Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Starfire

I've never been particularly fond of any of Starfire's costumes including the one in the Teen Titans show myself and I'm staying out of the tired old pre-Starfire vs Nu-Starfire debate.
    Characters come and go, revamped and revisited. But as long as you enjoyed them, remember them and continue to appreciate them, then that character, your hero or heroine, will always exist.

SHOW ME YOUR THUMBS!! BohemiaDrinker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    I wasn't really comparing her to her old character, just arguing against a lot of the descriptions of the character put forth here that are flatly untrue.

I used to like New Teen Titans, but looking back, it doesn't hold up at all. Found the writing to be laughable.
    Yeah, the writing didn`t age well at all. However, I was arguing the following statement:

Yeah it baffles me when people seem to act like Lobdell invented this Starfire.
    Because really, he did.

BANNED

Fair enough, I did say that.

But I think there are degrees to how different a character is. To me it's no different than how Batman and Superman's characterizations are always reinterpreted.

SHOW ME YOUR THUMBS!! BohemiaDrinker's Avatar

Fair enough, I did say that.

But I think there are degrees to how different a character is. To me it's no different than how Batman and Superman's characterizations are always reinterpreted.
    In a lot of ways, it is. Characters like Superman and Batman, however, have those kind of changes seem less drastic because, as they`re always on the spotlight, they seem more gradual. But John Byrne`s Superman caused me a similar reaction (with the main difference that I have no problem with nu-Starfire and I HATE Byrne`s Superman). On a nu-52 example, first apearance by Billy Batson turned me off in a way that pretty much has prevented me to enjoy the Shazam back-ups, as good as I know they are.

Yeah it baffles me when people seem to act like Lobdell invented this Starfire.
    I don't get this type of comment at all. This new version is all Lobdell. I don't see how people can think just because she had casual sex in her past versions or didn't wear much she is the same. That's just missing the point entirely. Luckily editorial wised up some reeled him in.

BANNED

More like people overreacted to the first issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    I don't get this type of comment at all. This new version is all Lobdell. I don't see how people can think just because she had casual sex in her past versions or didn't wear much she is the same. That's just missing the point entirely. Luckily editorial wised up some reeled him in.
    Think about what you know of DC's current editorial and then ask yourself whether they would really change something like this because of fan backlash.

I was planning on staying out of this debate but here's my two cents and hopefully no one else says something I feel compelled to respond to.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    Think about what you know of DC's current editorial and then ask yourself whether they would really change something like this because of fan backlash.
    I don't think that they would myself given all the other fan backlashes that have occurred wherein they haven't done a thing. Some people are going to see it as editorial mandated or demanded change while others are going to see it as natural story progression and never the twain shall meet. Seems pretty standard to me. I vote for it being natural story progression. In other words it happened as it was intended to by the author and not at the behest of editorial or because of fan backlash. That is, however, my own personal opinion on the subject and not a fact that I'm trying to expound on since I cannot know for sure if it is the truth.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 12-17-2012 at 02:10 PM.
    Characters come and go, revamped and revisited. But as long as you enjoyed them, remember them and continue to appreciate them, then that character, your hero or heroine, will always exist.

DC Comics Forum Moderator The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    I don't think the changes post-#1 had anything to do with a fan backlash, but were either an editorial mandate prior to the publishing of the first issue or Lobdell decided to change direction on his own.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I shall become a bat!

I think it was all Lobdell. He has stated he doesn't plan that far ahead. Seems to me he has downplayed some of the aspects he had played up in that first issue. There's not been a complete reversal of this interpretation of her character.

Quote Originally Posted by tiptupjr94 View Post
    Not sure who this was directed at, but how is acknowledging blatant sexism repression?
    Everyone has their own taste and perspective, and their own bar for things like this.

Personally, I'd say since the sexism idea here is subjective, it isn't blatant. At least not as a fact. To me a character perhaps being promiscuous, and wearing swimwear in sexy pin-up style art is not inherently sexist. So I can see why somebody might consider being offended by this to be related to sexual repression. Not that I'd throw out that accusation myself, the topic is messy enough as is.

But it does seem that some are indeed just offended by the existence of sexuality in their comic. I still personally don't find anything offensive about the page of Starfire in the bikini that many were mad about. To me, something like that you could see in a James Bond movie in the conservative early 1960s is not offensive. Or sexist. Sexuality isn't sexist.

I know that's just one facet of the issue, and many don't like Starfire's characterization, but the constant complaints pertaining to sexuality to me do seem overblown.
    Last edited by PsychoGoatee; 12-17-2012 at 07:37 PM.
    DROKK IT!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fate's Faith View Post
    I think it was all Lobdell. He has stated he doesn't plan that far ahead. Seems to me he has downplayed some of the aspects he had played up in that first issue. There's not been a complete reversal of this interpretation of her character.
    But at the time he had The Script for issue 6 already done. When he was confronted about Starfire. In multiple interviews he said wait till issue six and you will have a better Look at how Starfire Works. He already had it in mind and Has admitted he really didn't think what was in issue one was bad or controversial. Girl Shut a guy up who was asking her uncomfortable questions by using what most appealed to him at the time.

BANNED

You guys don't seem to understand that the current Starfire is a metatexual exploration of the incorrect male view on female sexuality.

The quick summary? Bruce Wayne has had about 6 different girlfriends in the span of his books since the reboot. We don't call him a slut. Starfire has had two, and she's a slut.

Quote Originally Posted by DrSimonHurt View Post
    You guys don't seem to understand that the current Starfire is a metatexual exploration of the incorrect male view on female sexuality.

The quick summary? Bruce Wayne has had about 6 different girlfriends in the span of his books since the reboot. We don't call him a slut. Starfire has had two, and she's a slut.
    I agree that the double standard is bad, and in general there seems to be a kneejerk reaction to sexuality with female characters of late. But just for the record, that can be a discussion point without the author intending it to be meta, we can't really know the author's intent. But, metatextual exploration or not, I do agree that there's been a double standard there when there shouldn't be.

But that said, I don't read say Dark Knight, but by my count Bruce has only been with two women since the reboot right? The one in Detective and Catwoman?
    DROKK IT!!

Was starfire faithful to Dick Grayson