Page 17 of 94 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 255 of 1404
  1. #241
    Elder Member mikekerrIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    23,580

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bipolar danger girl View Post
    So... really, how do we get 2/3 votes in the House and the Senate, along with ratification by 2/3 of the states in the USA? It's not totally impossible, right?
    Not impossible, but nearly so. Finding state legislatures willing to commit political suicide would be rough and it would be political suicide even in blue states like Delaware where I live, Any constitutional amendment is a tough thing to get passed but f'ng with the Bill of Rights would be massively more difficult. I doubt you could even get simple majorities in Congress much less the legislatures.

    there is a reason that politician like Obama don't go there and it is simply that doing so is usually futile and politically poison outside of a few very liberal states that have huge urban voting blocks
    Pain shared is divided, joy shared is multiplied

  2. #242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 7thangel View Post
    you need to fix your link, Ian

    here's a bunch. one blaming Obama, more calling for less gun-free zones like schools. y'know, the same shit over and over again

    http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2012...ooting-twitter
    It works for me.

    alternately, just google "Newtown flalse flag".
    Visit the Ace Comics & Games Digital shopfront:
    http://www.acecomics.comicretailer.com

  3. #243
    Elder Member mikekerrIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    23,580

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Melanieshaman View Post
    True... 2nd amendment people are REALLY..."passionate" about their guns.
    Mosty americans are really passionate about the "Bill of Rights"
    Pain shared is divided, joy shared is multiplied

  4. #244
    Veteran Member Simbob4000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    6,969

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iangould View Post
    And yet killers, time and again, opt to use guns; spends hundreds of dollars on them; wait to get background checks approved etc.

    Why do you think that is?
    Because? Who knows, maybe it's because guns get people all riled up and that's what they want, maybe it feels more personal, maybe it just seems like the most practical way to do it, maybe they don't want people to forget it. Hell, someone in this thread didn't know about the Oklahoma City bombing, that's the biggest domestic terrorist attack we've had, once was the largest terrorist attack on US soil.That Aurora theatre shooter had built bombs, if he had used those there it sounds like it could have been worse...but he went with guns...because.

    It can't be because bombs are hard to make.

  5. #245
    Strrrrrrrrrrrrex mailedbypostman1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Strrrrreeeex
    Posts
    31,123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simbob4000 View Post
    Because? Who knows, maybe it's because guns get people all riled up and that's what they want, maybe it feels more personal, maybe it just seems like the most practical way to do it, maybe they don't want people to forget it. Hell, someone in this thread didn't know about the Oklahoma City bombing, that's the biggest domestic terrorist attack we've had, once was the largest terrorist attack on US soil.That Aurora theatre shooter had built bombs, if he had used those there it sounds like it could have been worse...but he went with guns...because.

    It can't be because bombs are hard to make.
    Why can't it be?
    Strrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrex

  6. #246
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,835

    Default

    One suggestion to bp danger girl -- even though this is just a little step and won't save everyone, you *can* try to at least make your own town a safer place by pressuring local politicians. I don't know what kind of city you live in, but if you happen to live in a smaller place, it can be a lot easier to make a town of 40,000 anti-gun than turning around the entire nation. I know this is just taking care of your own immediate vicinity, but very few of us have the power to affect entire nations.

  7. #247

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mailedbypostman1 View Post
    Why can't it be?
    Because anyone who spent their teens constructively knows they aren't.
    Visit the Ace Comics & Games Digital shopfront:
    http://www.acecomics.comicretailer.com

  8. #248
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iangould View Post
    Because anyone who spent their teens constructively knows they aren't.
    Or deconstructively...

  9. #249
    Strrrrrrrrrrrrex mailedbypostman1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Strrrrreeeex
    Posts
    31,123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iangould View Post
    Because anyone who spent their teens constructively knows they aren't.
    I've been missing out...
    Strrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrex

  10. #250
    Elder Member mikekerrIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    23,580

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iangould View Post
    If you look at the history of gun control in the US you will realize that Mike is presenting a straw man argument. Both state and federal laws have been more restrictive in the past thanc urrently and these restrictions have been upheld as constitutionally valid. At most, you'd need to replace a couple of the current Supreme Court justices.
    No they have not been upheld as constitutionally valid, from the thirties until recently the SC was mute on the subject, Outside of a case that hinged on what was a permissible weapon under the Constitution can you cite a single SC ruling to back that claim?
    Pain shared is divided, joy shared is multiplied

  11. #251
    Peachtree St. Irregular Loren's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    5,406

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikekerrIII View Post
    Real gun control can happen but one of the main problems is that silliness like the assault weapons ban, that outlawed not a single assault weapon are the typical method chosen by it proponents.
    Earlier this week, one Congressman was talking about banning a gun that doesn't exist.

  12. #252
    Elder Member mikekerrIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    23,580

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mailedbypostman1 View Post
    Why can't it be?
    Becasue they are really easy to make by anyone who can read and follow instructions.
    Pain shared is divided, joy shared is multiplied

  13. #253
    Elder Member mikekerrIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    23,580

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    Earlier this week, one Congressman was talking about banning a gun that doesn't exist.
    And ignoring the fact that people have been making their own guns for centuries.
    Pain shared is divided, joy shared is multiplied

  14. #254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    Earlier this week, one Congressman was talking about banning a gun that doesn't exist.
    Seeing as 3D printing of guns would make essentially all existing licensing provisions impracticable, I find nothing absurd about that.

    Or should we wait until someone prints a full-auto assault rifle and goes on a rampage and then cry "why didn't They do something?".
    Visit the Ace Comics & Games Digital shopfront:
    http://www.acecomics.comicretailer.com

  15. #255
    Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    46,327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IamtheRock3 View Post
    if the media to blame for anything

    it putting to much attention on the shooters. These type of nuts CRAVE attention. And they know this an easy way to get it.
    attention doesn't matter much if you're dead.
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •