Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

I don't know, he was getting back on track after his resurrection I thought. He was still in Clark-lite mode, but at least he wasn't emo and he got over the Lex thing. Either way though that's one of the positives I take from Superboy now. Regardless if the title has disappointed after its initially strong beginning, there's at least determination there to be his own person, so that lock-step emulation of Clark is gone. And frankly in this new continuity it can't come back either, as with Jonathan and Martha gone there's no ties that bind from Clark's childhood left for Kon to latch onto even if they wanted to do it. So in a way Superman's new origin forces the idea that he can't live a life like Clark did.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 12-17-2012 at 04:23 AM.

Tactile Telekinesis stephens2177's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I don't know, he was getting back on track after his resurrection I thought. He was still in Clark-lite mode, but at least he wasn't emo and he got over the Lex thing. Either way though that's one of the positives I take from Superboy now. Regardless if the title has disappointed after its initially strong beginning, there's at least determination there to be his own person, so that lock-step emulation of Clark is gone. And frankly in this new continuity it can't come back either, as with Jonathan and Martha gone there's no ties that bind from Clark's childhood left for Kon to latch onto even if they wanted to do it. So in a way Superman's new origin forces the idea that he can't live a life like Clark did.
    Hallejuah,i can only hope this is true.

Having SB totally reliant on supermans origin,history,storyline is why we have so much trouble between the three versions,he had to change to fit the new NEW.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    I get that, but it's a very cliche direction and it was executed in the most predictable way possible. He was basically the Hulk, except human-looking. While they "progressed" him from there, Invasion has been almost entirely devoid of character development, so I just can't care for this character period.
    I can't agree with that cuz one of my examples was from Invasion and then we got the progression of his relationship with others such as Superman and MM. But yeah I think as far as Invasion goes it's only been set up for things regarding.

Its a lot easier for the YJ show to show growth of a character,it has 4 half hour shows a month,thats 2 hours of time,and i dont knowabout you guys but a comic once a month with fewer pages doesnt come close in time,and tv gives you 3 dimensional view of the character,comics cant touch that.

Quote Originally Posted by stephens2177 View Post
    Its a lot easier for the YJ show to show growth of a character,it has 4 half hour shows a month,thats 2 hours of time,and i dont knowabout you guys but a comic once a month with fewer pages doesnt come close in time,and tv gives you 3 dimensional view of the character,comics cant touch that.

Yeah but it's in a show where he's not the main character but only one of 6 (has grown in season 2). In comics Superboy has a whole book to himself, guest spots in TT, Ravengers, Superman, and likely Supergirl....and your telling me he's not at least getting a chance to have character growth that would surpass YJ? Nah. Also it's way easier to fit more story into a comic than a TV show because you can play with time, pacing and spacing of panel layouts in ways TV can't even dream of because it would make a show unwatchable. Just look at Grant Morrison who can fit more story and development into one issue than most TV shows can in like 10 episodes.

YJ Superboy's only real upper hand in this situation is much better writing and better choices by the writers.

YJ all day!!

Its a lot easier for the YJ show to show growth of a character,it has 4 half hour shows a month,thats 2 hours of time,and i dont knowabout you guys but a comic once a month with fewer pages doesnt come close in time
    What are you talking about? That doesn't make it easier. That makes it HARDER. The tv show has had a stronger sense of characterization for Superboy since day one, and the first season topped off at 26 episodes. That is nothing compared to the amount of comic material he's had.

,and tv gives you 3 dimensional view of the character,comics cant touch that.
    I don't even know what this means. The tv show isn't 3D. It's drawn animation. It's no less drawn than the comics.

The tv show has just been better written. Just like most of the WB cartoons have been. It's no more complicated than that. There's more money in television, so that's where the better writers are, I guess.

