View Poll Results: Should the right to bear arms be abolished

Voters
345. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Yes

76 22.03%
  • No

133 38.55%
  • No but Stricter laws are needed

93 26.96%
  • maybe

2 0.58%
  • Some weapon types should be banned

16 4.64%
  • Certain Weapons and attachments should be banned

25 7.25%
Page 17 of 647 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767117517 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by thehod View Post
    It is empherically harder to kill someone with a knife than with a gun. Are you honestly going to argue this point?
    The point is you guys who say people can't maim or kill without guns are off your rockers.

Quote Originally Posted by verslibre View Post
    The point is you guys who say people can't maim or kill without guns are off your rockers.
    Has anyone said that? Even the person you quoted said if you ban guns then no shots can be fired... You do know how knives work, right? Make it harder to acquire the easier option and less incidents will happen. Hell, with 75% of your murders being gun related you'd think it'd be worth at least trying. But I guess the gun lobby is just worth too much, huh?
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
    Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Deviates View Post
    A gun is still more lethal and in a country so fixated on its gun culture limiting their supply will have an impact. 75% of the murders in the US were committed with guns. You pick the exception to the rule, Japan has had a number of high profile knife incidents but in comparison to the US's gun incidents they are still rare. Compare to almost any other country with strict gun laws and sure there are incidents of violence but there are far more in the US. Step outside your bubble for a bit, you'll see the entire Western world scratching their heads thinking you are bat$shit crazy not changing your lax gun laws.
    "A gun is still more lethal." Overstating the obvious. It's not about what's more lethal, it's about what a "batshit" determined individual can do with even a household weapon within moments. What part of that don't you get? Your fixation on guns is narrowing your own PoV.

Overstating the obvious. It's not about what's more lethal, it's about what a "batshit" determined individual can do with even a household weapon within moments. What part of that don't you get? Your fixation on guns is narrowing your own PoV.
    We don't know what a "batshit" can do indeed. Now, what we know for sure ? That without a gun is not going to do a shooting.

That's for sure. 100 %.

"A gun is still more lethal." Overstating the obvious. It's not about what's more lethal, it's about what a "batshit" determined individual can do with even a household weapon within moments. What part of that don't you get? Your fixation on guns is narrowing your own PoV.
    If it is so obvious (and apparently overstated) why are you missing the point? Take away the easiest way for them to kill and it'll make it harder for them to do it.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
    Douglas Adams

A person a household weapon is going to be able to do a whole lot less than a person with a gun. Every. Single. Time.

Has anyone said that? Even the person you quoted said if you ban guns then no shots can be fired... You do know how knives work, right? Make it harder to acquire the easier option and less incidents will happen. Hell, with 75% of your murders being gun related you'd think it'd be worth at least trying. But I guess the gun lobby is just worth too much, huh?
    Your presumption is that I'm a gun owner. I'm not. I initially brought up Mrs. Lanza's inattentiveness to proper storage of her thousands of dollars' worth of hardware. Nobody seems interested in acknowledging that maybe she's the one at fault here, God rest her soul.

Please tell me how knives work. Also, please tell me how hatchets and machetes work. I'm all ears. Have you ever heard of anyone being called by this invention killed an arrow?
    Last edited by verslibre; 12-17-2012 at 10:58 AM.

Following the Dunblane massacre, Britain made it practically illegal to own handguns. Granted, it didn't impact as many people as it would in the UK but that doesn't mean it isn't a reasonable thing to do. The supply of guns is too high in the US, that much is clear. A ban maybe too quick but certainly much stronger restrictions are needed.

In 2000, 75% of gun related murders (gun deaths accounting for 70% of all murders in the year) in the US were committed with illegally obtained weapons - these include those murders committed with a family member's gun. Outlaw weapons, restrict the supply and the illegal weapons become harder to get hold of and also easier to spot. I can't think of one justifiable reason to not change gun laws in the US if it means removing the risk to people's lives and the potential for more tragedies. The world looks in on America's lax gun policy and thinks the country is bat$hit crazy, and they have a point. Dribbling on about the Second Amendment like the Constitution is an infallible text is ridiculous, especially when said clause existed out of necessity because of the particular situation the US found itself in 200+ years ago.
    the second amendment is a simple fact,that can't be ignored by congress. It can be changed but until it is changers it trumps anything the legislature or executive can do
    Pain shared is divided, joy shared is multiplied

Quote Originally Posted by bringthenoise View Post
    A person a household weapon is going to be able to do a whole lot less than a person with a gun. Every. Single. Time.
    Yeah, yeah, yeah. Everyone keeps saying that. You can all believe human-to-human violence is going to evaporate with the absence of guns. A plainclothes officer walking the grounds at a school to make sure everything's okay...what a preposterous notion.

Your presumption is that I'm a gun owner. I'm not.
    No one has suggested that you are.

You can all believe human-to-human violence is going to evaporate with the absence of guns. A plainclothes officer walking the grounds at a school to make sure everything's okay...what a preposterous notion.
    No one is saying that, either.
    Google is your friend. Have a question? Look it up. ∙ BlogSequential Salon

Quote Originally Posted by Castel View Post
    I'm pretty sure it does. At least where i live.

Son of a cop here. I know my stuff.
    What state requires bullet registration outside of Maryland ( if the law passed there)
    Pain shared is divided, joy shared is multiplied

Your presumption is that I'm a gun owner. I'm not. I initially brought up Mrs. Lanza's inattentiveness to proper storage of her thousands of dollars' worth of hardware. Nobody seems interested in acknowledging that maybe she's the one at fault here, God rest her soul.

Please tell me how knives work. Also, please tell me how hatchets and machetes work. I'm all ears. Have you ever heard of anyone being called by this invention called an arrow?
    At no point did I say you were a gun owner. Please show me where that is implied. At most I implied you from the US.

Seriously, with the knives still? How can you not see the difference between them and guns? Also, arrows?! Really?!
    Douglas Adams

Please tell me how knives work. Also, please tell me how hatchets and machetes work. I'm all ears. Have you ever heard of anyone being called by this invention called an arrow?
    Guns make it easier to kill people - and in larger numbers - than anything else you mention. Banning guns will not stop all murders, but it WILL reduce them and make it a lot harder for incidents like this to happen. Saying otherwise is denying reality.

Quote Originally Posted by mikekerrIII View Post
    the second amendment is a simple fact,that can't be ignored by congress. It can be changed but until it is changers it trumps anything the legislature or executive can do
    Oh, I know that. But the strict nature of the amendment process shouldn't be an excuse for maintaining an outdated 'right' which endangers people, rather than carrying out its initial intention and protecting people.
    Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by bringthenoise View Post
    Has it been established that they WEREN'T properly secured? Locks are hardly impenetrable.
    Let's look at we know. Her neighbor said she kept her weapons in a "cabinet" and didn't know if she always kept it locked. "Cabinet" suggests a chamber accessible with a keyed padlock, not a biometric gun safe or keyed combination vault. I'd assume somebody willing to spend thousands of dollars on various pistols and rifles, who's also alleged to be a doomsday prepper, would invent in something inaccessible by an experienced criminal or, God forbid, a member of the family. Mrs. Lanza was likely shot in her sleep, they say. If there was only a keyhole padlock on that "cabinet," then no wonder he was able to open it. He probably found the key, and a domestic holocaust occurred shortly thereafter. It's clear that Adam "wasn't all there," yet she introduced him to gun culture because that was her way of bonding with him.