View Poll Results: which powerset is best?

Voters
28. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • YJ SB or golden age limited

    7 25.00%
  • full kryptonian

    2 7.14%
  • strictly touch TTK

    2 7.14%
  • TTK,touch,no touch,and sensory ability

    4 14.29%
  • mixed kryptonian/TTK,both limited

    9 32.14%
  • mixed kryptonian/TTK,both fully powered

    4 14.29%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 46
  1. #31
    Tactile Telekinesis stephens2177's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,528

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I like Kon to be a weaker version of Superman. I think the Young Justice cartoon is off to the right start, though I don't care for the idea that Superboy isn't aging. I'd also welcome the possibility that maybe he will eventually gain the ability to fly and develop heat vision. I haven't followed the New 52 Superboy much, so I don't know what his exact genetic make up is, but if we're still talking about a human/Kryptonian hybrid, I figure his powers should be somewhere in between, which to me is another way of saying a weaker Kryptonian.
    Ok you all know i love the new SBs powerset,i wont deny that,but the original kon was created with TTK to approximate the superman type powers,and it was srrictly a "touch" power,and that is something the new SB doesnt follow,and i do miss that.the new SB could still have just as great of senses,and still be asstrong as a kryptonian,but it makes it inconsistent with him levitating and blasting things without any contact.
    If i was in charge i would give him all the TTK abilites he had by the end of his first series,but at new 52 levels,.

    not only did SBs creators give him TTK to mimic most of supermans powers,but also they actually created him.with real kryptonian dna,or atleast what they could.decipher of it,which should also give him.some powers,just not superman level powers,but watered down weaker versions of his powers ala YJ SB.

    this should have been the structure of.his powers ,from kesel,to johns,to the present,he should.have been a clone who was modified and given TTK,but also created with actual kryptonian dna,its a two pronged creation,not one.

    so you have kon being part modified human with TTK,and part kryptonian,stabilized by the use.of the human dna,and together creating a powerful superman,who.is not exactly like superman,but is just as SUPER.A creation that had to have human dna to make it happen.

    he could have the super hearijng and infra red vision that YJ SB has,because even though nuSBs TTK senses are awesome and powerful,there is still limits to it,and both powersets would compliment the other perfectly.

    i also would.like.it if his TTK was consciously controlled,that gives him a great weakness,and gives his kryptonian abilites more reason to be there.i also think.the human dna should counteract what kryptonite usually does to a actual kryptonian.

    I dont think SB needs a third donor,even though thats the reality we are livijng with,but i would take it away in my personal version.that means no spreadout consciousness,but still having TTK ,because of.the attempt.to make a approximation with human dna and TTK.

    these two different ideas merged together would probably go.over better than the others,because it gives kesel fans the human/TTK,the YJ fans the kryptonian/human hybrid with watered down kryptonian powers,and also the new 52 fans because of the TTK levels of power,and senses,with no.kryptonite weakness,but having to.consciously control his TTK.

    now i know this will probably never happen,and i know there will always be different versions,but i want ONE consistent version,ONE consistent orign,and ONE consistent powerset.

  2. #32
    Senior Member Superlad93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,526

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stephens2177 View Post
    Ok you all know i love the new SBs powerset,i wont deny that,but the original kon was created with TTK to approximate the superman type powers,and it was srrictly a "touch" power,and that is something the new SB doesnt follow,and i do miss that.the new SB could still have just as great of senses,and still be asstrong as a kryptonian,but it makes it inconsistent with him levitating and blasting things without any contact.
    If i was in charge i would give him all the TTK abilites he had by the end of his first series,but at new 52 levels,.

    not only did SBs creators give him TTK to mimic most of supermans powers,but also they actually created him.with real kryptonian dna,or atleast what they could.decipher of it,which should also give him.some powers,just not superman level powers,but watered down weaker versions of his powers ala YJ SB.

    this should have been the structure of.his powers ,from kesel,to johns,to the present,he should.have been a clone who was modified and given TTK,but also created with actual kryptonian dna,its a two pronged creation,not one.

    so you have kon being part modified human with TTK,and part kryptonian,stabilized by the use.of the human dna,and together creating a powerful superman,who.is not exactly like superman,but is just as SUPER.A creation that had to have human dna to make it happen.

    he could have the super hearijng and infra red vision that YJ SB has,because even though nuSBs TTK senses are awesome and powerful,there is still limits to it,and both powersets would compliment the other perfectly.

    i also would.like.it if his TTK was consciously controlled,that gives him a great weakness,and gives his kryptonian abilites more reason to be there.i also think.the human dna should counteract what kryptonite usually does to a actual kryptonian.

