Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The only SF magazines I have are the first first few issues of Omni magazine from 1978, It was an upscale glossy magazine published by Bob (Penthouse) Guccione . It combined fiction and science fact articles and among its contributors were Harlan Ellison (Manifest in Onyx),George R.R. Martin (Sandkings) William Gibson (Burning Chrome, Johnny Mnemonic) and Orson Scott Card (Unaccompanied Sonata)
    In the 90s there was a spinoff magazine called Omni Comics which only lasted 3 issues but included a Thunder Agents revival

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
    When I was reading them in the early 70s, Analog was clearly the leader for hard sf, and Fantasy & Science Fiction the "softer" alternative. Galaxy was still around, with a companion title, Worlds of If, from the same publisher. Another companion title, Worlds of Tomorrow, had died in the 60s. My favorites, though, were the original sf magazine, Amazing Science Fiction, and its younger companion title, Fantastic Stories. Both were edited by Ted White, and he made those two magazines fun. I'm now in an online group that he's a member of, and it's been a pleasure getting re-acquainted with him.
    I read these magazines a lot in the late 1960's and early 1970's. Amazing may have been my favorite too, closely followed by Galaxy and it's companion mags, Worlds of IF and Worlds of Tomorrow. I never acquired much of a taste for Analog or F&SF.
    Jim Zimmerman
    Co-moderator, CBR Batman Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Ish Kabbible View Post
    The only SF magazines I have are the first first few issues of Omni magazine from 1978, It was an upscale glossy magazine published by Bob (Penthouse) Guccione . It combined fiction and science fact articles and among its contributors were Harlan Ellison (Manifest in Onyx),George R.R. Martin (Sandkings) William Gibson (Burning Chrome, Johnny Mnemonic) and Orson Scott Card (Unaccompanied Sonata)
    In the 90s there was a spinoff magazine called Omni Comics which only lasted 3 issues but included a Thunder Agents revival
    I loved Omni, at least until the science fact started intruding too frequently into New Age crap and cryptozoology.

One magazine i look for, but is damn hard to find is New World's after Moorcock took over. Absolutely the front line of "New Wave" science fiction.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slam_Bradley View Post
    I loved Omni, at least until the science fact started intruding too frequently into New Age crap and cryptozoology.

One magazine i look for, but is damn hard to find is New World's after Moorcock took over. Absolutely the front line of "New Wave" science fiction.
    I was an avid Omni reader the first 2 or 3 years it was out. I remember reading a good short story called "Sandkings" in there somewhere, written by some guy named George R. R. Martin; wonder what ever happened to him.

I recently found a couple cheap issues of New Worlds - from shortly before Moorcock's reign as editor, wouldn't you know it. However, one of them contains a story by J. G. Ballard, so that's something. The only other name I recognised was Kenneth Bulmer, though I've never read anything by him.

Quote Originally Posted by berk View Post
    I was an avid Omni reader the first 2 or 3 years it was out. I remember reading a good short story called "Sandkings" in there somewhere, written by some guy named George R. R. Martin; wonder what ever happened to him.
    It won a Hugo in 1980 for Best Novella or something like that.

It was also adapted for an episode of the relaunched Outer Limits in the '90s.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by verslibre View Post
    It won a Hugo in 1980 for Best Novella or something like that.

It was also adapted for an episode of the relaunched Outer Limits in the '90s.
    I've heard of that episode but have never seen it, or much else from the Outer Limits. Also, I see that Ish Kabbible had already mentioned the story above, which I should have acknowledged.

I think it probably deserved the Hugo, as I recall finding it an excellent story. To a lesser extent, I also enjoyed Martin's vampire novel, Fevre Dream. Haven't been able to interest myself in his hugely popular fantasy series, though. Watched the first tv season and found it middling at best.

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

If memory serves, the "Sandkings" dramatization kicked off the '90s Outer Limits as a two-parter. I'm very, very fond of that series, as it happens, & managed to catch the majority of episodes on whoever was rerunning it on cable -- SciFi? -- in the late '90s & early '00s. Looks like only the first season (which I've got) has been released legitimately on DVD.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Quote Originally Posted by dan bailey View Post
    If memory serves, the "Sandkings" dramatization kicked off the '90s Outer Limits as a two-parter. I'm very, very fond of that series, as it happens, & managed to catch the majority of episodes on whoever was rerunning it on cable -- SciFi? -- in the late '90s & early '00s. Looks like only the first season (which I've got) has been released legitimately on DVD.
    So far, but for as little as twelve bucks you can get all six of the "themed" DVDs, which is pretty cool. http://www.amazon.com/Outer-Limits-F...eries+complete

Geez, that's cheap. I've already got the Sex & Science Fiction release, for ... uh ... research purposes.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Geez, that's cheap. I've already got the Sex & Science Fiction release, for ... uh ... research purposes.
    LOL. Several times a year Big Lots! gets a tremendous in-flux of bargain DVDs and I've picked up a few of these for three bucks a pop. And lots of other great stuff like Battlestar Galactica: Razor, Tales From The Darkside–The Complete Final Season, etc.

Your memory of Sandkings jives with mine. For what its worth, there were more DVD seasons of Outer Limits released in Canada.

Supposedly, though, those are trimmed versions of the original full-length broadcasts on (I think) Showtime. *sigh*

-- Reptisaurus!