Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Just finished reading my copy in digital. I actually thought this whole issue flowed better than most of Lobdell's work. The Joker's labyrinthe is much more claustrophobic and personal than the one the Court of Owls put Batman in, and having the Joker operating it like his personal amusement ride gave it a nice flair of theatricality. I was really hoping that we'd get to see more of Tim in this issue, but hey, at leats at this point he's had the same number of panel appearances he had during Night of the Owls. The story really only dragged wheneve we checked in with Arsenal and Starfire, and I'm have the feeling that there section, and most likely the sections with the Titans, are going to be mostly filler while the Joker does his thing.

Jason's inner monologue and defiance of the Joker really sell the issue, partially because it poses an intriguing implication that I hope was intentional on Joker's part. Lobdell has stated that Joker's tale in RHATO was an example of a possible unreliable narrator, so each little twist of the dagger at Jason's personal history actually has two ways to be interpreted: either Joker really was Jason's sculptor and has controlled most of his life, or Batman was lying about the Joker not knowing the family's identities. It adds an interesting twist on these two controversial ideas by making them options for the same truth.

P.S. I can't be the only one who thinks the All-caste still seems a little underdeveloped and deus-ex-machina, am I?
    “There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal."

-C.S. Lewis

BANNED

It was fine, well executed, but reminds me of why I hate all this Joker stuff. Can't wait to see him get the big beating.

This was a drastic improvement over the previous issues. I was starting to lose interest in this title, the declining artwork and uninteresting dialogue was boring me. This just seemed better structured, a much needed improvement which I like.

I enjoyed this more than Nightwing #15. Joker's relationship with Jason continues to intrigue. Pretty intense, though I hope they ratchet it up in the next issue. I was also hoping for a line about the near-fatal beating Jason gave Joker as a sign that that part of the Red Hood arc wasn't retconned out by Flashpoint, but no such luck yet.

The art is good, not Rocafort's good but is serviceable. A massive imrpve over Green's last issue however it stil suffers of lack of detail. Roy's tattos are absent for the most of the issue, in one panel the helmet's eyes are misplaced and seriously, what's the deal with the baggy pants?. Other than that, solid issue the relationship between Joker and Jason is creepy as hell and certainly much more personal that with any other member of the bat-clan.

Liked the issue for the most part. But right when I thought Starfire was coming along and maybe even faking her lack of a short term memory thing she starts asking "what is a Joker?". Seriously Kori? You've been on earth how long and even dated Nightwing and you haven't heard of The Joker?

Futurist Detective TonyStark1012's Avatar

Enjoyed the issue. Art was better this issue than last. I've been wanting to see Jason go against the joker gain for awhile and glad to finally see him in Death of a Family. Joker was really trying to do a mind job on Jason. The bullet from his father(which it probably isn't) got Jason off guard. He is getting personal real fast with Jason. Can't get more personal than going against the man that killed you. Looking forward to the next issue with Jason and Tim teaming up.
    "That's not just "one man"! That's TONY FREAKING STARK. You're intel should've warned us that he was James Bond and "Q" wrapped in the same guy!" Cobra

Fun issue and the focus was where it should be with Jason/Joker taking up the bulk of the space. Art was alright, not great but not overly bad either.
    Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Constantine, Earth-2, Suicide Squad, Phantom Stranger, Forever Evil, Rogues Rebellion, Arkham War, ARGUS, Iron Man & Unity. Trades: Saga, East of West & Lazarus.

I thought it was great and all, but I guess cause I loved the whole dynamics of all 3 of them, it felt totally misplaced that we're not seeing the 3 having any interactions.

Great issue. I especially liked how none of Joker's mind games worked on Jason. Can't wait to see the team up between Jason and Tim and between the Outlaws and the Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman4 View Post
    Liked the issue for the most part. But right when I thought Starfire was coming along and maybe even faking her lack of a short term memory thing she starts asking "what is a Joker?". Seriously Kori? You've been on earth how long and even dated Nightwing and you haven't heard of The Joker?
    I didn't get that impression from her words at all. It seems she honestly doesn't know who Joker is. While Kori has been on Earth for awhile and while she dated/hung around with Dick, she has also been living pretty much in isolation on that island most of her time on Earth and Dick may never have mentioned the Joker to her while they were together. I don't see why he would have to be honest with you since it doesn't really make for a nice conversation.
    Characters come and go, revamped and revisited. But as long as you enjoyed them, remember them and continue to appreciate them, then that character, your hero or heroine, will always exist.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    Great issue. I especially liked how none of Joker's mind games worked on Jason. Can't wait to see the team up between Jason and Tim and between the Outlaws and the Teen Titans.

I didn't get that impression from her words at all. It seems she honestly doesn't know who Joker is. While Kori has been on Earth for awhile and while she dated/hung around with Dick, she has also been living pretty much in isolation on that island most of her time on Earth and Dick may never have mentioned the Joker to her while they were together. I don't see why he would have to be honest with you since it doesn't really make for a nice conversation.
    When they had their heart to heart Jason said he told her "everything". Also when they were in space I recall Jason saying something like "I'm still mad that Batman didn't do anything after the Joker killed me....", but I'm sure he mentioned the Joker by name.

Starfire's issues apart, it was fine. If the Joker doesn't know who the Red Hood is, he is the best guesser ever.
    Last edited by Rakiduam; 12-20-2012 at 03:04 PM.

Th story was great but I didn't care for the art, it just seemed to generic to me.

Unreasonably Opinionated Conway's Avatar

If the Joker doesn't know who Jason is then how the hell did he use his step-mom to lure him to the Middle East? And if he knows who Jason is he sure as hell knows who the rest of them are.

Dark Knight Detective DarkKnghtJared's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Conway View Post
    If the Joker doesn't know who Jason is then how the hell did he use his step-mom to lure him to the Middle East? And if he knows who Jason is he sure as hell knows who the rest of them are.
    Is the mom thing still in play when they showed that in Red Hood #0? I don't remember.

But yeah, solid set-up issue. Green is no Rocafort, but still decent, and I'm interested to see the cross over with the Teen Titans.

Damn it I need to see Kori, Arsenal, and Nightwing meet up. They're in GOTHAM at the SAME TIME. FOR THE SECOND TIME