Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default When Words Collide - Dec 17, 2012

In the newest exciting installment of BEFORE THEY WERE FAMOUS, Tim looks at '"Doom Patrol" #18, examining Paul Kupperberg's gang of oddball superheroes right before Grant Morrison came in and changed everything.

Full article here.

Fraggin' Bastich

There was a "killing spree" because Morrison didn't want to use those characters, not because Kupperberg was pissed off.

Yeah, I know. That's why I wrote that he cleared the deck for Morrison.

Also, I was exaggerating, and said so. In case people missed it, which some apparently did.
    Timothy Callahan
    CBR Staff Writer

Reviews -- My CBR Reviews/Articles
    GeniusboyFiremelon -- My Blog

Ah Timothy, that was fun. I dropped off the DP when Eric Larsen came on board, but was back with this issue. Poor old Arani. It was good of Paul Kupperberg to go for the big deathy climax, rather than just move his characters to Peoria or somewhere (is Peoria real?).
    Comic bletherings by me at: http://dangermart.blogspot.com/

Kupperberg is a bloodthirsty writer. The last few issues of VIGILANTE were some of the bloodiest, darkest comics I had ever read at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyCallahan View Post
    Yeah, I know. That's why I wrote that he cleared the deck for Morrison.

Also, I was exaggerating, and said so. In case people missed it, which some apparently did.
    Paul Kupperberg himself missed it, as he posted the following on Facebook:

I love clueless internet comics columnists. Just read one who wrote about my run on the Doom Patrol in the 1980s (he didn't like it). He pounds me for going on a "killing spree" before handing the title off to Grant Morrison to write, as if I had done it out of spite...instead of at Grant's request. But then, it's easier to write what you want to believe than find out what actually happened.

Sorry, Timothy. Just letting you know. In any case, I always do enjoy your Before They Were Famous columns, and I hope you will write more of them.