Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Mild-Mannered Reporter
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    28,928

    Default REVIEW: Bloodshot, #6

    In "Bloodshot" #6 by Duane Swiercynski and Manuel Garcia, the supporting cast and dialogue shine as Bloodshot and allies infiltrate Project Rising Spirit's heavily guarded facility in order to get answers about Bloodshot's origin and past.


    Full review here.

  2. #2
    Verily VALIANT! BugsySig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    2,346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    In "Bloodshot" #6 by Duane Swiercynski and Manuel Garcia, the supporting cast and dialogue shine as Bloodshot and allies infiltrate Project Rising Spirit's heavily guarded facility in order to get answers about Bloodshot's origin and past.


    Full review here.
    Shouldn't we be getting these reviews before the book comes out (or at least the week of) in order to promote sales?
    VALIANT, Saga, Chew, Manhattan Projects, Revival, East of West, Locke & Key, Hawkeye, Young Avengers.

  3. #3
    Junior Member Hawkeyeps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BugsySig View Post
    Shouldn't we be getting these reviews before the book comes out (or at least the week of) in order to promote sales?
    I agree a little late in the offing but a fair review none the less.

    I gave it 4/5 but I think the extra star was for best use of a compound fracture in fight scene, did not see that coming!

  4. #4
    Verily VALIANT! BugsySig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    2,346

    Default

    I just see someone reading this review, going to their shop and saying, "You're sold out? ... It came out last week? ... Maybe I'll pick it up next month..."

    Hopefully they would pick up XO and Harby while they are there, though
    VALIANT, Saga, Chew, Manhattan Projects, Revival, East of West, Locke & Key, Hawkeye, Young Avengers.

  5. #5
    Junior Member Sentinel Supreme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Regina, Saskatchewan
    Posts
    497

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BugsySig View Post
    I just see someone reading this review, going to their shop and saying, "You're sold out? ... It came out last week? ... Maybe I'll pick it up next month..."

    Hopefully they would pick up XO and Harby while they are there, though
    True, but it's not CBR's job to promote the book. Their job is to review the comic adequately so that people know what they could be buying.

    I liked this issue a lot. I'd probably give it a solid 4. I agree that Pulse and Kara are hard to distinguish from each other. I also am kind of confused about Pulse's age. How old is she supposed to be? She was a little kid when she faced off against Bloodshot in the flashback a couple of issues ago, was out of commission for 2 years, and yet is a full-grown woman?

    I really enjoy Bloodshot. It's probably my second favorite Valiant book after Harbinger, but it's confusing in ways that it doesn't need to be.
    X-O Manowar. Harbinger. Bloodshot. Archer & Armstrong. Swamp Thing. Dial H. Captain Marvel. Hit-Girl. Saga. Prophet. Read my reviews of these and more at The Comic Book Couple!

  6. #6
    Verily VALIANT! BugsySig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    2,346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sentinel Supreme View Post
    True, but it's not CBR's job to promote the book. Their job is to review the comic adequately so that people know what they could be buying.

    I liked this issue a lot. I'd probably give it a solid 4. I agree that Pulse and Kara are hard to distinguish from each other. I also am kind of confused about Pulse's age. How old is she supposed to be? She was a little kid when she faced off against Bloodshot in the flashback a couple of issues ago, was out of commission for 2 years, and yet is a full-grown woman?

    I really enjoy Bloodshot. It's probably my second favorite Valiant book after Harbinger, but it's confusing in ways that it doesn't need to be.
    She was out of commision for two years, but the incident in Nevada could have preceded that by some years. I'd have to double check my issues, to be sure though.

    I know they arent promoting the books, but a review a week after the bookis published sends the message that it isnt as good or as relevant as those others that are reviewed in advance or on the day of release. That's my personal opinion on it at least, and it goes for many other books beyond VALIANT.
    VALIANT, Saga, Chew, Manhattan Projects, Revival, East of West, Locke & Key, Hawkeye, Young Avengers.