Tv gives you more simllistic versions of characters,which makes it easier to relate to.
    Tv has movement and sound,you can get character developmemt in a single moment on the show .
    Im not saying the book has done a great job,cause its been rough going from the start,but its easier on tv shows.
    i dont disagree that the YJ show has done a great job with SB,and right from the start,i do think YJ SB is a great version of kon,and would be perfect with TTK,its a simpleand smart,and clear way of doing SBs origin and story.

Tv gives you more simllistic versions of characters,which makes it easier to relate to.
    Tv has movement and sound,you can get character developmemt in a single moment on the show .
    Im not saying the book has done a great job,cause its been rough going from the start,but its easier on tv shows.
    i dont disagree that the YJ show has done a great job with SB,and right from the start,i do think YJ SB is a great version of kon,and would be perfect with TTK,its a simpleand smart,and clear way of doing SBs origin and story.
    So, if the comic book stories just went with a more "simplistic" version of the character and didn't include all the crap with NOWHERE, the countless crossovers, etc., maybe the Superboy comic book would be doing better?

Sounds like the book should be just cancelled so somebody else can start over from scratch. Lobdell screwed things up, and DeFalco is using his minimal "talent" and is just making it worse. The New 52 Superclone looks like it's beyond repair.
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    So, if the comic book stories just went with a more "simplistic" version of the character and didn't include all the crap with NOWHERE, the countless crossovers, etc., maybe the Superboy comic book would be doing better?

Sounds like the book should be just cancelled so somebody else can start over from scratch. Lobdell screwed things up, and DeFalco is using his minimal "talent" and is just making it worse. The New 52 Superclone looks like it's beyond repair.
    Are you always this depressing? Jeez hoy thinking nothing but doom and gloom is not good or.productive.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I can't agree with that cuz one of my examples was from Invasion and then we got the progression of his relationship with others such as Superman and MM. But yeah I think as far as Invasion goes it's only been set up for things regarding.
    We're told things about the state of their relationship, but by the writers' own admission, Invasion is 100% plot-driven.

why is ppl not talking more about superman#15? Kon meets lex,thats awesome ppl,i cant wait to sit back and watch these two,its gonna be great.

We're told things about the state of their relationship, but by the writers' own admission, Invasion is 100% plot-driven.
    And I didn't say it wasn't plot-driven, but it's still a good set up for his relationships. Things like his new found moral compass due to Superman have really rounded him out; examples of this would be his dislike of MM's use of her powers and how he knew his big brother (Superman) well enough to know that he would be angry at himself for not saving the aliens from the bomb (ep escapes me atm).

But anyways all I was trying to say was that I think YJ would be a very go template to look back on when doing this Superboy.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    And I didn't say it wasn't plot-driven, but it's still a good set up for his relationships. Things like his new found moral compass due to Superman have really rounded him out; examples of this would be his dislike of MM's use of her powers and how he knew his big brother (Superman) well enough to know that he would be angry at himself for not saving the aliens from the bomb (ep escapes me atm).
    I don't have a problem with the time skip myself, but the problem with it is that all this so called development is completely glossed over.

But anyways all I was trying to say was that I think YJ would be a very go template to look back on when doing this Superboy.
    Yeah let's just say I hope that never happens.

I don't have a problem with the time skip myself, but the problem with it is that all this so called development is completely glossed over.
    If that's how you see it, that's cool.

Yeah let's just say I hope that never happens.
    Nothin' wrong with thinkin' that.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I've pretty much hated the character since Johns took over Teen Titans. I miss the youthful fun-loving Superboy. My take would be something of a punk rock Peter Pan. A kid who has all the powers and looks of Superman but none of the heroic merit. I would scrape the Luthor clone angle. I wouldn't focus too much on his anger at being a clone. There would be no "Conner Kent". Cadmus would play a big part again. He'd have adventures and get himself into a lot of trouble.
    A back to basics approach, I like it.

Also, people are really putting too much stock in the parentage of Superboy. He's a lab-grown Superman. Start there and build.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.