View Poll Results: Should the right to bear arms be abolished

Voters
349. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Yes

77 22.06%
  • No

134 38.40%
  • No but Stricter laws are needed

95 27.22%
  • maybe

2 0.57%
  • Some weapon types should be banned

16 4.58%
  • Certain Weapons and attachments should be banned

25 7.16%
Page 14 of 654 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114514 ... LastLast

Indeed. The founding fathers would be horrified to see all the problems this article of the constitution has brought i'm sure.

And even more mortified to see that a gun lobby can turn most politician into servile bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by bringthenoise View Post
    But only one of those things is designed to kill. America - and every other society out there - has decided for a long time now that it should strongly regulate access to weapons by the general public. I don't think you'll be calling for the general sale of land mines or RPGs any time soon. So, why are guns OK?

Do bear in mind that "Because the Foundings Fathers/Consitution!" is the logical fallacy of Appeal to Tradition. There's a reason the Constitution can be amended.
    It can be amended but it won't the numbers need would be 2/3 of congress and the states right now you got 50% at best. If you got 2/3 without changing the U.S culture they would be thousands of deaths and as thousands of gun lovers make their stand believing that the U.S.A has become a dictatorship. You would need a small army for each home to take them down without any casualties. It wouldn't be a civil war but it would be a bloody mess.

As for the automobile comparison we thought we had the terrorist limited on 9/11 and they though outside of the box and used airplanes. Just like terrorists killers can be cold and calculating when they plan. I only thought about this about 20 minutes and I can see how taking a car and crashing it full speed into a school bus could kill just as many kids. Now I am terrified for my daughter on the school bus. I am terrified over what someone sick in the head could come up with with days or weeks to plan. In society we have to many dangerous things that can be used to kill massive amounts of people. We take care of one that they figure out how to use another.

I really think need we need to focus on the why not the how here. Why are people going homicidally nuts more and more often? What is the trigger? How do we stop people from getting so crazy so sick that they want to kill kids?
    I'm not liberal, liberals have beliefs. I'm a democrat, the only belief I have is that republicans are wrong.

Let's free the market, so it can enslave us all

Myspace

I am terrified for my daughter on the school bus
    I would be too if i was living in a country with guns everywhere. Thanks god i don't. And i can let my my son every morning at the school knowing that the crazies we have here, cause we have some too, can't buy a freaking machine gun at the local store.

Keep eluding the problem my dear Americans friends. Keep telling yourself that it's more sane to put weapons in elementary schools than to regulate more tightly the access to guns.

After all, i don't live there, you do.

Quote Originally Posted by o1pickleboy View Post
    We take care of one that they figure out how to use another.
    A repeated hypothesis, which as far as I can tell, has never come to pass in societies that have banned guns. Some people will still try to commit murder but they simply don't do on this kind of scale (unless they can somehow acquire illegal weapons, which does not become as easy as the NRA would like you to think).

ETA: And I do know that the chances of removing the 2nd Amendment are nil in reality, but that's not an argument in favour of guns, any more than the political impossibility of an out-right tobacco ban is a pro-smoking argument.
    Last edited by bringthenoise; 12-17-2012 at 03:01 AM.

unless they can somehow acquire illegal weapons, which does not become as easy as the NRA would like you to think
    Yeah, listening to some here you would think that you can find canons to sell every corner. It's of course not the case and you better have some interesting connections to get your hands on military weapons.

Sure you can find some crappy gun if you know the right people but don't think you're going to buy an AUG that easily on the parallel market.

And you better know what you're doing when dealing with this kind of people.
    Last edited by Addams; 12-17-2012 at 03:21 AM.

A repeated hypothesis, which as far as I can tell, has never come to pass in societies that have banned guns. Some people will still try to commit murder but they simply don't do on this kind of scale (unless they can somehow acquire illegal weapons, which does not become as easy as the NRA would like you to think).

ETA: And I do know that the chances of removing the 2nd Amendment are nil in reality, but that's not an argument in favour of guns, any more than the political impossibility of an out-right tobacco ban is a pro-smoking argument.
    a roomful of kid would still lose to a madman with a knife.

With that statement aside I actually support tougher gun laws if they are throughout work to prevent what happened in Newstown, but I don't want that to be the end of the debate and the only solution. My bus situation is still a real scenario that could happen, same as the knife as is countless others that only a sick mind could think of. I don't want to us go though some massive gun control debate and not look at mental health, emergency plans and any and everything that could have help prevent this tragedy.
    I'm not liberal, liberals have beliefs. I'm a democrat, the only belief I have is that republicans are wrong.

Let's free the market, so it can enslave us all

Myspace

A repeated hypothesis, which as far as I can tell, has never come to pass in societies that have banned guns.
    Of course. That "they would find an another weapon" little theory is simply not true.

That's the very fact to own a gun who turns a morbid, insane fantasy into a real possibility in a mad person's mind. If they didn't have a gun in the first place maybe they wouldn't have gone that far.
    Last edited by Omega Supreme; 12-17-2012 at 03:48 AM.

BUY LOKI: AGENT OF ASGARD Kieran_Frost's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Of course. That "they would find an another weapon" little theory is simply not true. .
    I'm going to have to quote the AMAZING Dr. Kerry Weaver from ER for this one: "You can't commit mass murder with a Chinese throwing star".
    "I don't know how to please you Lord, but I think the fact I try to please you, pleases you."

a roomful of kid would still lose to a madman with a knife.
    A theory tested this week in China, actually. At least 20 kids were attacked - no one died: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-20723910

I don't want to us go though some massive gun control debate and not look at mental health, emergency plans and any and everything that could have help prevent this tragedy.
    If anyone thinks that gun reform should be the only thing discussed just now, they're not on CBR.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    If they didn't have a gun in the first place maybe they wouldn't have gone that far.
    If a certain woman had locked her weapons away properly, maybe her son wouldn't have gotten to them and used them.

Quote Originally Posted by verslibre View Post
    If a certain woman had locked her weapons away properly, maybe her son wouldn't have gotten to them and used them.
    No guns, nothing to lock, nothing to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Castel View Post
    and this is not a reasonable option here in the US...unless you want to spend the next 5 years marching into every state and confiscating every weapon out there and causing extreme civil unrest
    Support your local roller derby league

Quote Originally Posted by Castel View Post
    It's called accountability. She was very lax in the storage of her hardware. To say "but if she hadn't" over and over and over is to gloss over her neglect.

this is not a reasonable option here in the US...unless you want to spend the next 5 years marching into every state and confiscating every weapon out there and causing extreme civil unrest
    Personally i have nothing against the fact that people own certain kind of weapons at home.

Where i live there is a lot of people who hunt for example and everybody has a couple of hunting guns. No military weapons, no M2 or other crazy armaments that civilian should never possessed.

Just guns for hunting birds, deers and wild boars. Each guns they own is properly registered and each of these dudes passed a hunting "license" during which competent people taught them what the law says they can and can't do, how to properly and safely used a gun and kinda checked if they weren't the kind of people who could end up in the top of the local postal agency, shooting at will.

The whole problem is control. Weapons aren't made for everybody and shouldn't be owned by everybody. A strict surveillance over guns and people who own them is very important.

That's just common sens.
    Last edited by Castel; 12-17-2012 at 06:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by verslibre View Post
    Has it been established that they WEREN'T properly secured? Locks are hardly impenetrable.