  7. #7
    Junior Member Sentinel Supreme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Regina, Saskatchewan
    Posts
    497

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BugsySig View Post
    She was out of commision for two years, but the incident in Nevada could have preceded that by some years. I'd have to double check my issues, to be sure though.

    I know they arent promoting the books, but a review a week after the bookis published sends the message that it isnt as good or as relevant as those others that are reviewed in advance or on the day of release. That's my personal opinion on it at least, and it goes for many other books beyond VALIANT.
    I guess I've always thought of CBR as being a site that mostly promoted mainstream Marvel and DC books. If they promote books from small press and indie creators, then great, but I certainly don't expect it from them. TBH Valiant is still very under the radar. iFanboy has yet to review any of their comics on their website, they get some press here and on Bleeding Cool, but they haven't yet reached a level of popularity where I'd expect that CBR or anyone go out of their way to review their books. Frankly I'm surprised by the lack of support that more established companies like Image and Dark Horse get from CBR's reviewers.

    Regarding Pulse, yeah I knew that stuff but we still haven't just gotten a basic timeline or age established for the character. Hell, we still don't officially now who the psiot was at the beginning of issue #1. It's small details like that which would go along way to clearing up unnecessary mysteries in the book so that readers can focus on the bigger picture. I'm enjoying the series, but the writing is occasionally sloppy from a storytelling point of view and that can be needlessly frustrating, especially when there are examples of very clear and effective storytelling in X-O and Harbinger.
    X-O Manowar. Harbinger. Bloodshot. Archer & Armstrong. Swamp Thing. Dial H. Captain Marvel. Hit-Girl. Saga. Prophet. Read my reviews of these and more at The Comic Book Couple!

  8. #8
    Verily VALIANT! BugsySig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    2,346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sentinel Supreme View Post
    I guess I've always thought of CBR as being a site that mostly promoted mainstream Marvel and DC books. If they promote books from small press and indie creators, then great, but I certainly don't expect it from them. TBH Valiant is still very under the radar. iFanboy has yet to review any of their comics on their website, they get some press here and on Bleeding Cool, but they haven't yet reached a level of popularity where I'd expect that CBR or anyone go out of their way to review their books. Frankly I'm surprised by the lack of support that more established companies like Image and Dark Horse get from CBR's reviewers.

    Regarding Pulse, yeah I knew that stuff but we still haven't just gotten a basic timeline or age established for the character. Hell, we still don't officially now who the psiot was at the beginning of issue #1. It's small details like that which would go along way to clearing up unnecessary mysteries in the book so that readers can focus on the bigger picture. I'm enjoying the series, but the writing is occasionally sloppy from a storytelling point of view and that can be needlessly frustrating, especially when there are examples of very clear and effective storytelling in X-O and Harbinger.
    See, here innBloodshot I think those little mysteries like the exact timeline, what happened with Pulse, why PRS wanted BS killed after they sent him to take out the Grey Goo city, etc, all add to the interest in the book.

    Where as over in XO, little things like why the time displacement occurred and how Aric learned to speak multiple languages happened aren't explained and it bothers me.

    Of course I am a big enough geek to know how time displacement works when moving at faster than light speeds, and I read the original series where Shanhara downloads all that info directly to Aric, but those aren't elements that add to the intrigue of the story by being left vague.
    VALIANT, Saga, Chew, Manhattan Projects, Revival, East of West, Locke & Key, Hawkeye, Young Avengers.

  9. #9
    Junior Member Sentinel Supreme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Regina, Saskatchewan
    Posts
    497

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BugsySig View Post
    See, here innBloodshot I think those little mysteries like the exact timeline, what happened with Pulse, why PRS wanted BS killed after they sent him to take out the Grey Goo city, etc, all add to the interest in the book.

    Where as over in XO, little things like why the time displacement occurred and how Aric learned to speak multiple languages happened aren't explained and it bothers me.