    I dont think SB needs a third donor,even though thats the reality we are livijng with,but i would take it away in my personal version.that means no spreadout consciousness,but still having TTK ,because of.the attempt.to make a approximation with human dna and TTK.

    these two different ideas merged together would probably go.over better than the others,because it gives kesel fans the human/TTK,the YJ fans the kryptonian/human hybrid with watered down kryptonian powers,and also the new 52 fans because of the TTK levels of power,and senses,with no.kryptonite weakness,but having to.consciously control his TTK.

    now i know this will probably never happen,and i know there will always be different versions,but i want ONE consistent version,ONE consistent orign,and ONE consistent powerset.
    As a YJ fan this doesn't really go over well with me at all. The point of his YJ powers is to make him weaker and different than Superman, but at the same time still very similar to him. From the fact that he can't fly to not being as strong as his brother it all adds something for me TTK would pretty much just fix everything for him and go completely opposite of what I like about him.

    Give him TTK (that mimics K powers) and some kryptonian in any from just seem redundant no matter how it's put.

    There's just something honest and simple about a Superboy like the one in YJ, but I also like other versions of the character so I'd never want my personal favorite version of the character (YJ) to be the only one. Also other people don't share my view so there has to be a Superboy for them too.

  3. #33

    Default

    YJ SB has developed into something amazingly wonderful. NuSB and KeselSB are different beasts. Lets leave them all alone and where they are.

  4. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stk View Post
    Plain TTK.

    In fact, I wouldn't mind if SuperMAN's powers were rebooted to be plain TTK.
    I agree, but TTK that's more or less limited to him only using his traditional powerset and not the complex stuff that Superboy uses it for.
    People who chime in on vs. threads with "I don't like Superman at all, but he'd win.", STOP HELPING! Superman doesn't need your damning him with faint praise, thank you.

  5. #35
    Tactile Telekinesis stephens2177's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,528

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    As a YJ fan this doesn't really go over well with me at all. The point of his YJ powers is to make him weaker and different than Superman, but at the same time still very similar to him. From the fact that he can't fly to not being as strong as his brother it all adds something for me TTK would pretty much just fix everything for him and go completely opposite of what I like about him.

    Give him TTK (that mimics K powers) and some kryptonian in any from just seem redundant no matter how it's put.

    There's just something honest and simple about a Superboy like the one in YJ, but I also like other versions of the character so I'd never want my personal favorite version of the character (YJ) to be the only one. Also other people don't share my view so there has to be a Superboy for them too.

    And there is nothing wrong with the YJ SB,let the show run its course,and be the way weisman wants,but im thinking long term,and im thinking of more than a small portian of what superboy is,the YJ show only shows half of what he is,it shows it really well,but its not a complete look at the character.
    Oh and just because you have a jones for the tv shows SB doesnt mean you need to downplay TTK,its been around longer than the lex/kal hybrid stuff,and its just as important,or more so.oh and every comic version of kon has had some form of TTK,tv simplifies things for the ADD viewer.

    SB in the comics needs a consistent characterization,powerset,and origin,think comic books ppl,just because i take good ideas from tv,doesnt mean i want to change the show,cause i dont.

    Now back my idea for a perfectly blended SB for the comics.
    -genetically modified human with TTK
    -use of partially decoded kryptonian dna,with limited kryptonian powers
    -human dna stabilizes the kryptonian dna,for no bizzaro or bezerk,it also gives him immunity to kryptonite.
    - his TTK is as powerful as it is in the new 52,but without the full TK,everything is touch,also his TTK only works on a conscious level.
    -hie has TTK senses,but also superhearing and infra red vision,to shore up the weakness of the other.
    -no third donor,and no spread out consciousness
    -his limits are 1) TTK only by touch,2) golden age kryptonian levels3)conscious control of his TTK

    What do you think?

  6. #36

    Default

    I've heard people state a dislike for the idea of SB as a less powerful version of SM. They usually use the phrase "Superman lite" as kind of an insult, but isn't that exactly what Action Comics is? Lots people that read that title say it's the best thing going in the nu52. I'm not saying we need both now, but wouldn't it have made sense to make Superboy the main character in Action, given him the powers the current AC Superman has and tell Grant Morison to just have fun with it? That way he and the current Superman writer wouldn't have had to worry about the five years ago continuity thing. Maybe even leave it at the tribute to golden age Superman that Action started out as.
    Seems to me like the simplest, most elegant thing to have done.
    Batgirl, Superman/Wonder Woman, Detective Comics, Worlds Finest, Batman/Superman, The Movement, Astro City, Kick Ass 3, Miracle Man, Nightcrawler, Red Sonja, The Star Wars, Sandman: Overture, The Maxx

