Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    It's Lexrules... GET HIM. Lexrules's Avatar

Default Why not just make Bizarro, Brainiac, and Eradicator

Just wondering what everyone take is of changing these characters name.

We all know the Collector is Brainiac and I guess H'El is either Bizarro or Eradicator or even a mix of both.

My question is why not just bring in the actual characters instead of mock ups of them.

Also do you think that what DC is doing with them is the right way to go?
    Last edited by Lexrules; 12-17-2012 at 11:49 AM.

In terms of Bizarro, Lobdells hack writing skills has been nulled by editory. Said he was a different character all together, which is why theyve wiped away the backwards S from his chest.

Thank god. The whole half and half thing theyre doing is because they dont know what to do with Superman, or it was their severe lack of direction at the start of the reboot. Things seem like theyre shaping up now but who knows.

Collector should be to Brainiac what Cluemaster is to the Riddler. No reason to change the name there.

H'EL is like a more sophisticated Bizarro so I can see him as a separate character.

It's all disguising something old and pretending it's something new.
    Doomed Planet. Desperate Scientists. Last Hope. Kindly Couple.

H'els not too bad, I forgot I enjoyed his portrayal.

But I wouldent like him being the new Bizarro.

I loved Morrison's take on Brainiac, best version of the character ever in my opinion. The Collector came off as a creepy A.I. with some personality traits of a comic book fanboy in regard to his love for his collection, and thought of himself as a hero. I liked that he wasn't exactly a villain but an amoral semi-benevolent being with a questionable MO unlike the very evil, coldblooded Johns' Brainiac. I think he'll get a new body that resembles the classic Brainiac since Metal-0 infected him with emotion. But honestly, I want him to look like 80's robot Brainiac.

Originally, H'El was going to be the new 52 Bizarro but took a different role and direction. I still want to see a reintroduction of the classic Bizarro and perhaps an appearance of All Star's Zibarro.

The Eradicator hasn't appeared yet and I thought that the villains of Pérez's Superman run were going to be a new version of the character with all the eradicate MO. But, Krypton had an Eradicator organization according to Superman #0, so who knows.

Lex, I know you love the classic versions and I think they will make a return or in the case of Brainiac, some sort of merged concept that resembles more the classic character.

From what I understand, when working up the H'el storyline, the original plan was to make him the new Bizarro, but editorial said the concepts were so different the name shouldnt carry over. So H'el is a new character and we have yet to see Bizarro, which is fine with me. It wont take long for one creative team or another to work up a flawed clone storyline, and Bizarro will be back.

As for the Collector, that's Brainiac. The Collector itself used that name at least once during the arc. I suspect that the Collector as we saw it is only a part, or an aspect, of the greater Brainiac system though. But even if it isnt, Im fine with it. I like what Morrison did with the idea.

As for Eradicator, unless its shown up in Supergirl, which I dont read, DC hasnt really brought that character/concept back have they? For my money, since you asked, I'd like to see a return to the original, Kryptonian A.I. system idea. I loved how the Eradicator evolved during the Reign storyline, but after that he just floated around with no direction. And since we have no idea how the Death and Return happened, if at all, in the new history, I'd rather just see Eradicator returned to its core idea.

The Eradicator was mentioned in Superman #0, hes behind the nilhism cult that stopped anyone from doing anything to save krypton.

Quote Originally Posted by ascended View Post
    From what I understand, when working up the H'el storyline, the original plan was to make him the new Bizarro, but editorial said the concepts were so different the name shouldnt carry over. So H'el is a new character and we have yet to see Bizarro, which is fine with me.
    That's one case where editorial was right. The concepts have wondered so far off from the classic Bizarro that there's not much of a resemblance now (not to mention that the best villains are reflections of the hero, anyway, so there's room for multiple distorted copies of Superman to act as villains).

Bizarro isn't properly a villain anyway. He's either a tragic and sympathetic character or a comic relief character. He could be regeared into a villain or at least there could be a Bizarro who takes the opposite idea into being pure evil, but Bizarro #1 should be the silly character he usually is portrayed as. I loved the storyline with Htrae that was in the last Supergirl series.
    Doomed Planet. Desperate Scientists. Last Hope. Kindly Couple.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexrules View Post
    Just wondering what everyone take is of changing these characters name.

We all know the Collector is Brainiac and I guess H'El is either Bizarro or Eradicator or even a mix of both.
    I think in the case of Brainiac/Collector, the name change fits if you're going with the idea that Brainiac just collects worlds, then the Collector as a name makes more sense than Brainiac.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexrules View Post
    and I guess H'El is either Bizarro or Eradicator or even a mix of both.

My question is why not just bring in the actual characters instead of mock ups of them.
    The bigger question is why name him H'El? That is awful.

BANNED

Reminds me of when Kal had cousins named Kru-El and Ev-El.

H'el isn't Bizarro, Eradicator, or a mix of both. He was, apparently, pitched with it in mind that he'd be the new Bizarro, but they decided to make him someone new. The resemblance is still there in the design, but its apparently been dropped to actually make him that character.

Eradicator is still the Eradicator. We haven't seen him yet, but we know the character did exist at one time on Krypton as the leader of a cult.

I don't really consider the Collector having a name change either. It was more like Morrison gave him multiple names, Brainiac still being one of them.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 12-17-2012 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    H'el isn't Bizarro, Eradicator, or a mix of both. He was, apparently, pitched with it in mind that he'd be the new Bizarro, but they decided to make him someone new. The resemblance is still there in the design, but its apparently been dropped to actually make him that character.

Eradicator is still the Eradicator. We haven't seen him yet, but we know the character did exist at one time on Krypton as the leader of a cult.

I don't really consider the Collector having a name change either. It was more like Morrison gave him multiple names, Brainiac still being one of them.
    Yup. Don't really see the problem.

Disciple of En Sabah Nur Harbinger of Apocalypse's Avatar

H'el was created to be a reimagined Bizarro from the interviews but he just grew so beyond the original framework to the point that he became a completely new character. But in design, he looks like Bizarro but I think in terms of thinking he is more in line with old Eradicator in that he wants to bring back Krypton. But thats just in terms of thinking, Bizarro was the base material it seems.

EDIT: Also, whilst I tend to like Morrison's work, I must admit that the Brainiac = Collector thing I ain't too fond off. Kind of preferred the renegade Coluan from the previous verse but thats just my preference. I do like the Collector but not as Brainiac. If anything, I would prefer the Collector to be one of the Computer Tyrants of Colu that went into space and fixated on this collection business. Again, thats just my personal view.
    I am Apocalypse! Look upon the future and tremble!
    I am as far beyond Mutants as they are beyond you. I am eternal.
    Evil? I am not malevolent, I simply am!