat.
    The DC relaunch was successful and was executed in what was most likely the best way it could given restrictions we wouldn't know about. No, your idea wouldn't have worked. Now move on.

  14. #254
    Senior Member Whip Whirlwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tony ingram View Post
    No. Buying a service like a telephone or internet connection is one thing, but I won't generally spend money on something I can't physically hold and keep. If I want music, I buy a CD (or a record, or a casette; yes, I still play them, and they still work), if I want a movie I buy the DVD, and I'm not interested in reading comics or books off a screen: I'm a collector, I need to own stuff.
    Fair enough. Wasn't criticizing you, it just seemed like you thought the lack of ownership was an issue with comixology in particular as opposed to a widespread issue that effects pretty much every digital "product".

    I think with comics though it's definitely something that they need to look into further, since a lot of readers do have that collector mentality. Unfortunately most attempts at implementing DRM that allows you to actually own a digital product end up making use of that product so complicated that its not even worth it.

    On the other hand, I think plenty of companies would be better off just accepting piracy as an inevitability, and instead focus on providing a product that has enough value and is easily accessible enough that it's not worth it.

  15. #255
    Senior Member MFitzH2O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The Open Road
    Posts
    1,037

    Default

    Just wondering: why no adds in digital? Don't get me wrong, it's nice to watch TV without the commercials, but in comics, the 'fast-forward' button is a flick of the page. Without the cost of paper and printing, adding back in the adds ... wouldn't that add bank to their bottom line?

    Quote Originally Posted by tony ingram View Post
    Well, there are considerably more thanthose two examples. But that doesn't change the fact that comics sales have been falling for decades across the board.
    This is because they're not readily accessible to the general public. They're not on newsstands, they're not in racks at the grocery store, they're not even at bloody Walmart. They're in small, obscure specialty stores. Kids don't run into them anymore, mom won't buy them to keep the kids quiet. They were largely impulse buys and now have to be sought out. Fix it? convince chain stores to put 'em on the magazine racks again. And that's easy to do. Everyone write to all the chain stores grocery and otherwise and ask for it. Not one letter with 10000 signatures, but 10000 letters each with one.

    It's an easy fix: demand it. The sales will follow as will a new generation of fans.
    Last edited by MFitzH2O; 12-20-2012 at 11:15 AM.
    A robotic journey toward the American Dream: MADE in USA.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •