Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

For anyone who is an FF fan, I think that the Hickman run is a must read. It joins Lee/Kirby, Byrne, Simonson, and Waid in my personal pantheon of great FF runs.

i just wrapped it up last night, and was blown away.. as others have said, hickman NAILED the family, and the characters.. sure there is crazy space wars, time travel, and the normal you'd expect from the Four, but there is also an underlying personal story that just flows.

i really didn't like the early art on the issues of Fantastic Four, but towards the end i thought Dragotta killed it. i really wish he'd pencilled the whole run.

i'd LOVE LOVE LOVE for this to be an Omni, in reading order.. i'd snap it up in a heartbeat..

this may be my favorite comic book run i've read in a while.. and before this i never really liked the Four.. so that should say something.
    taunt the baron, tempt the fury

Quote Originally Posted by DCDOOM View Post
    i just wrapped it up last night, and was blown away.. as others have said, hickman NAILED the family, and the characters.. sure there is crazy space wars, time travel, and the normal you'd expect from the Four, but there is also an underlying personal story that just flows.

i really didn't like the early art on the issues of Fantastic Four, but towards the end i thought Dragotta killed it. i really wish he'd pencilled the whole run.

I have an entirely different viewpoint on the art. I couldn't stand Dragotta, Bobillo, and Tocchini, and avoided any issues they did the art chores on. My favorite artist was Epting, and I wish he penciled the entire run. Eaglesham was OK.

Latverian Tourism Bureau Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Cross Is God View Post
    I have an entirely different viewpoint on the art. I couldn't stand Dragotta, Bobillo, and Tocchini, and avoided any issues they did the art chores on. My favorite artist was Epting, and I wish he penciled the entire run. Eaglesham was OK.
    Dragotta had some good issues but I have to agree with you about Epting. Bobillo was really not very good and made some of the characters unrecognizable IMO
    "...Doom's enemies have not the mettle to challenge him host to host, tooth to nail... As economic and military options fail them, they resort to simple rudeness."

I liked Epting, Dragotta and the various FF fill-ins

Eaglesham was only okay I thought.
    The fill-in dude who did the Wakanda issues in F4 was only okay, also.

Go ahead and stop at issue 605.1, don't bother going beyond that.

Well, if you stop after Forever, you should still be sure to pick up the final issues of each book. FF #23 and F4 #611

F4 #611 is an impressive meditation on Dr. Doom that may be pertinent to the whole Marvel line down the road, while F4 #23 is a beautiful epilogue to the whole run.

Also if interested in New Avengers (which would be a very good thing to be interested in), one should pick up F4 #607 and #608.

The rest of it is filler.
    Good filler, a lot of the time, but stuff that can be skipped unless you're really invested in certain characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    That's all for now but the Omni is a lock.....just a matter of when IMO. I look forward to adding that to my bookshelf. I pretty much agree with all the posts here recommending his Fantastic Four and FF. And with any luck, the omni will have his prelude to his run on the regular title and that was his mini-series Dark Reign: Fantastic Four. It introduced the Bridge there. Also, I liked his short story about what took place between Namor and Doom after the first meeting of the Cabal.
    bummer i think i'd prefer OHC over a omni, even though i've never read anything in that format. it seems like it would just be hard to carry/read lol. might just get the tpb's though since i cant find all the hardcovers. also, can i read fantastic four without FF or are they connected?

Latverian Tourism Bureau Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoZombie View Post
    bummer i think i'd prefer OHC over a omni, even though i've never read anything in that format. it seems like it would just be hard to carry/read lol. might just get the tpb's though since i cant find all the hardcovers. also, can i read fantastic four without FF or are they connected?
    You're better off reading them both IMO because a lot of it intersects. Hickman had a big story to tell and Marvel helped it along by starting a separate title "FF" after the Torch faced off against the Annihilation Wave.
    "...Doom's enemies have not the mettle to challenge him host to host, tooth to nail... As economic and military options fail them, they resort to simple rudeness."

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Dragotta had some good issues but I have to agree with you about Epting. Bobillo was really not very good and made some of the characters unrecognizable IMO
    I decided to re-read Hickman's run on this title.........Another artist I forgot not liking the work of is Neil Edwards. The distorted faces, a lot of moments where characters are severely cross-eyed or are suffering from a wandering eye.

One of the worst examples of his art is issue 574, where Invisible Woman is speaking with Bentley/Thirty-Two. A great character moment partially ruined by Susan looking away with an extremely dopey look on her face.

Well, now the first four or five issues of his run is on a comixology sale, so I will buy those and see what I think. And later, dropping a few titles that aren't doing it for me and spending it on stuff like F4/FF is absolutely an alternative.