Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Will Hyperion be more powerful than Thor?

As we have seen in the new Avengers comic. Thor along with the rest was taken out and tied up without much trouble. The others have been called in and Hickman himself said that Hyperion will be a serious ass-kicking character. So is it safe to assume we are looking at someone whose power will be on classic superman levels?
    www.kavalsorcery.com Sorcery to help your life.

Quote Originally Posted by KavalSorcery View Post
    As we have seen in the new Avengers comic. Thor along with the rest was taken out and tied up without much trouble. The others have been called in and Hickman himself said that Hyperion will be a serious ass-kicking character. So is it safe to assume we are looking at someone whose power will be on classic superman levels?
    Depends on what you mean by "classic Superman". I don't think we will be getting Silver-Age feats, but I do think he will be pretty damn powerful. He's basically just an amped up eternal, and the other examples of that kind of power are Kronos and Thanos -- both of whom are fairly above Thor in terms of power.

Thor has beaten various Hyperions multiple times.

While it's hard to specifically say anything about the one appearing in Hickmans book, I'm not going to assume he's above Thor just yet. I'd need some feats to support that.

Personally, what matters most is the story being told. Different iterations of Hyperion have different power levels. The evil Hyperion who killed most of the super heroes in his dimension was defeated by Blue Marvel. An iteration of Hyperion in the Defenders was defeated by the Hulk. The power level debate can get a little tiring. At the end of the day, just tell a good story.
    Organic Underground Hip Hop
    http://boombits.bandcamp.com
    Http://soundcloud.com/boombits
    @boom_bits (IG & Twitter)

That's a murky question. Hickman has said he plans to use Hyperion a lot, so even if he doesn't get to show off incredibly powerful feats constantly, he might just get more shine than someone like Thor because Hickman's trying to elevate some lesser known characters.

Thor, Hyperion, Hulk, Captain universe, smasher, Captain marvel they will all get jobbed in Avengers. Hopefully the Thor pity party threadsend soon

Yes Hyperion will be more powerful than Thor. Hickman has already stated that Hyperion was brought in to be the powerhouse. Anybody who's been reading marvel for the last year or two already know Thor isn't that powerful anymore anyhow. Thor has been demoted, that's why we are going to see Hyperion. He wanted a bad ass asskicker with some serious power. Thor is pretty much a step below characters like Thing, She-Hulk, Namor etc.

BTW IMHO Hyperion in Supreme Power was the best version of him. Anyone who hasn't read the Supreme Power MAX series should check it out, it's really good. Unfortunately it doesn't really have an ending.....JMS for ya

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue07 View Post
    Yes Hyperion will be more powerful than Thor. Hickman has already stated that Hyperion was brought in to be the powerhouse. Anybody who's been reading marvel for the last year or two already know Thor isn't that powerful anymore anyhow. Thor has been demoted, that's why we are going to see Hyperion. He wanted a bad ass asskicker with some serious power. Thor is pretty much a step below characters like Thing, She-Hulk, Namor etc.
    LOL! Gladiator > Hyperion :)

BTW IMHO Hyperion in Supreme Power was the best version of him. Anyone who hasn't read the Supreme Power MAX series should check it out, it's really good. Unfortunately it doesn't really have an ending.....JMS for ya
    I agree with this sentiment. Supreme Power was awesome. I think JMS left it because he lost interest once his direction was changed. He went from Supreme Power, which focused primarily on Hyperion to Squadron Supreme, where Hyperion was nowhere to be seen. It was moved from MAX ot Marvel Knights, so it lost it's teeth. I still think Supreme Power 1 - 18 are classics.
    Olivier Coipel - The best damned artist on the planet!

Shout out to Kev Walker! You're doing a hell of a job!

Find & follow me on Twitter & Instagram. Check out arfguy

I'd say on par with Thor or somewhat stronger. We still don't know what kind of Hyperion we'll be getting, though. Will he be seasoned or a novice to this world?

Then again, with the Avengers being seperated into different teams, how often will the two even be on the same team?

I'd rather they just used Blue Marvel rather than yet another sub-dimension Hyperion. Oh, well...

Wrooooong, wrong, wrong, wrong
    Wrong, wrong, wroooong, wrong
    You're wroooong. You're wrooooong
    Mah Sheet: Moon Knight, Thor, Wolfsbane, Paladin, Doc Ock, Black Bolt, Cage, Hawkeye, Sunfire, Boomerang, Hellcat, Shang-Chi, Misty Knight, Bishop, Magik, Cypher

Confused by custom titles

Quote Originally Posted by HaveAtThee View Post
    That's a murky question. Hickman has said he plans to use Hyperion a lot, so even if he doesn't get to show off incredibly powerful feats constantly, he might just get more shine than someone like Thor because Hickman's trying to elevate some lesser known characters.
    Yeah -- this looks to be about right -- although I think that in Hickman's thread, he chimed-in on the Thor v. Hulk "who's stronger?" debate by saying that Hyperion would be the ass-kicker on Avengers.

That said, isn't Hyperion on Thor's 'team' or branch of the Avengers based on the diagram in issue 1?

I had this funny thought that all these ultra powerful characters on Thor's branch had one obvious thing they could do that wouldn't result in a needless debate on who got jobbed, who was stronger and so forth -- they can take over the heavy lifting of reconstructing all the damaged areas from the Avengers' battles that's currently being done by Damage Control. Sort of like the Stevedore and Hard Hart Avengers... haha...

Confused by custom titles

Quote Originally Posted by Hockstatter View Post
    Wrooooong, wrong, wrong, wrong
    Wrong, wrong, wroooong, wrong
    You're wroooong. You're wrooooong
    Yup, I agree with you. Thor's always been stronger than those guys -- I guess that poster's never read the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe. Thing/Hulk/Namor (out of water) are all a level/several levels below Thor. Unless Marvel's officially recanted/revised or updated that information, it ought to be taken as canon, barring creative license approved by the editors.

Thor and Hulk are 1 and 1a on the sheer power list for terrestrial heroes. I think that a lot of the debate on Thor vs. Hulk always devolves into who wins a slugfest but if you consider the totality of Thor's god power's (i.e. the same powers that writers that Bendis/Fraction et al have basically ignored for the past 5 years so much so that's it's practically criminal), Thor's got to be the one. Whether Marvel will actually allow such a story to take place is another matter; I think they purposely keep it ambiguous to keep us comics fans coming back every month...

The only time I'd say that it wasn't that clear cut is if Thor had to fight the World Breaker Hulk. Actually, as a Thor fan, this would be an interesting fight. I say this because the Sentry fought World Breaker to a standstill and I think that role would've been Thor's if he hand't been shelved back then.

Then again, my fellow Thor fans would say "well, if Thor has to fight WorldBreaker Hulk, then the Thor who fights him needs to be the Odinpower/Power of the Runes Thor." They'd have a point too: you want the most powerful versions facing each other and the Odinpower/Power of the Runes Thor has to be it (although I think an Odinpower/Power of the Runes/Destroyer Entity Thor would be more powerful still).

Of course, it gets complex/practically meaningless when you start including the cosmic guys because there's really no point in measuring the "strength" of characters like the Celestials and Galactus. Feats of strength are hardly what those characters are about.

Finally, I have to say that Hyperion's another matter; he's different depending on the iteration. The way I've always thought of Hyperion is that he's somewhat like the different pre-New 52 Supermen from the different parallel universes -- very powerful but with plenty of variation.