Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    As someone who has lived in a few places around the world, I'd have to say yes. Captain America is as an iconic figure as Superman, batman and Wonder Woman. I'd say Spider-Man and the Hulk are Marvel's two other most recognizable propreties (Wolverine really isn't as recognizable as most people seem to think, or wish. Who? The guy with the claws. Who? That comic book film that Hugh Jackman made. Ah!).
    Now, if he's as well seen as the others, well that's another story. Around the world, Cap is seen as a parody of Amarica's blind patriotism. A propaganda tool for American imperialism, the infiltration and domination of the world through popular culture (behind only Mickey Mouse. Most of the world loves Donald Duck much more than they do Mickey). Now, if these things make sense or not, I won't get into it, but that's how he's seen. Batman is the coolest hero in the world and the butt of many jokes (especially due to his relationship with Robin). Wonder Woman is the girl's hero. And Supes is probably the most recognizable comic book figure in the world (yes, probably ahead of Mickey Mouse).
    At least, in my experience, that's how it is.

Peace
    Interesting.

Do people in other countries like Spider Man and Hulk much(I seem to remember that there was a Japanese Spider Man TV show-he had a giant robot)?

Now I'm wondering if Scrooge McDuck is more popular than Donald.

Quote Originally Posted by Swashbuckler View Post
    No. Captain America is a pathetic joke.
    Yeah, he doesn't hold a candle to Jubilee. Back to the X-boards with thee, foul troll!
    Mah Sheet: Moon Knight, Thor, Wolfsbane, Paladin, Doc Ock, Black Bolt, Cage, Hawkeye, Sunfire, Boomerang, Hellcat, Shang-Chi, Misty Knight, Bishop, Magik, Cypher

Quote Originally Posted by Swashbuckler View Post
    No. Captain America is a patriotic joke.
    I don't agree with you but I thought I fix that ;)

back on topic, Cap isn't as iconic as Superman, Batman, or Wonder Woman, YET
    but given recent exposure I wouldn't put it pass him to become as if not more iconic than any of them by the time my grand kids have kids
    Last edited by ceroxide; 12-18-2012 at 09:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Interesting.

Do people in other countries like Spider Man and Hulk much(I seem to remember that there was a Japanese Spider Man TV show-he had a giant robot)?

Now I'm wondering if Scrooge McDuck is more popular than Donald.
    Spider-Man and Hulk do seem to be very well liked.
    And while Scrooge McDuck is quite popular, I still think Donold is more.

Peace

If you hypothesize that Captain America isn't as iconic, then you must throw Wonder Woman under the same bus; they rank near each other in "most popular superheroes" countdowns and both don't have as strong as a fanbase as before (actually, Superman lost a lot of steam as well).

Going back to legendary...I'm inclined to state that of the 4, the ones that equal and/or are inferior to Captain America in terms of not being iconic (since their inception, not in modern times) are Wonder Woman and Batman, but Wonder Woman at least represented something; Superman has been eclipsing Batman from the start and he was almost forgotten until the '70s rolled in with a noir take on the character; that was good enough to have people re-kindle interest in Batman.

This is a sample of my take on the most iconic characters:
    1. Superman (archetype for the superhero genre and one of the first)
    2. Spider-Man (after the likes of the Fantastic Four and the Hulk, this character assisted with ushering in a new era on superhero takes ; the flawed hero, the ethos of the Marvel Universe)
    To a lesser extent, 3. Wonder Woman (first superheroine and an ispiration to female readers)

There is a reason why Spider-Man is #2 and I think we all know that like Superman, he has been a hit since his debut and dominated the decade and others to come (save Captain Marvel outselling Superman in the '40s).

Superman is (or was) DC's flagship hero for a reason as he best personifies DC heroes as a whole as larger-than-life, whereas Spider-Man is Marvel's flagship and best personifies Marvel heroes as flawed.

Sure, DC's top now is Batman and Batman and Spider-Man definitely go #1 and #2 respectively in terms of popularity, but certain characters gotten their iconography much later than others and not necessarily since their debut.
    Marvel Heroes Analysis:
    Participating in the Closed Beta.

"Iconic" doesn't have anything to do with popularity. It doesn't really matter that Wonder Woman comics don't sell too well. What makes her iconic is that you can show a picture of her to some random on the street and they'll be able to tell you it's Wonder Woman.

^ Exactly. Captain America is iconic because as soon as you see that costume the name is just obvious - no-one is going to mistake him for anyone else. Kirby really hit the nail on the head with his design, and the shield in particular is just a masterpiece of iconic simplicity. All of that comes together to make a character who is easily recognised and who's core concept is easily understood, making him one of the most enduring images of Marvel, regardless of whether you've read a Captain America comic or not. And I say that as someone who has little love for the character.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyraw View Post
    "Iconic" doesn't have anything to do with popularity. It doesn't really matter that Wonder Woman comics don't sell too well. What makes her iconic is that you can show a picture of her to some random on the street and they'll be able to tell you it's Wonder Woman.
    I'm pretty sure you can do that with Captain America more so than Wonder Woman. Especially to Americans born in the 80s. I was a military kid and every friend I had who didn't even read comics could tell you who Captain America was by a photo. Then again I lived on a lot of military bases, so perhaps my childhood experience was unique. But I'm fairly certain most 20-30 year old's could absolutely identify Cap, Spidey, Hulk, Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman from a picture.
    "Cyclops is gonna fry for what he did. Can't wait!" - Cancerous

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    ^ Exactly. Captain America is iconic because as soon as you see that costume the name is just obvious - no-one is going to mistake him for anyone else. Kirby really hit the nail on the head with his design, and the shield in particular is just a masterpiece of iconic simplicity. All of that comes together to make a character who is easily recognised and who's core concept is easily understood, making him one of the most enduring images of Marvel, regardless of whether you've read a Captain America comic or not. And I say that as someone who has little love for the character.
    No one's gonna mistake him for The Shield or Uncle Sam.