View Poll Results: Should the right to bear arms be abolished

Voters
349. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Yes

77 22.06%
  • No

134 38.40%
  • No but Stricter laws are needed

95 27.22%
  • maybe

2 0.57%
  • Some weapon types should be banned

16 4.58%
  • Certain Weapons and attachments should be banned

25 7.16%
Page 41 of 653 FirstFirst ... 313738394041424344455191141541 ... LastLast

gun ads have fallen by the wayside much like cigarette ads have....no ads on TV (at least not that Ive seen) and print ads are very seldom
    Support your local roller derby league

Quote Originally Posted by the4thpip View Post
    Sure. I use the word "historical" all the time when I talk about last year. Remember how easy life was in the good old days before the Gangnam Style dance was everywhere?
    So what exactly do you have a problem with? That somebody assumed the ads were 20-30 years old, or that they are indeed more than forty years old?

They call me Mr. Pip! the4thpip's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    gun ads have fallen by the wayside much like cigarette ads have....no ads on TV (at least not that Ive seen) and print ads are very seldom
    I think late 70s comic books still had some in it.
    My blog.

We struggled against apartheid in South Africa, supported by people the world over, because black people were being blamed and made to suffer for something we could do nothing about; our very skins. It is the same with sexual orientation. It is a given.
    - Desmond Tutu

Getting married? Check http://www.fandgweddings.com/

Hunker down!

What happened in CT was terrible. I have a five year old girl in kindergarten. The horror and pain inflicted upon those kids, their families, and friends is nearly unimaginable to me. I don't know how I could cope if something like that were to happen to my little girl.

We have problems in our (the U.S., perhaps the world) society. There has been talk of armed guards in schools. That's sad. Regardless of your opinion, it is sad that it is even a talking point. It is an indictment of just how terrible our society is. Who wants to live in a world where we think it necessary to have armed guards patrolling the halls of elementary schools.

The problem with the gun debate is that the extremes on both sides want to treat the issue as either/or. The far left wants to completely abolish guns. The far right wants unrestricted access to all firearms. There is no room for compromise with a zealot. Neither side will give as each see the other as the aggressor. We can't allow the far left or the far right to rule this issue. And this must also be an honest discussion if any progress is to be made.

There are a few points that everyone must realize.

1. Guns are not good. I say this as a gun owner and advocate of the 2nd Amendment. I really don't like guns. I would much rather live in a world in which I didn't feel it necessary to own a gun.

2. Guns are not evil. They are just a tool. Yes, a tool made for a specific purpose, though a tool all the same.

3. Guns are never going away. There are hundreds of millions of guns in this country. Voluntary confiscation will not take guns away from the bad elements and forced confiscation would end very badly.

4. Not all guns are the same. Politicians and the media lie to us. They regularly use made up terms, such as "semi automatic assault rife" either out of complete ignorance or to rouse their base to a fevered pitch. If you want to involve yourself in the discussion then you should know the basic differences between firearms. You don't need to be an expert, though you need to be able to understand when you are being lied to.

5. No sensible 2nd Amendment advocate believes in unlimited access to firearms. There are too many here on CBR that use that as a straw man. It just isn't so. You will of course find some zealots who believe in such, though again, we can't allow those people to rule this issue. Understand the vast majority of us are for stringent background checks, limited magazine capacity, and limited to semi automatics (as opposed to full automatics).

6. Poorly conceived and crafted gun laws hurt both sides. The expired assault weapons ban that so many on here champion was anything but a ban on assault weapons. That terrible law was based more on cosmetics than functionality. So before you cite the expired assault weapons ban as a good thing or advocate bringing it back you need to educate yourself on exactly what that law did.

7. Generally speaking, those who want to ban guns aren't tyrants. They aren't out to get us. They just want a safer world and believe this is one step in that direction. Strictly speaking, they are absolutely correct.

8. Similarly, 2nd Amendment advocates aren't evil. Contrary to what many on CBR believe, we don't go out looking for trouble. We aren't itching for a chance to shoot someone. We just want to keep our family safe and believe this is one method of doing so. I am perfectly happen never taking my gun out except when I feel like target practicing. And no, owning a firearm isn't a guarantee of safety. Leave that strawman at home please.

9. Don't allow political allegiance to blind you. The 2nd Amendment isn't a Republican issue. It isn't a Democrat issue.

10. Our problems are less gun and more societal. Our society is screwed up. I'm not religious at all, so I'm not talking about taking god out of the classroom or the such, though we have very little respect for others. Look at the way we treat each other on this message board. It's pathetic. Taking away guns isn't addressing the root cause of our problems.

Quote Originally Posted by verslibre View Post
    So what exactly do you have a problem with? That somebody assumed the ads were 20-30 years old, or that they are indeed more than forty years old?
    You seemed to have a problem with the word "historical" thinking it can be used for things a year old. I was just trying to be helpful in clearing that up.
    My blog.

We struggled against apartheid in South Africa, supported by people the world over, because black people were being blamed and made to suffer for something we could do nothing about; our very skins. It is the same with sexual orientation. It is a given.
    - Desmond Tutu

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen a gun ad on TV. And yeah, the cig ads are so much ash and vapor.

You seemed to have a problem with the word "historical" thinking it can be used for things a year old. I was just trying to be helpful in clearing that up.
    LOL! You really have an issue with wordplay, don't you? I said "or 1911." You know, "in the past." What are you stomping your feet for?

LOL! You really have an issue with wordplay, don't you? I said "or 1911." You know, "in the past." What are you stomping your feet for?
    You're welcome.
    My blog.

- Desmond Tutu

You're welcome.
    Never heard the expression "it's historical," have you? It's American slang.

Cue anti-American remark in 10, 9, 8...

"Thirty years at least" = 1982. And which clothes "80s" look to you? Those ads are ancient.
    No, thirty year at least = 1982 to whatever date before that. At least meaning minimum in this context.

What's the deal with you? Do you really have to be an ass about everything people say?

The newest gun ads on this site are from the 80s - and they include one for Gotcha! paint ball guns.

Warning: This side also does not distinguish between firearms and BB guns. I guess they agree that something that looks like a gun and can be used to kill small animals is indeed more weapon than toy.
    My blog.

- Desmond Tutu

Hunker down!

The ad is wrong?
    If you mean the slide show: The German text specifically states when it's about air pellet guns, there is no wrong there. But the ads show how guns of any kind were being glorified in the US. That is all that is being stated there. Still no wrong there.
    Yes. The ad is wrong. It attempts to portray advertisements for air guns as advertisements for high powered guns/rifles. Further, using gun advertisements as so-called proof of gun glorification is ludicrous. Find something that ISN'T advertised. Condoms. Cars. Weed killer. TVs. Cereal. Products are advertised. That is how they sell.

In other words: YOUR FACE is awesome. I assume.
    That is the kind of response I expect from a 12 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by macul View Post
    There is no room for compromise with a zealot.
    Standout point, right there. Especially when it comes to this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by macul View Post
    It attempts to portray advertisements for air guns as advertisements for high powered guns/rifles.
    Please retract your lie.
    My blog.

- Desmond Tutu

Quote Originally Posted by Addams View Post
    No, thirty year at least = 1982 to whatever date before that. At least meaning minimum in this context.

What's the deal with you? Do you really have to be an ass about everything people say?
    That's right, before 1982. And I was asking you what looked '80s about ads that dated back to the '60s. Do you automatically become offended when somebody asks a question? Does everyone walk on eggshells in your nook of the planet?