Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Exactly. There are plenty of other places out there where the spoilers are being openly discussed. Go there if you really need to post about it now.

Out there, that a way Doctor Cosmic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Frog View Post
    The Person(s) who posted the original leak was a thief. Anyone who knowingly reads that spoiler is indicating quite clearly that they condone the actions of the thief and share that Person(s) low ethical standards.

My Thanks to CBR and our Mods for supporting Marvel and Ourselves* in this matter.

*Those of us who consider Internet Piracy to be unethical*
    Desperate times call for desperate measures. The person(s) who leaked this info are trying to send a message.

Hopefully, it will wake up the fandom. It's not about piracy, it's about much deeper issues of integrity, and asking people to consider why they buy the books they do.

Jeph Loeb understood and articulated this very well years ago on the old DC Comics official forums. The issue at hand was the retconning of Byrne's Superman origin into a new version of the Silver Age origin.

He said it then and I say it now: vote with your wallets. I personally didn't want to see the retconning of Byrne's Krypton, so I didn't buy those issues. The story was met with a tremendous amount of backlash and didn't happen as it was originally planned.

It wasn't until years later that DC editorial used "Infinite Crisis" to make alterations across the DCU, including doing away with most of Byrne's MOS stuff.

My point: if you are angered by ASM700 in a few weeks, put your money where your mouth is. If you're happy with it, do the same. Support the next chapter in the spider-man saga.

I'm just sick of sites who are in the pocket of Marvel (Newsarama and CBR, among many others) going to great extremes to censor the discussion of voting with your wallets. That's what's happening in this thread and elsewhere with this current Marvel "event."

It won't stop unless we, the fans, stop it.
    \S/
    1938-2013
    75 YEARS OF MAKING THE WORLD BELIEVE

Four degrees higher Cheesedique's Avatar

I really want to know what the twist is. I wont be able to pick up this issue until after the first of next year and its sure to be spoiled for me by then.

Guess ill have to go full internet blackout soon.

Spider-man/DCU Moderator ShaggyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Cosmic View Post
    Desperate times call for desperate measures. The person(s) who leaked this info are trying to send a message.
    The person who leaked this issue isnt some internet hero. Its a person who stole a copy from the printing press and leaked a few pages of it online without context. I could easily, on Dec 26th, flip to the pages he/she released and do what you claim they are urging us to do. He/She is not sending the heroic message you seem to be attributing them, nor is he/she helping fans to vote with their wallets. Again that can be done standing in the store by the individual.

Hopefully, it will wake up the fandom. It's not about piracy, it's about much deeper issues of integrity, and asking people to consider why they buy the books they do.
    unfortunately it is about piracy as his/her crusade began with him/her becoming a pirate. That pretty much eliminates the integrity of said individuals actions. One could challenge the question of why people buy books without resorting to theft and piracy.

My point: if you are angered by ASM700 in a few weeks, put your money where your mouth is. If you're happy with it, do the same. Support the next chapter in the spider-man saga.
    Which can be done with a person picking up the book in the store on the day its out and flipping to the spoiler. At least then it isnt piracy.

And piracy wont ever cause it to stop unless you mean in the way of closing up shop and going out of business. It also very much hurts your local store. They will order what they expect to sell. If a pirate cuts there numbers by distributing the issue online, they take a massive hit not marvel. Orders are filled and will be shipped soon. Payment is already done. This action doesnt teach Marvel anything.

Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Cosmic View Post

Jeph Loeb understood and articulated this very well years ago on the old DC Comics official forums. The issue at hand was the retconning of Byrne's Superman origin into a new version of the Silver Age origin.

He said it then and I say it now: vote with your wallets. I personally didn't want to see the retconning of Byrne's Krypton, so I didn't buy those issues. The story was met with a tremendous amount of backlash and didn't happen as it was originally planned.

It wasn't until years later that DC editorial used "Infinite Crisis" to make alterations across the DCU, including doing away with most of Byrne's MOS stuff.

