Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Birthright

Quote Originally Posted by Daybreak_st View Post
    Oh I get that. I never meant to say he was literally rebooted after new krypton but that the natural follow up to that story was ignored in favor of Grounded. A story about him trying to reconnect with America which felt very forced instead of the natural character growth after seeing your whole civilization destroyed for a second time.
    It was a poorly executed story, which is what muddied the arc's connection to New Krypton. In general, however, Superman was written like a solider with PTSD, so it worked on that level. It seemed clear he was doing this walk to avoid his feelings and because he was lost.

I read it one sitting last night and I think it bumps Secret Origin on my list of Superman Origins. I am suprised how mucn Yu reminds me of Roccafort, maybe its the roughness to the line work.

I found the very last scene between Supes and the El family devastating! A real new take on the end of Krypton. SO glad I read it!

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote2010 View Post
    I found the very last scene between Supes and the El family devastating! A real new take on the end of Krypton. SO glad I read it!
    Yeah, that is the best part of the book, imo, and makes everything else worth it. That last bit is like a punch in the stomach every time I read the book and I almost get a little choked up, even after having read it a dozen times.

I bought all of Birthright when it was on sale on Comixology, and yeah, it was great. I had only read a few issues, when it first came out, so it was nice to finally read the whole thing.

I also really loved that last scene. It's one thing for Jor-El and Lara to know (or hope) that Kal is safe, but to be able to see him, and he see them, right before, wow.
    DC: Action Comics - Detective Comics - Batman and... - Batman - Justice League
    Marvel: All-New X-Factor

Quote Originally Posted by stk View Post
    Yeah, that is the best part of the book, imo, and makes everything else worth it. That last bit is like a punch in the stomach every time I read the book and I almost get a little choked up, even after having read it a dozen times.

I feel like it resolved a part of Jor-El's story that I never realized needed resolution. The moment for me was so much bigger than just the end of Birthright. Who knew that I needed Jor El to have a happy ending to his saga?

On it's own that story is crisp and really engaging, but the ending adds a huge chunk to the entire Superman myth that I didn't know was missing. Sentimental and reverential without being sappy!

I found this as powerful, if not more so, than Thomas Wayne and Batman at the end of Flashpoint.

(The Return of Jonathan Kent from way back was a tear jerker for me as well, but I think they were drafting off Henry Fonda's image from On Golden Pond... )
    Last edited by Coyote2010; 01-03-2013 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote2010 View Post
    I feel like it resolved a part of Jor-El's story that I never realized needed resolution. The moment for me was so much bigger than just the end of Birthright. Who knew that I needed Jor El to have a happy ending to his saga?

On it's own that story is crisp and really engaging, but the ending adds a huge chunk to the entire Superman myth that I didn't know was missing. Sentimental and reverential without being sappy!

I found this as powerful, if not more so, than Thomas Wayne and Batman at the end of Flashpoint.

(The Return of Jonathan Kent from way back was a tear jerker for me as well, but I think they were drafting off Henry Fonda's image from On Golden Pond... )
    The ending of Birthright was just as beautiful as the beginning. It's too bad Waid didn't give Jonathan as reverent a portrayal as he did Jor-El; Maggin did.
    Doomed Planet. Desperate Scientists. Last Hope. Kindly Couple.

Quote Originally Posted by stk View Post
    Yeah, that is the best part of the book, imo
    I don't know: it's hard to beat the visual of Supes protecting the kid with the giant S shield.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...