  7. #37
    Tactile Telekinesis stephens2177's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,528

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by net06 View Post
    I've heard people state a dislike for the idea of SB as a less powerful version of SM. They usually use the phrase "Superman lite" as kind of an insult, but isn't that exactly what Action Comics is? Lots people that read that title say it's the best thing going in the nu52. I'm not saying we need both now, but wouldn't it have made sense to make Superboy the main character in Action, given him the powers the current AC Superman has and tell Grant Morison to just have fun with it? That way he and the current Superman writer wouldn't have had to worry about the five years ago continuity thing. Maybe even leave it at the tribute to golden age Superman that Action started out as.
    Seems to me like the simplest, most elegant thing to have done.
    We call him superman lite when he acts just like.superman,when they are very different from each other,not to mention powers,when.he has always had TTK too,and he followed clarks footsteps mostly in.smalville,instead of following his own path.

    Superboy in his first series was weaker than.superman,and.also.unique using his TTK,.

    Superman in action.comics is awesome,because he is badass at any level of power,and this was a journey to his present form.

  8. #38
    Senior Member Superlad93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,526

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stephens2177 View Post
    And there is nothing wrong with the YJ SB,let the show run its course,and be the way weisman wants,but im thinking long term,and im thinking of more than a small portian of what superboy is,the YJ show only shows half of what he is,it shows it really well,but its not a complete look at the character.
    Oh and just because you have a jones for the tv shows SB doesnt mean you need to downplay TTK,its been around longer than the lex/kal hybrid stuff,and its just as important,or more so.oh and every comic version of kon has had some form of TTK,tv simplifies things for the ADD viewer.

    SB in the comics needs a consistent characterization,powerset,and origin,think comic books ppl,just because i take good ideas from tv,doesnt mean i want to change the show,cause i dont.

    Now back my idea for a perfectly blended SB for the comics.
    -genetically modified human with TTK
    -use of partially decoded kryptonian dna,with limited kryptonian powers
    -human dna stabilizes the kryptonian dna,for no bizzaro or bezerk,it also gives him immunity to kryptonite.
    - his TTK is as powerful as it is in the new 52,but without the full TK,everything is touch,also his TTK only works on a conscious level.
    -hie has TTK senses,but also superhearing and infra red vision,to shore up the weakness of the other.
    -no third donor,and no spread out consciousness
    -his limits are 1) TTK only by touch,2) golden age kryptonian levels3)conscious control of his TTK

    What do you think?
    I didn't really say you were changing the show I was just really taking about the powers in general and what they represent to me and I still think giving Superboy one overreaching characterization is a bad idea because it locks the door for more interpretations and interesting things that you can do with him. If your idea went to print or TV then I'd never have even gotten my YJ Superboy the way he is now. I want others down the road to find a Superboy that they like because he interest them with something new.

    An TTK has been part of him since he was made but so what it's not like he has the longstanding career of Superman or Batman (who have both changed over the years mind you). Superboy is great because he's got the namesake of Superman and all the weight that comes with it, but he's also very malleable and flexible because he's still such a relatively new character so changes can always be made to him....it's half the fun of him.

    Also TTK and golden age powers come off as redundant to me. Why would he need to really think about concentrating when he already has GA powers to back him up if he slacks...then what was the point of giving him the concentration weakness in the 1st place? Then the TTK undermines the GA powers because he would never actually use them for anything meaningful other than protecting himself when he slacks off on the TTK then he could just fly around all over the place being Super almost like he's just another Kryptonian.


    Why make Superboy's life so easy? He's never come of as the kid who gets things the easy way. He's usually had to fight tooth and nail for whatever he wants or need and things seem to always get in the way when he thinks he's got it all. This goes for YJ and the comics, it's something that seems to run through the character and makes like him even more.

    With respect to you, but I really think this undermines the very nature of the character if you ask me.

  9. #39
    Tactile Telekinesis stephens2177's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,528

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I didn't really say you were changing the show I was just really taking about the powers in general and what they represent to me and I still think giving Superboy one overreaching characterization is a bad idea because it locks the door for more interpretations and interesting things that you can do with him. If your idea went to print or TV then I'd never have even gotten my YJ Superboy the way he is now. I want others down the road to find a Superboy that they like because he interest them with something new.

    An TTK has been part of him since he was made but so what it's not like he has the longstanding career of Superman or Batman (who have both changed over the years mind you). Superboy is great because he's got the namesake of Superman and all the weight that comes with it, but he's also very malleable and flexible because he's still such a relatively new character so changes can always be made to him....it's half the fun of him.

