Page 12 of 83 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast
    pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tylenoljones View Post
    Do you think upping the page count to say, 100 pages per issue not including ads, and bumping the price up further would be more viable? Maybe abandoning the "comic" format and just print a monthly "Batman" magazine that's the same size and sits on the shelf at a similar price point to every other magazine?
    I was thinking even doing it the Manga magazine way. Have 1 magazine have a variety of comic stories in it. You can have like a monthly Gotham Magazine that has 15 pages of Batman, 15 pages of 'Tec, 10 pages of BoP, 10 pages of Batgirl, etc etc. Have a monthly DC Magic magazine w/ JLD, SoS, Dial H, and DK w/ 12 pages each, interviews, previews, etc. Maybe make all the mags $8? Isn't that about how much most magazines cost?

I'm not sure how viable it'd be as a business model for american comic reading fans. But I sure as hell would be interested in it.
    Comics were happier before the Internet turned writing superhero stories into fruitless attempts to impress/entertain a small group of ppl who appear to hate comics and their creators.
    Grant Morrison

I agree with all that less crossovers and more consistent creative teams are a must for the quality of Marvel/DC books, and would improve the quality. But quality doesn't equal sales, if it did something like say Invincible which is near 100 issues with one team would be selling like crazy. Though Kirkman's other 100 issue book Walking Dead is doing very well. I agree we should strive for quality, but that doesn't fix all the sales and money issues.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Looking at other mediums, mangas release in graphic novel form or large magazines from what I've seen. Videogame systems have been sold at a loss by all three big publishers, with the idea that the money would be more than made back elsewhere. Microsoft apparently didn't care it was losing so much money on the XBOX for years. Granted it's Microsoft. Disney and Warner Bros. are already making much more money off of DC and Marvel from other mediums like movies or cartoons than they are from the comics themselves. I'm no business genius, but it might be more profitable for the parent companies to forget about making a profit on the comics themselves and focus on maxamising the exposure of the comics with the aim of making more money from other mediums
    Even if selling at a loss somehow did work for Marvel and DC, which I don't think it would, that would be very bad for the industry overall. How would creator owned indie comics compete at all if huge corporation backed publishers are selling at super low prices for a loss? This would probably kill creativity in general.

Do you think upping the page count to say, 100 pages per issue not including ads, and bumping the price up further would be more viable? Maybe abandoning the "comic" format and just print a monthly "Batman" magazine that's the same size and sits on the shelf at a similar price point to every other magazine?
    I don't think this would help, since the anthology format seems to have not done all that well in the US. Plus the higher price would probably be an issue. Judge Dredd Megazine is around 132 pages, and that costs 12 bucks.

Plus, I guess that'd be putting say Batman, Detective Comics, Dark Knight, and Batman & Robin into one book. Since not every Bat fan likes all of those titles, this would probably not be preferred by most comic fans. Plus many titles are truly stand alone, and well, the anthology format hasn't taken off here. Shonen Jump recently switched to online digital only. Also, Crossgen comics tried the anthology format in the early 2000s and it failed massively.

Interesting subject. I'd love for prices to go down, but it does seem tough for that to be a viable thing.
    Last edited by PsychoGoatee; 12-18-2012 at 01:30 PM.
    DROKK IT!!

Yeah, I should've been more clear in the example I was using. But it would apply to books like Green Lantern as well. I was never a Hal Jordan fan (or a Johns fan, really), but for awhile there I was following Tomasi's GLC book, until I got frustrated that every few months GLC was pulled into the next big crossover. Eventually this led to me swearing off on the entire Green Lantern line, probably just before Blackest Night. And I'm a reader that's used to this industry; I can't imagine someone with a limited budget trying to get into comics in the midst of one of these big storylines. And with the exception of the first few months of the new52, there's always a big crossover going on. If we're including Marvel in this discussion, then even that time period wouldn't work, because AvX was kicking off.
    I felt the same way, but was able to endure blackest night. Sadly the moment I was given a good jumping off point (post BN) I dropped the title because I knew it would be forced to revolve around the color corps and inevitably Johns' next event.

I tried GLC and NG after the reboot, but was very disappointed as my assumptions were confirmed. Which sucks, because ever since REBELS I was dying for Bedard to get a GL book.

