Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Really enjoyed this issue. I think Supergirl is definitely getting the most out of this crossover.
    Be a fan of the creators, not the characters.

I kinda think it speaks to the character of who she is deep down that she kissed H'el, personally. Again putting aside his likely betrayal, she saw past his physical appearance to what he has up to now been displaying as a pretty decent nature (outside his offering up of killing Superboy so nonchalantly, however knowing the scorn clones are looked on in Kryptonian society, this probably wasn't as disturbing to her as it was to us).

Very good issue, I am loving this crossover so far!
    Last edited by Charlus; 12-24-2012 at 10:41 AM.

Re Member

H'El entered Kara's home without asking (doesn't respect personal boundaries), choked her to unconsciousness while disguised as Kal-El to convince her Kal was against her (physical abuse), used emotional manipulation to get her to do what he wanted while adopting a sad-eyed "poor me I'm just misunderstood" guise (emotional abuse), has "villain entitlement" (the "don't turn away when I'm talking to you" bit in Superman), wants to "just borrow a little money" (taking the Kandor power source), and convinced Kara to be the one to do it (manipulates others via pity and appeals to their hot buttons). And in every case he managed to either hide what he was really doing or convince Kara that it was what she wanted.

He's almost a stereotype of the sociopath bad boyfriend. I think I undrstand why I had such a visceral reaction to the book now.
    Last edited by Iopy; 12-24-2012 at 10:36 AM. Reason: punctuation

I don't think hitting Kara counts as psychical abuse if they're not even in a relationship and the story is centered around super villians and superheroes who are always fighting it out. If he were to hit her now, there would definitely be a different issue, but he didn't do that. The rest however really make this relationship just a godawful idea for Kara.

This issue was iffy for me. I'm having my hopes up that they fix this screw up of turning Kara into such an idiot, lovesick teenager. I would love her to realize her mistake before it gets bad and the entire Superman fanbase blames her and brands her as the biggest idiot on the planet.

So what's up with H'EL's backwards "S" symbol. Sometimes he has it, sometimes he doesn't, it seems to change issue to issue, panel to panel. Just artist screw ups or something story related?.

Quote Originally Posted by Iopy View Post
    H'El entered Kara's home without asking (doesn't respect personal boundaries), choked her to unconsciousness while disguised as Kal-El to convince her Kal was against her (physical abuse), used emotional manipulation to get her to do what he wanted while adopting a sad-eyed "poor me I'm just misunderstood" guise (emotional abuse), has "villain entitlement" (the "don't turn away when I'm talking to you" bit in Superman), wants to "just borrow a little money" (taking the Kandor power source), and convinced Kara to be the one to do it (manipulates others via pity and appeals to their hot buttons). And in every case he managed to either hide what he was really doing or convince Kara that it was what she wanted.

He's almost a stereotype of the sociopath bad boyfriend. I think I undrstand why I had such a visceral reaction to the book now.
    Isn't that what makes him a great villain for her particularly? I don't think anyone expects the Special Kryptonian Wedding issue.

Re Member

Quote Originally Posted by AlfredIslas View Post
    I don't think hitting Kara counts as psychical abuse if they're not even in a relationship and the story is centered around super villians and superheroes who are always fighting it out. If he were to hit her now, there would definitely be a different issue, but he didn't do that. The rest however really make this relationship just a godawful idea for Kara.
    Many abusive relationships start with physical abuse that you don't even recognize. But you're probably right on that one for this story.

Quote Originally Posted by AlfredIslas View Post
    This issue was iffy for me. I'm having my hopes up that they fix this screw up of turning Kara into such an idiot, lovesick teenager. I would love her to realize her mistake before it gets bad and the entire Superman fanbase blames her and brands her as the biggest idiot on the planet.
    Yes, I'm hoping that's the case too. Supergirl has been one of the more interesting of the Super books, I'd hate to see that flushed away just to support a crossover "event."

Re Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fused View Post
    Isn't that what makes him a great villain for her particularly? I don't think anyone expects the Special Kryptonian Wedding issue.
    It's what makes it cliche. Matrix Supergirl jumps into bed with Lex Luthor and needs Kal-El to "straighten her out", DCU Kara Zor-El is Darkseid's evil puppet and needs Kal-El to "straighten her out", DCU Kara Zor-El gets into an abusive relationship with Powerboy (at least she figured that one out on her own after he showed her that he was an obsessive stalker). I was hoping they'd do something a bit different this time. "Supergirl as easily manipulated pawn" is getting old.

Quote Originally Posted by Iopy View Post
    It's what makes it cliche. Matrix Supergirl jumps into bed with Lex Luthor and needs Kal-El to "straighten her out",
    To be fair: she straightened herself out after she learned Lex was planning to clone her. After that, she needed Kal-el to "stop her from killing the guy".
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    To be fair: she straightened herself out after she learned Lex was planning to clone her. After that, she needed Kal-el to "stop her from killing the guy".
    People tend to forget that Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned, Or as Shampoo would say: "Man who play with woman's heart go very bad place!,"

Re Member

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    True, but being ready to kill someone after finding out they were lying to you isn't straightening yourself out, finding a way to not commit homicide would be. I suspect that's the familiar road this story will take too.

Re Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lokimaru View Post
    People tend to forget that Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned, Or as Shampoo would say: "Man who play with woman's heart go very bad place!,"
    Poor Congreve, that quote is more known today than he is!