Question Suggest comic book series?

Hello there, new to the forums!
    Basically I've came here to ask for suggestions for comic book series to read.
    It doesn't have to be Vertigo but I have seemed to enjoy their work most in the past.
    Some comic book series I have read and enjoyed:

Y: The Last Man
    Watchmen
    Sandman
    Preacher
    The Walking Dead
    No Mans Land
    Ultimate Spiderman
    Fables

Suggestions for graphic novels would be appreciated as well, but preferably some self contained rather than part of an ongoing series.
    Not really fussy when it comes to subject matter, as long as it's well written.
    Would also prefer a series that isn't still being written and actually has an end (though this isn't essential) and aren't too long either.
    All suggestions are welcome and appreciated.
    Thanks!

Welcome to the forums!

Since you've read Sandman, I recommend Lucifer. It's based on the character from Sandman, and is written by Mike Carey. It's a fantastic series, and one that in the end I think I actually prefer to Sandman. Mike Carey also has The Unwritten (along with collaborator Peter Gross) which is a current series, it has about 5 trades released so far, and it's also excellent.

I also recommend We3 and Flex Mentallo, both are by Grant Morrison with Frank Quitely. They are both entirely self contained in one book (each is only 3 or 4 issues long), and they're both excellent. We3 is a story of animals subjected to military testing to essentially become killing machines who are slated to be decomissioned (ie, destroyed), and who escape and search for home. It's sort of like Homeward Bound, only much more violent. Flex Mentallo is sort of a celebration of superhero stories and a lot of the absurd things that make comics excellent, while I think also being part autobiographical.

I also recommend Lucifer and the Unwritten (the latter one has actually six trades out).
    CBR just did a top 10 Vertigo titles so you should check it out.
    And there's plenty of other great series that didn't make it: Peter Milligan's whole catalogue (Shade, the Changing Man, Human Target, Greek Street, Enigma and the rest), Scalped, DMZ, Northlanders, The Losers, Sandman Mystery Theatre, Joshua Dysart's Unknown Soldier, Sweet Tooth, Loveless, Young Liars, iZombie, Outlaw Nation, Madame Xanadu and countless of minis and OGNs.
    BB

Check out Daytripper also. It's just the one book that contains the 10 issues that complete the series. Basically the main character Bras dies every issue, but it's great stuff!! Other Vertigo I recommend, see the above posts, and also check out 100 Bullets, Invisibles, Joe the Barbarian. Since you liked Y, also read Ex Machina (also by BKV).

I'm currently reading my way through Hellboy and B.P.R.D. Both titles I highly recommend. It's still ongoing though...

Other graphic novels and limited series I highly recommend (non-Vertigo):
    • Jim Henson's Tale of Sand
    • I Kill Giants
    • Black Hole
    • Criminal
    • Incognito
    • Local
    • Underwater Welder
    • The Nao of Brown
    • Blacksad
    • Three Shadows
    • Rust
    • Habibi

Also get Cooke's Parker books, especially the Martini Edition. Comics don't get any better than that!
    Last edited by MartinNL; 12-16-2012 at 03:07 PM.

American Vampire
    Saga
    Hellboy

Asterios Polyp, Kingdom Come, Astro City, Morning Glories, Saga and Brian Vaughan's run on Runaways.

Non-Vertigo Garth Ennis: Punisher (especially Punisher MAX), Battlefields, The Pro, The Boys.

Non-Vertigo Alan Moore: Promethea and Top 10 for a start.

Non-Vertigo Warren Ellis: Stormwatch/The Authority, Planetary, Global Frequency, Freakangels, Nextwave.

For Vertigo, have a look at this thread:

http://forums.comicbookresources.com...es-of-All-Time

My Vertigo Top 10 from there:
    Daytripper, V for Vendetta, War Stories, We3, Preacher, Transmetropolitan, 100 Bullets, The Losers, Hellblazer, Lucifer.
    Last edited by passer-by; 12-16-2012 at 01:40 PM.

Groo the Wanderer!
    Best background graphics and hidden messages.
    If you get the single comics, the letter page was hilarious too

Though I might be biased :P

Veteran Member The Beast Of Yucca Flats's Avatar

Hitman
    Punisher MAX (Garth Ennis run)
    Concrete
    From Hell
    Top 10 (along with it's spin-offs Smax & The Fourty-Niners)
    Planetary
    DMZ