Page 85 of 94 FirstFirst ... 3575818283848586878889 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,275 of 1404

The Onion had a nice piece several months ago about what that kind of famous "privilege" might be like, incidentally: http://www.theonion.com/articles/hol...ll-my-d,28891/

So, as this was all starting to sink in—and I was pretty shocked, as you can probably imagine—it occurred to me that I have my own Secret Service detail, which means there are also people who want me dead. They want me, an 11-year-old little girl, dead. Same goes for my mom and big sister. I mean, shit, they want to kill my whole family.
    Last edited by Michael P; 12-30-2012 at 11:19 AM.
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Well, someone's been reading Breitbart.com this morning.
    I didn't read it this morning, and it's on other sites. I see an opportunity for this much talked-about "job[s] creation," don't you?

Everything else you can file away under Obviously.

As a teacher, some of the posts here scare me. They make me glad that as screwed up as the UK education system is, I didn't follow through on my plans to move to the US and teach there instead.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
    Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by verslibre View Post
    If the First Daughters can attend a private school with eleven armed guards (and they're hiring another), I don't see why other schools can't have armed security when there are thousands that already do. I bet there are quite a few people that would be happy to take the job, especially if they're currently out of work.
    As mentioned...many, many times so far Columbine, Pearl River, and Virginia Tech all had armed individuals on campus when their respective shootings occured. They didn't save a single life.

Quote Originally Posted by Wjowski View Post
    As mentioned...many, many times so far Columbine, Pearl River, and Virginia Tech all had armed individuals on campus when their respective shootings occured. They didn't save a single life.
    Still no reason for the umpteen other schools across the nation to lay off their security personnel. Actually, the security detail at Columbine said they saved many lives that day, in spite of everyone who did get shot.

Still no reason for the umpteen other schools across the nation to lay off their security personnel. Actually, the security detail at Columbine said they saved many lives that day, in spite of everyone who did get shot.
    Then they're full of shit. The Columbine incident only ended because the shooters killed themselves. There was no surrender or standing down.

But yeah, fine, let's arm our schools. Then the next school shooting will be involve a teacher or other official snapping and unloading his or her weapon on the students.
    Last edited by Wjowski; 12-30-2012 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wjowski View Post
    Then they're full of shit. The Columbine incident only ended because the shooters killed themselves. There was no surrender or standing down.
    They claim they got a lot of kids out of there. I wasn't there doing their job so I'll abstain from speaking brazenly about their allegedly insufficient performances. It's not like they ran in the opposite direction.

Magnificent Bastard worstblogever's Avatar

They claim they got a lot of kids out of there. I wasn't there doing their job so I'll abstain from speaking brazenly about their allegedly insufficient performances. It's not like they ran in the opposite direction.
    So did unarmed teachers at Sandy Hook. Walking kids out of a class without firing a shot kind of proves the opposite argument about armed security in schools.

CBR's Cerebra: Mutant Tracker
    Updated Tuesdays.

X-Poster of the Month: January 2014
    - the best there is at what i do -

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    So did unarmed teachers at Sandy Hook. Walking kids out of a class without firing a shot kind of proves the opposite argument about armed security in schools.
    Not for the principal.

They didn't take down the two shooters with a single head shot from 700 yards, did thy, which is kind of the thrust of the argument that's being used about putting armed guards in schools. The fact they were armed is utterly immaterial in this case and they fulfilled a role that teachers usually field in these situations. So tell us again what difference the gun on their hips made?
    The Hod: Novelist, raconteur and celebrated sexual athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by thehod View Post
    They didn't take down the two shooters with a single head shot from 700 yards, did thy, which is kind of the thrust of the argument that's being used about putting armed guards in schools. The fact they were armed is utterly immaterial in this case and they fulfilled a role that teachers usually field in these situations. So tell us again what difference the gun on their hips made?
    I assume at the very least they fired at the shooters and got them to retreat from the windows. I thought I'd read that they'd started to fire into the parking lot, but I could be wrong. Like I said, I wasn't there.

I assume at the very least they fired at the shooters and got them to retreat from the windows.
    From what distance?! Because that doesn't sound in the slightest bit dangerous or just as likely to create more innocent casualties.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
    Douglas Adams

I assume at the very least they fired at the shooters and got them to retreat from the windows. I thought I'd read that they'd started to fire into the parking lot, but I could be wrong. Like I said, I wasn't there.
    Perhaps you'd like to reserve your comments to what you know, rather than what you assume.
    The Hod: Novelist, raconteur and celebrated sexual athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by Deviates View Post
    From what distance?! Because that doesn't sound in the slightest bit dangerous or just as likely to create more innocent casualties.
    Hopefully from their cars, like in the movies. So what should they have done, open a package of Donettes?

Quote Originally Posted by thehod View Post
    Perhaps you'd like to reserve your comments to what you know, rather than what you assume.
    Just as soon as you do the same. Your editorials read like reprints.