Default Jack Kirby and the Fourth World saga

Just wondering if there are collections of his runs on Mister Miracle, Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen, New Gods and The Forever People?
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Many were collected in inexpensive b&w trades and then there are the full color omnibus I believe.
    -M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

Quote Originally Posted by Ood Friend View Post
    Just wondering if there are collections of his runs on Mister Miracle, Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen, New Gods and The Forever People?
    Yep, there's four reasonably-priced colour reprint volumes. I have the first one, and I'm jonesin' to get the rest. The sheer creativity and energy in these books (not to mention the rate at which they were produced - three or four books a month, all written and drawn by The King!) is simply astonishing.

DC made the interesting decision to reprint the stories in the order they were originally released (i.e. you'll get Jimmy Olsen, followed by Forever People, New Gods, Mister Miracle, then back to Jimmy Olsen), which means you'll sometimes have to skip around a bit to read a two-part story in one hit, but that's minor details, considering.
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    Yep, there's four reasonably-priced colour reprint volumes. I have the first one, and I'm jonesin' to get the rest. The sheer creativity and energy in these books (not to mention the rate at which they were produced - three or four books a month, all written and drawn by The King!) is simply astonishing.
    I read this interesting article about his Superman work being redrawn do to "merchandising" or something.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kirbyolsen.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	105783

Kirby's original pencils are amazing
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

BANNED

As previously mentioned, there are currently four volumes of Jack Kirby's Fourth World available in Omnibus format. The Fourth volume was just re-released as a TPB last week. All four are priced at $20 or less, which is an insane deal considering the amount the out-of-print HC versions were going for. I'd say the time is now to pick them up!

I want to warn you about the B&W versions. They are definitely the cheapest way to read the stories but IMO it's just not the same without COLOR. The Fourth World flourishes in it.
    Last edited by B.A.L.; 12-15-2012 at 09:45 PM.

"Holy Smoke! Someone's bred a giant renegade Jimmy Olsen!"

Quite possible THE single greatest line of comicbook dialogue EVER.
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    "Holy Smoke! Someone's bred a giant renegade Jimmy Olsen!"

Quite possible THE single greatest line of comicbook dialogue EVER.
    I would have to agree with you sir! The Jimmy Olsen part of the 4th world is mind blowing amazing. Great stuff.

I'm a total virgin to the 4th World. And while I don't doubt the quality of the work, do the trades actually present a Complete story?

I hear that there is a rushed ending, is that fair.

What about Kirby's Demon, is that worth having a punt with?

Kirby didn't get a chance to finish the story, unless you count Hunger Dogs from a decade or so later.

The Demon was a fun series.
    --
    Rob Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
    Kirby didn't get a chance to finish the story, unless you count Hunger Dogs from a decade or so later.

The Demon was a fun series.
    Not really.

There was a storyline toward the end of the Captain Victory series that seemed a possible wrap up of the 4th World. Captain Victory is the grandson of the Blackmass, a sort-of Darkseid like character. But its so long since I've read CV (and Image was never able to reprint it), I'm uncertain.

Again, that the Demon is a fun series. You can get the hardback reprinting it all.

Don't let the non completion stop you from enjoying some crazy fun comics! Check it out.

The Super-Cycle is one of the coolest comic book vehicles ever.

The Fourth World was truly Kirby unleashed.