I'm just sick of sites who are in the pocket of Marvel (Newsarama and CBR, among many others) going to great extremes to censor the discussion of voting with your wallets. That's what's happening in this thread and elsewhere with this current Marvel "event."

If you don't want to know the story, you don't buy the book. If you're curious enough about what happens and where things might be going, then you pay your price of admittance just like everyone else, even if it means being angry by the last page or not. That is part of the journey.

You can don as much righteous armor as you want, it's still wrong.
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

Damn two whole weeks before the release?
    Mr. Slott must be pissed.
    Personally I spoiled myself issue 698 but I'll wait for 700 and read it privately.

Quote Originally Posted by J/O/J/O View Post
    Damn two whole weeks before the release?
    Mr. Slott must be pissed.
    Personally I spoiled myself issue 698 but I'll wait for 700 and read it privately.
    I applaud your resolve. Kudos to you.

I must be missing something here. The things I saw weren't an entire comic, they were some panels of the book. Granted there was an overview of the book and what happens, but there's nothing there that isn't on these forums. I see spoilers and screenshots all over this place. I'd agree it would be piracy if the ENTIRE book was online. If those shots are considered piracy than so are all the shots on this forum, and that should be addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyB View Post
    I applaud your resolve. Kudos to you.
    Yeah I'm fitghting my urge but I havent been this excited to read a Spider-Man comic since Big Time.

Holy shit, people who pirate comics are @#$%ing freedom fighters!

The internet has a hit a new low. Apparently there is no basement.
    Every week, I write about the science in comic books and what it says about our real world!
    Check it out, if you'd like!

Quote Originally Posted by bskell View Post
    I must be missing something here. The things I saw weren't an entire comic, they were some panels of the book. Granted there was an overview of the book and what happens, but there's nothing there that isn't on these forums. I see spoilers and screenshots all over this place. I'd agree it would be piracy if the ENTIRE book was online. If those shots are considered piracy than so are all the shots on this forum, and that should be addressed.
    Shots given to us by marvel /dc/image are not piracy as they are given by the content owners to use with permission. As to scans, cbr limits the amount we allow someone to post due to it becoming piracy if too much is placed up. See Fair Use vs Piracy in law books for why. Likewise, you cant obtain a legal copy of the book currently. It wasnt scheduled to hit stores for delivery until next week. If you dont call that theft/piracy, then we are at an impasse.

BANNED

People correctly guessing the surprise months ahead of 698 spoiled it for me. Writers are so predictable these days.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyB View Post
    Shots given to us by marvel /dc/image are not piracy as they are given by the content owners to use with permission. As to scans, cbr limits the amount we allow someone to post due to it becoming piracy if too much is placed up. See Fair Use vs Piracy in law books for why. Likewise, you cant obtain a legal copy of the book currently. It wasnt scheduled to hit stores for delivery until next week. If you dont call that theft/piracy, then we are at an impasse.
    Thanks for clearing up some of the scans of a book vs pictures. I believe that piracy is in fact theft, but in this case I don't know if it's theft. The book is a physical one (at least the pictures I saw were from one) so it's possible the book came from legal means, such as a free copy for the printers or some odd comp list. That to me would cause it to fall into the same group as the stuff up here. It'd be one thing if it was hacked from Marvels' site, but this wasn't. Until there's a police report jumping to theft is a bit much. I will however abide to the policies of this site and won't argue the point to stupidity.

People, including Alonso, really need to stop talking about "piracy" as though the issue has been scanned in its entirety and made freely available for download online. It hasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Convex View Post
    People, including Alonso, really need to stop talking about "piracy" as though the issue has been scanned in its entirety and made freely available for download online. It hasn't.
    But it will be no later than the day of the release. Same as everything else. That's still piracy, and that's still a problem.
    Every week, I write about the science in comic books and what it says about our real world!
    Check it out, if you'd like!