View Poll Results: Should the right to bear arms be abolished

Voters
348. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Yes

77 22.13%
  • No

134 38.51%
  • No but Stricter laws are needed

94 27.01%
  • maybe

2 0.57%
  • Some weapon types should be banned

16 4.60%
  • Certain Weapons and attachments should be banned

25 7.18%
Page 55 of 651 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965105155555 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    Their headline was that a university student was shot in a home invasion. Didn't mention he was doing the home invasion or that he threatened the tennants. No the paper interviewed his friends and family who said what a good person he was and how sad this was. Like I said, they got called out on it.
    Sick. That is just sick.

i really shouldn't bother as this thread has become a farce but
    Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    so I should allow a criminal to assault me or my family when I have the means to stop him from doing so?
    that wasn't your original scenario

Quote Originally Posted by verslibre View Post
    Sick. That is just sick.
    It was the first time I saw all the letters to the editor call them out on something like that. I guess all the media attention they wer egetting made them realize they made a big error.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-...stRecentReview

My amazon reviews, check them out sometime!

Quote Originally Posted by 7thangel View Post
    i really shouldn't bother as this thread has become a farce but

that wasn't your original scenario
    I believe it was...if an intruder is in my home, with intent to harm me or my family and take things (because that is usually why people intrude into homes) what would anyone consider an appropriate response?

call 911 and hope no harm comes to me or have the means to defend myself?
    Support your local roller derby league

It's not a binary situation. In some jurisdictions, if you can defend yourself and your family without the use of lethal force, you're legally obligated to do so. And from my point of view, that's the morally correct position as well.
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

I believe it was...if an intruder is in my home, with intent to harm me or my family and take things (because that is usually why people intrude into homes) what would anyone consider an appropriate response?

call 911 and hope no harm comes to me or have the means to defend myself?
    no it wasn't

my personal feeling is that if you are in my home and you are not supposed to be there, I should be able to warn you that I will shoot you if you do not leave immediately, and then be prepared to do so if they don't

no it wasn't
    I was under the impression that "intruder" and someone in your house that isn't supposed to be there are the same thing?

Your original scenario just involved a mystery intruder, who was not specifically looking to harm anybody.

my personal feeling is that if you are in my home and you are not supposed to be there, I should be able to warn you that I will shoot you if you do not leave immediately, and then be prepared to do so if they don't

I'm not a fan of the "stand your ground" law
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

I was under the impression that "intruder" and someone in your house that isn't supposed to be there are the same thing?
    where does it automatically mean they are there to harm you or your family? everything from burglars to drunk neighbors, to asshole kids have broken or walked into homes they thought were empty. you changed the scenario by adding they want to do you harm and are threatening you and your fam, simple as that. therefore the response you quoted is about a different scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Iangould View Post
    There are a bunch of legitimate reasons an ordinary citizen would want a gun for, none of them require a semi-auto carbine with a 30 round magzine.
    They are a lot of fun to shoot/
    Pain shared is divided, joy shared is multiplied

sorry then, I should have been more clear

I don't think anyone roamed into another persons house just to hang out

they are usually there to do bad things

Quote Originally Posted by tony ingram View Post
    You are not in the right, you seriously in the wrong. Because human life-or any life-is more important than property, to anyone with any grasp on reality.
    Bullshit! the person trying to steal doesn't consider his own ;like more important that my property and I have no reason to think that he would consider my life more important that what he can steal.
    Pain shared is divided, joy shared is multiplied

where does it automatically mean they are there to harm you or your family? everything from burglars to drunk neighbors, to asshole kids have broken or walked into homes they thought were empty.
    When I go on walks, I like to turn door knobs on the front doors of random houses to see which are unlocked. If they are, I go inside and start helping myself to the fridge. Nothing wrong with that, as long as I don't disturb the tenants. Did I mention this hobby is one I indulge between midnight and sunrise?

everything from burglars to drunk neighbors, to asshole kids have broken or walked into homes they thought were empty.
    is this a common thing where you live? genuinely curious

here in the northeast, you step into someones house without an invitation, anything that may happen to you would most likely be considered self defense

Quote Originally Posted by verslibre View Post
    When I go on walks, I like to turn door knobs on the front doors of random houses to see which are unlocked. If they are, I go inside and start helping myself to the fridge. Nothing wrong with that, as long as I don't disturb the tenants. Did I mention this hobby is one I indulge between midnight and sunrise?
    and every burglar and drunk neighbor is really there to rape and torture you.