Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Omnidisciplinary Nerd

Default Luffy vs. Toriko

Post timeskip Luffy vs. food Immersion Toriko.

If Luffy blitz's, then speed is equalized

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Normally, Luffy blitzes him into the ground.

With speed equalised, I would still back Luffy. Toriko is stronger harder and has a much better range game but his defence is pretty seriously lacking and Luffy absorbs blunt hits like a champion. If Toriko can land a leg knife then he's going to do some damage but I honestly don't think he's going to get the chance.

Good fight, but I give Luffy the edge.
    Nik Hasta: "I'm not a ninja dammit!"

Respect the Mamudo Children!
    Follow me on Tumblr!

Even with speed equalized Luffy COO still makes him a massively agile combat precog with a hugely unorthodox combat style, excellent range, and the ability to bypass many kinds of durability. I can't see Toriko landing a hit before he's obliterated by a elephant Gatling gun. Post time skip Luffy is a bad, bad man.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Valliant View Post
    Even with speed equalized Luffy COO still makes him a massively agile combat precog with a hugely unorthodox combat style, excellent range, and the ability to bypass many kinds of durability. I can't see Toriko landing a hit before he's obliterated by a elephant Gatling gun. Post time skip Luffy is a bad, bad man.
    Not so sure about that. Precog is a good point but Toriko is very good at filling the air with lots of projectiles. Luffy's quick but with equal speed I don't see him closing distance and getting his Third Gear up and running that easily.

I mean, when Toriko specifically doesn't try he does this level of damage:

He can just throw those out en mass and Luffy, tough as he is, does not want to get hit by those.

And when he actually tries, he's carving enormous trenches into the ground and mortally wounding enormous super monsters:

I mean, I reckon Luffy still wins but it's not an easy fight for him at all.

Follow me on Tumblr!

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Not so sure about that. Precog is a good point but Toriko is very good at filling the air with lots of projectiles. Luffy's quick but with equal speed I don't see him closing distance and getting his Third Gear up and running that easily.

I mean, when Toriko specifically doesn't try he does this level of damage:

He can just throw those out en mass and Luffy, tough as he is, does not want to get hit by those.

And when he actually tries, he's carving enormous trenches into the ground and mortally wounding enormous super monsters:

I mean, I reckon Luffy still wins but it's not an easy fight for him at all.
    Hmmm, I might have been underselling Toriko due to the absurd nature of the premise. He's might be the martial arts version of the Hamburgler, but he's got some serious offensive output. I'll defer to your expertise on this.

Hmmm, I might have been underselling Toriko due to the absurd nature of the premise. He's might be the martial arts version of the Hamburgler, but he's got some serious offensive output. I'll defer to your expertise on this.
    Toriko is in need of a respect thread. He's a friggin' beast.

I might do him one.

Well, after I've finished my Zatch Bell thread and the subsequent Kongou Banchou thread I am planning, I'll try and knock something together for him.

Follow me on Tumblr!

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

I might do him one.

Well, after I've finished my Zatch Bell thread and the subsequent Kongou Banchou thread I am planning, I'll try and knock something together for him.
    So are those chi attacks or wind pressure blasts?
    It's a lie! My pants were off the entire time!

I've got a new site for RPGs: Total Pantaloonacy

I might do him one.

Is Toriko well done? I've avoided it due to the strange concept, and a bad crossover episode that was forced on me ,but I also avoided One Piece for a long time due to not wanting to read about pirates and have since become a degenerate fanboy.

Is Toriko well done? I've avoided it due to the strange concept, and a bad crossover episode that was forced on me ,but I also avoided One Piece for a long time due to not wanting to read about pirates and have since become a degenerate fanboy.
    Toriko is really, really awesome in my opinion.

It's got as an imaginative a world as you're likely to see in a manga series. The power creep is nothing short of mindblowing; Toriko is hilariously stronger than he was at the start and he's still like... mid tier at best. The story telling is fun, the fights are awesome and can be really fun and quite stunningly visceral when they want to be. I can't think of any reason why someone would dislike it, let alone someone who likes One Piece. It's one of the things I look forward to the most in the weekly round of chapters.

I'd advise giving it the ten chapter test at least.

Follow me on Tumblr!

Is this different from Four Beast Arc Toriko?

Because if it isn't, I give Toriko the win.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    Is this different from Four Beast Arc Toriko?

Because if it isn't, I give Toriko the win.
    Food Immersion Toriko... would indicate Toriko Four Beasts onwards. Maybe without his Nail Gun punch though, it's a little vague as to whether spoilers:
    he and the other Kings got a powerup from the devouring of the Four Beast using their ultimate technique.
    end of spoilers

Four Beast Arc would be my guess.

Without speed equalisation, Toriko still loses. With it equalised... eh... it's tough. His durability is a little lacking to me.

Follow me on Tumblr!

Food Immersion Toriko... would indicate Toriko Four Beasts onwards. Maybe without his Nail Gun punch though, it's a little vague as to whether spoilers:
    he and the other Kings got a powerup from the devouring of the Four Beast using their ultimate technique.
    end of spoilers

Four Beast Arc would be my guess.

Without speed equalisation, Toriko still loses. With it equalised... eh... it's tough. His durability is a little lacking to me.
    Personally, the moment he took shots from the Four Beast I stopped having any doubts of his durability.

Sure, Four Beast horribly messed them up, but it didn't horribly kill them.

Omnidisciplinary Nerd

For frame of reference

The building cut was from toriko midway in a training arc. He gets stronger

And the lion thing next to the trench was stepping on tanks with onehundred meter barrels IIRC

btw, i'm not exactly sure toriko would lose the non speed equalized fight

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    So are those chi attacks or wind pressure blasts?
    we assumed they were air pressure attacks, but they might also be made out of his apetite. i'm honestly kinda confused on that.

BTW, food immersion toriko is from the chiyo fight onwards

Swedish Shinigami Dark Soul # 7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1505627 View Post
    btw, i'm not exactly sure toriko would lose the non speed equalized fight
    I don't see why. Ruffy's faster in base form, has precog and can activate gear 2 at a moment's notice nowadays. No way is Toriko keeping up with that.

Even in the equalised fight Ruffy can gain a significant speed edge with gear 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    Personally, the moment he took shots from the Four Beast I stopped having any doubts of his durability.

Sure, Four Beast horribly messed them up, but it didn't horribly kill them.
    Yeah, but it's nothing to really say that he can ignore Ruffy's attacks. Jet or Elephant gattling, pro-long version should be enough to take Toriko out once Ruffy gets either of those going.

Omnidisciplinary Nerd

here's my explanation of why i think toriko is fast enough to keep up

First, there's Toriko's first major Speed feat, in which he casually catches a bullet at point blank range, with no effort.

Then he eats the meteor garlic, which evolves his gourmet cells and increases his stats around the board.

In the next arc, He's blitz'd by a low ranking student in the art of food honor. He then begins training in it.

near the end of his Food honor training, An evil chef attacks the academy while he's away. This woman utterly blitz's someone who is either a master or at the least very high ranking in the academy. Literally filays him to the bone before he realises she moved. While this person has no speed feats, his rank implies that he SHOULD be faster than the student who blitz'd toriko

toriko then completes his training AND eats the bubble fruit, which increases his stats again. At this point he's shown keeping up with the lady blitzer with no dificulties.

Then in a later arc he gets yet another stat increase from the meat of the 4 beast