At the same time though, a crossover done right is really fun, and I think in moderation they are awesome.

dunno...let them know that they shouldnt try so hard to micromanage writers into forced crossovers and instead let them tell good stories... maybe its just me

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by nebezial View Post
    dunno...let them know that they shouldnt try so hard to micromanage writers into forced crossovers and instead let them tell good stories... maybe its just me
    While I would love that, it'st the opposite that generates sales today.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

True, and that does happen from time to time.
    Not the *entire* album, though.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    faze (v.): to cause to be disturbed or disconcerted; to stun

phase (n.):
    a stage in a process of change or development

Get it right, people.

Has there been any hard evidence that links increased digital sales with decreased print sales? I know the go to argument against digital is that it would cannibalize print sales, but is there anything that indicates with reasonable evidence that that is the case?

Personally I think a lot of it is just Diamond having DC/Marvel by the balls due to their monopoly on distribution.

But given what's happened with other mediums, it seems that when it comes to physical distributors and their approach to the arrival of digital alternatives, "join em" works far better than "beat em".

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cheesesteak View Post
    I was thinking even doing it the Manga magazine way. Have 1 magazine have a variety of comic stories in it. You can have like a monthly Gotham Magazine that has 15 pages of Batman, 15 pages of 'Tec, 10 pages of BoP, 10 pages of Batgirl, etc etc. Have a monthly DC Magic magazine w/ JLD, SoS, Dial H, and DK w/ 12 pages each, interviews, previews, etc. Maybe make all the mags $8? Isn't that about how much most magazines cost?

I'm not sure how viable it'd be as a business model for american comic reading fans. But I sure as hell would be interested in it.
    I've been thinking of something very much along the same lines. There'd be room for writers like Snyder to do longer stories that would continue from issue to issue, and also for a few done in one stories, and really just more variety.

If anything, I think it's worth a try. They have magazines like this already, in support of cartoons like Young Justice. But I think for it to really take off, you'd have to not just do re-prints, it would have to be original content by top creators, and they'd really have to put some marketing behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by Whip Whirlwind View Post
    Has there been any hard evidence that links increased digital sales with decreased print sales? I know the go to argument against digital is that it would cannibalize print sales, but is there anything that indicates with reasonable evidence that that is the case?

Personally I think a lot of it is just Diamond having DC/Marvel by the balls due to their monopoly on distribution.

But given what's happened with other mediums, it seems that when it comes to physical distributors and their approach to the arrival of digital alternatives, "join em" works far better than "beat em".
    The word from DC executives when interviewed is that digital does not appear to be pulling sales from the stores to any strong degree, as both markets have grown over the last few months.
    The DC relaunch was successful and was executed in what was most likely the best way it could given restrictions we wouldn't know about. No, your idea wouldn't have worked. Now move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Not the *entire* album, though.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Beck did something where he released videos for each song on one of his albums, but I can't say if they were for sale as a package, or individually, or if they just came with the album. I don't follow very much modern music.

Have you seen what the Smashing Pumpkins are up to lately? I haven't listened to it myself, but they've been releasing their new thirty some-odd song album one song at a time every few weeks.

Although checking up on it as I type this it seems they just dropped that and went back to releasing normal albums.

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

Reminds me of Radiohead and how they would do buy at your own cost or EPs at your own cost.
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P. Sartre View Post
    Reminds me of Radiohead and how they would do buy at your own cost or EPs at your own cost.
    Yeah, it's a nice gesture from bands that can afford to do it. Nine Inch Nails did something similar, and eventually gave out one of their albums for free if I'm not mistaken.

The power of the rainbow. jade_nova's Avatar

Get comics back into bookstores and convenience stores. I don't know why they stopped selling in those stores.
    "Here's to me and here's to you. If we should ever disagree, then here's to me and to hell with you," William O. Astle 1905-2002

"Damn you, Harlot! Science and I know what we're doing," Reed Richards

http://captain-smiley.livejournal.com/-Here be Countdown summaries.

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDracul View Post
    First step, jack up page count, cut prices or both.
    Those aren't realistic suggestion at this time. Doing one or both would probably mean that publisher starting to lose a lot of money real quick, with absolutely no change in sales to show for it.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Quote Originally Posted by jade_nova View Post
    Get comics back into bookstores and convenience stores. I don't know why they stopped selling in those stores.
    Those stores pretty much kicked comics out as the profit margin on them was too small for the upkeep and shelf space demanded for them.

Another interesting read on the subject.. Evolution of the Direct Market
    D-Deadman! You killed Deadman!!