Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Decline of forum activity

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...t/?ref=opinion

http://www.ojr.org/ojr/people/robert/201107/1992/

Are message boards in decline? There was a thread made some time ago that asked posters why they don't post anymore. I see how this forum, CBR, is lower in activity than it has before. But it isn't just with CBR. I see this with many other forums I go to as well.

I agree with the article that stuff like Facebook, Twitter, and other stuff like that aren't what is influencing the decline of forums. I think something else is at work coupled with what goes on in the forums. I don't know if anyone will agree with an assertion I have.

Quote Originally Posted by KnockBlock View Post

I agree with the article that stuff like Facebook, Twitter, and other stuff like that aren't what is influencing the decline of forums. I think something else is at work coupled with what goes on in the forums. I don't know if anyone will agree with an assertion I have.
    Well, why don't you throw it out on the table? I thought the previous thread asking why CBR posters had been posting less in recent days, yielded a pretty good answer (preference for social media like FB).

Assimilation or Death Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mormel View Post
    Well, why don't you throw it out on the table? I thought the previous thread asking why CBR posters had been posting less in recent days, yielded a pretty good answer (preference for social media like FB).
    But aren't Facebook and Twitter in decline as well?
    That's right! Al Gore invented the internet, let's all go kick his ass!

I got your inconvenient truth right here, motherf*&¨%!

Donald M.

Too many options? 15 years ago or so chat rooms were huge, IMing, etc. Myspace to Facebook. Trends change. The only message boards I go to are this one and one on a sports site, but that's mainly because I don't hang out at comic shops as often as I used to and miss the community feel and wacky discussions about men (and women, and aliens) in tights. Not many people I know on FB to discuss them with (not a fan of friending strangers either, or people I wouldn't want to talk to on a regular basis for that matter).
    A Fool for the Foom

Nefarious Cartoonist

Hadn't posted in here for 2 years when I ran across a random mention of me on one of the subforums (replied, then thought about deleting it but not sure how... don't really care tho). I think part of it is that message boards have become more hostile- didn't think anyone liked me much for my views on creators rights, and a lot of the people I enjoyed chatting with on CBR back in the late 90's/early 00's aren't on here anymore [follow Blond on DA tho]. Just didn't feel CBR had the same atmosphere as it used to.

Maybe it'll change in the future but for a few years it felt like there was too much garbage- "fans" defending why they steal from creators, and lengthy vitriol threads on some forums that lead to stuff like Gail Simone moving her forums elsewhere. A lot of creators have moved to Twitter as well, and that was a lot of what was fun w/CBR in the past. You can get a lot of that interaction elsewhere now, and often with a bit less drama or at least letting you avoid the more unpleasant stuff. WAY less stressful. I worried dialing back my online presence would be bad for my comics work, but it's going at the same pace it always as, and freed up way more time for me to work on improving myself w/o worry about nonsense

Anyhoo, miss some CBR folks, hope they're doing well, hope they're still reading comics and having fun elsewhere or here or whatever. Stuff changes and evolves. I'm sure at some point CBR'll move to somethingelse. Also sure Facebook will die whenever the next, better social media site comes along. Stuff changes, life goes on

edit- mind you, people still seem to have fun here. And I'm glad they do. It's just no longer for me.
    Last edited by Paploo the Ewok; 12-16-2012 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    FB - perhaps, there is a slight but noticeable pushback regarding privacy concerns, and due to the nature of Facebook if you don't trust the site you're not going to keep uploading media and posting your thoughts and allowing yourself to be data mined regarding your music and food preferences.

Twitter I've never used, so I couldn't even guess.

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

I heard that decline is on the decline too.
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

Well I know I use web forums and social media a whole lot more when I'm not working.
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

Quote Originally Posted by KnockBlock View Post
    http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...t/?ref=opinion

http://www.ojr.org/ojr/people/robert/201107/1992/

Are message boards in decline? There was a thread made some time ago that asked posters why they don't post anymore. I see how this forum, CBR, is lower in activity than it has before. But it isn't just with CBR. I see this with many other forums I go to as well.

From what I noticed it is more of a hostile tone than a fiery debate similar to politics in real life. Conservative and Liberal don't debate anymore they stick to there guns and vote no matter how reasoned the debate is from the other side. So they don't bother with long thought-out factual arguments anymore its talking points and half worked out posts because why put energy into a post that is just going to be ignored or replied with a talking point. With that comes frustration with frustration comes hostility. Add in most don't bother hanging out on a board were they are a minority makes the bored lopsided one way or the other and makes the few in the minority that stay less likely to post because of fear of being dog piled on.

I really think community would be better off with a politics sub forum. Also I think this bored news more humor we used to have goofy threads all the time now just SuperE's thread and a few others. I think if a few people made some threads just for the fun of it would do wonders.
    I'm not liberal, liberals have beliefs. I'm a democrat, the only belief I have is that republicans are wrong.

Let's free the market, so it can enslave us all

Myspace

I wouldn't know... they're still kicking, compared to Facebook. Tumblr's getting a boost, compared to LJ.

Might just be the usual changing of the guard: old blood leaves, new blood finds other places.

Not sure about that one. Seems to me that people are using Facebook just as much as they always did.

Especially those under 20.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Not sure about that one. Seems to me that people are using Facebook just as much as they always did.

Especially those under 20.
    http://www.businessinsider.com/faceb...decline-2012-8

http://www.hypebot.com/hypebot/2012/...-visitors.html

Donald M.

It's only about the US though and concerning only certain kind of visitors.

Doesn't really say much.

I've noticed tonnes of pposters from Europe here.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    It's only about the US though and concerning only certain kind of visitors.

Doesn't really say much.
    The fact is that there's a proven decrease in unique visitors in Facebook, enough to make them lose a lot of money.

And in anyway it's not only in the US:

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...fic-falling-uk

http://www.allvoices.com/contributed...bsite-facebook

Donald M.