    Of course I am a big enough geek to know how time displacement works when moving at faster than light speeds, and I read the original series where Shanhara downloads all that info directly to Aric, but those aren't elements that add to the intrigue of the story by being left vague.
    Yeah that thing with X-O knowing how to speak English, and his speaking English in Italy, to an Italian fight pilot, bugs the hell out of me, but let's not bring my issues with X-O into this. Lol

    I guess I just disagree that those details regarding the Bloodshot timeline add intrigue. I see it as sloppy writing. If Swirzy wants to add mystery and intrigue, that's great. I'm all for that, if it's done well. Here, I think the minor details are getting in the way of telling the actual story. I really don't like the "All will be revealed" style of plotting, because more and more it's an excuse for writers to rely on mystery and hype rather than actually just getting to the point of what is a fairly straightforward concept (the worst offender of this style of scripting I'd say is the TV show Lost). Which isn't to say that I don't like mysteries or intrigue. These aspects can really increase my enjoyment of a story if done well. Here, not so much.

    It bothers me because I am otherwise enjoying the book. I thought the last issue was the best one yet, but I wouldn't recommend Bloodshot as a monthly series to anyone who gets easily frustrated by vague storytelling. The original VH1 Bloodshot was not the best Valiant comic, and it looks and reads very dated by today's standards, but I appreciated it's more no-nonsense and straightforward approach to the character more than what we're getting here. Just my two cents (okay, maybe 25 cents).
    X-O Manowar. Harbinger. Bloodshot. Archer & Armstrong. Swamp Thing. Dial H. Captain Marvel. Hit-Girl. Saga. Prophet. Read my reviews of these and more at The Comic Book Couple!

  10. #10
    Verily VALIANT! BugsySig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    2,346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sentinel Supreme View Post
    Yeah that thing with X-O knowing how to speak English, and his speaking English in Italy, to an Italian fight pilot, bugs the hell out of me, but let's not bring my issues with X-O into this. Lol

    I guess I just disagree that those details regarding the Bloodshot timeline add intrigue. I see it as sloppy writing. If Swirzy wants to add mystery and intrigue, that's great. I'm all for that, if it's done well. Here, I think the minor details are getting in the way of telling the actual story. I really don't like the "All will be revealed" style of plotting, because more and more it's an excuse for writers to rely on mystery and hype rather than actually just getting to the point of what is a fairly straightforward concept (the worst offender of this style of scripting I'd say is the TV show Lost). Which isn't to say that I don't like mysteries or intrigue. These aspects can really increase my enjoyment of a story if done well. Here, not so much.

    It bothers me because I am otherwise enjoying the book. I thought the last issue was the best one yet, but I wouldn't recommend Bloodshot as a monthly series to anyone who gets easily frustrated by vague storytelling. The original VH1 Bloodshot was not the best Valiant comic, and it looks and reads very dated by today's standards, but I appreciated it's more no-nonsense and straightforward approach to the character more than what we're getting here. Just my two cents (okay, maybe 25 cents).
    I understand your points. The slow reveal gets tiresome after a while. I loved LOST, but the writers got too caught up in their own mysteries and it eventually derailed the show. Early on, trying to fit all the characters and puzzle pieces together was part of the fun. Later, it became a burden.

    I don't think Bloodshot is at that point yet by any means. Considering the major plot of the first two-three arcs is him trying to figure out who he is, I think it's fine that we are on that ride with him. Remember, we still know more than he does about his past, so as he discovers things for himself, those holes will be filled. I think that's much better than us sitting there reading about BS trying to find out about his past going, "Ooh, I can't wait until he finds out he used to be a mob hit man who turned on his own crime family."
    VALIANT, Saga, Chew, Manhattan Projects, Revival, East of West, Locke & Key, Hawkeye, Young Avengers.

  11. #11
    NEW VALIANT blog is up! Manga4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,695

    Default

    So, what did you guys actually think of issue #6?

    I've only read it once but I'm about to sit down and read it again, plus I'll read it again right before I read issue #7 when it's available. As a whole, this series has been very enjoyable and currently ranks as my 3rd favorite Valiant title with Shadowman right behind it at #4. I'm sure once Shadowman reaches a few more issues It'll rocket up my list, but since it's only got 2 issues on store shelves it's hard to fully give it props. But Bloodshot, well.....Bloodshot's been superb and an excellent read!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •