View Poll Results: Should the right to bear arms be abolished

Voters
348. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Yes

77 22.13%
  • No

134 38.51%
  • No but Stricter laws are needed

94 27.01%
  • maybe

2 0.57%
  • Some weapon types should be banned

16 4.60%
  • Certain Weapons and attachments should be banned

25 7.18%
Page 25 of 651 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575125525 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Addams View Post
    That's an interesting mindset. In one side it protects people from adventurers who would want to change this document as they pleased, and as it states your basic rights it's clearly no meant to be edited each week, but in the same time it makes people dangerously impermeable to change.

Complicate situation.
    it is, even adding amendments is a process as you need a 2/3 majority in both sides of Congress plus ratification by 2/3rds of the states here in the US
    Support your local roller derby league

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    the 4 of you just wasted a page name calling each other....for f***s sake people

grow the f*** up already....stop wanting to be right and just have a goddamn conversation

I live 15 minutes from where this happened, my sister works the next town over in Brookfield, this kind of thing needs to not happen EVER
    Sorry, man. It won't happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by verslibre View Post
    The point is you guys who say people can't maim or kill without guns are off your rockers.
    No-one is saying that

Insisting that fire or knives or as one poster put it 'a gas can and a sparkler" are as effective weapons as guns is disingenuous and boarding on the irrational.
    Visit the Ace Comics & Games Digital shopfront:
    http://www.acecomics.comicretailer.com

"A gun is still more lethal." Overstating the obvious. It's not about what's more lethal, it's about what a "batshit" determined individual can do with even a household weapon within moments. What part of that don't you get? Your fixation on guns is narrowing your own PoV.
    Care to enage in a duel?

I get a 9MM semi-auto handgun with a full clip. You can have as many "household weapons" as you please.

If a certain woman had locked her weapons away properly, maybe her son wouldn't have gotten to them and used them.
    Is there any evidence the guns weren't locked away?

Quote Originally Posted by Iangould View Post
    Im not sure if that is a question that will be answered with any certainty

they were the only two people that lived in the home as she was divorced and the brother and father lived in another part of the state, I think

Quote Originally Posted by mikekerrIII View Post
    That would be true if it was the consensus of legal scholars and the courts, that Consensus was created on the left in the seventies and has little or no judicial precedent/ case law involved.

What court stated it was a communal right not an individual right?

There is so little precedent because until fifty years or so ago it was unquestioned as a individual right
    Actually Mike it underpinned the Miller decision way back in 1939.

"In the absence of any evidence tending to show that possession or use of a 'shotgun having a barrel of less than eighteen inches in length' at this time has some reasonable relationship to the preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia, we cannot say that the Second Amendment guarantees the right to keep and bear such an instrument."

No, she was a substitute teacher. Yeah, I wouldn't trust anyone who lived next door to her, either. Your "sources" must be far more reliable.
    No, she wasn't.

If her "mentally unstable" son was able to access the weapons, they were improperly stored. How hard is that to understand? Are we supposed to think the kid was an experienced safecracker?
    Her son who is now retroactively being described as "mentally unstable" was never, so far as we know, ever diagnosed with a mental illness or found to be mentally incompetent by a court.

With the usual caveats regarding the accuracy of early reports, it's being reported that she took her sons to a shooting range on a regular basis - just as the NRA advises responsible parents to do.

how the firearms industry has managed to stay anonymous and use the NRA as its whipping boy

http://gawker.com/5968807/down-with-big-gun

Quote Originally Posted by Addams View Post
    That's an interesting mindset. In one side it protects people from adventurers who would want to change this document as they pleased, and as it states your basic rights it's clearly no meant to be edited each week, but in the same time it makes people dangerously impermeable to change.

Complicate situation.
    Not really.

1. There is a process to amend the Constitution but, for good reason, its difficult.

2. The Courts have shown that they can effect large charges to the way the Constitution is applied without amending it. for example, the first amendment protection of free speech has been progressively redefined to make it more expansive.

Insisting that fire or knives or as one poster put it 'a gas can and a sparkler" are as effective weapons as guns is disingenuous and boarding on the irrational.
    Nobody said that, either. My point is that when nutjobs are deprived of one thing, they find other ways to hurt and kill, and I gave several examples hence. The responses pretty much echo "but there will be fewer deaths." Whatever.

Care to enage in a duel?

I get a 9MM semi-auto handgun with a full clip. You can have as many "household weapons" as you please.
    Again, you're glossing over the point. So did you pass a rigorous eval program? Do you keep it in a biometric and/or combination safe? I'm merely asking for the good of the people.

I elaborated on that post in another reply. It's not about the guns being locked away so much as what was used to lock them away in.

No, she wasn't.
    It was reported that she was a regular teacher, then that she was a substitute teacher who was preparing to take over the class full-time.

Her son who is now retroactively being described as "mentally unstable" was never, so far as we know, ever diagnosed with a mental illness or found to be mentally incompetent by a court.
    Only that he was "odd," then? I put "mentally unstable" in quotes because the story keeps changing. Now the word is "autistic." If that's the case, who would want their autistic child to learn to use guns?

I do have to wonder...if we require education and licensing to operate a car, why don't we require it of gun ownership?

The question is asked terribly. If you're going to title it with a binary "abolish or keep" question, having a multiple choice poll with more nuanced options doesn't work.

And only naive, elitist idiots thing *all* guns should be taken away from *all* civilians. Idiots. The nation isn't the Wild West, but it's not the imaginary bubble you live in, either.
    Last edited by Jared; 12-17-2012 at 04:43 PM.
    "Family Guy jumped the shark when i stopped getting high every time i watched it. " - Alex

I elaborated on that post in another reply. It's not about the guns being locked away so much as what was used to lock them away in.
    You didn't so much elaborate as completely guess based on extremely little and not terribly trustworthy information.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."