    Also TTK and golden age powers come off as redundant to me. Why would he need to really think about concentrating when he already has GA powers to back him up if he slacks...then what was the point of giving him the concentration weakness in the 1st place? Then the TTK undermines the GA powers because he would never actually use them for anything meaningful other than protecting himself when he slacks off on the TTK then he could just fly around all over the place being Super almost like he's just another Kryptonian.


    Why make Superboy's life so easy? He's never come of as the kid who gets things the

    easy way. He's usually had to fight tooth and nail for whatever he wants or need and things seem to always get in the way when he thinks he's got it all. This goes for YJ and the comics, it's something that seems to run through the character and makes like him even more.

    With respect to you, but I really think this undermines the very nature of the character if you ask me.


    actually you got the YJ version.of.SB because of the johns version,which is.a.combination kryptonian/human hybrid with both kryptonian and TTK powers,it didnt stop the YJ show.from.taking the part that worked for.them and running with it did it?

    "So what" really? So your answer is to downplay the importance of his TTK,even say it doesnt matter,and he could.just have any powerset? So other characters like.blue beetle*an.just change powersets no.latter how.vital.to.the character.it.is?kon.has had TTK.from.the start,and.has.NEVER not.had it,there.is a reason.for.that.

    the whole.point of kon.wearing supermans armor.is.to.show.you how.the two.powersets are different,this SB doesnt use.or.think.of.his power like the kesel.SB,read the books,look.at.how.he thinks.and acts.different with or.without the armor and then comeback and comment afterward.

    Life.is not easy for SB,it hasnt been easy so.far has it? You also.think.superman shoukdnt be so powerful,cause things come toneasy for.him,the question what things are easy? Getting kittens out of.trees? Yes,very easy,taking on sentien suns,not easy at all.also he would.struggle.with moral.issues,family issues,not.easy lad.

  10. #40
    Senior Member Superlad93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,526

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stephens2177 View Post
    actually you got the YJ version.of.SB because of the johns version,which is.a.combination kryptonian/human hybrid with both kryptonian and TTK powers,it didnt stop the YJ show.from.taking the part that worked for.them and running with it did it?

    "So what" really? So your answer is to downplay the importance of his TTK,even say it doesnt matter,and he could.just have any powerset? So other characters like.blue beetle*an.just change powersets no.latter how.vital.to.the character.it.is?kon.has had TTK.from.the start,and.has.NEVER not.had it,there.is a reason.for.that.

    the whole.point of kon.wearing supermans armor.is.to.show.you how.the two.powersets are different,this SB doesnt use.or.think.of.his power like the kesel.SB,read the books,look.at.how.he thinks.and acts.different with or.without the armor and then comeback and comment afterward.

    Life.is not easy for SB,it hasnt been easy so.far has it? You also.think.superman shoukdnt be so powerful,cause things come toneasy for.him,the question what things are easy? Getting kittens out of.trees? Yes,very easy,taking on sentien suns,not easy at all.also he would.struggle.with moral.issues,family issues,not.easy lad.
    I never said anything about Superman in fact I think Superman works at any power level so please don't put words in my mouth. I stand by what I said about Superboy and how I feel he should never have one version. I stand by what I said about TTK. I like it as a power, it's very cool and all but it has never made Superboy for me and is subject to change in my eyes. If you don't feel the same that's fine I have no problem with that.

    You missed my whole point. If they were never allowed to take liberties with his power set then he would never have had Johns power set because it was by all counts different from his 90's counterpart. Then we would have never had YJ's power set which is taking liberties with the Superboy power set yet again. My whole point is if we had this mega one version that you speak of then I would have never gotten my YJ Superboy the way he is now and some other fan may miss out on a Superboy that they may like.

    Also I never said life was easy for this character now, I said that it WOULD BE IN REGARDS TO HIS POWERS if he was the Superboy you wanted. I'm not speaking about anything other than POWERS in this thread because that's what it's about powers.

  11. #41
    Tactile Telekinesis stephens2177's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,528

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I never said anything about Superman in fact I think Superman works at any power level so please don't put words in my mouth. I stand by what I said about Superboy and how I feel he should never have one version. I stand by what I said about TTK. I like it as a power, it's very cool and all but it has never made Superboy for me and is subject to change in my eyes. If you don't feel the same that's fine I have no problem with that.

    You missed my whole point. If they were never allowed to take liberties with his power set then he would never have had Johns power set because it was by all counts different from his 90's counterpart. Then we would have never had YJ's power set which is taking liberties with the Superboy power set yet again. My whole point is if we had this mega one version that you speak of then I would have never gotten my YJ Superboy the way he is now and some other fan may miss out on a Superboy that they may like.

    Also I never said life was easy for this character now, I said that it WOULD BE IN REGARDS TO HIS POWERS if he was the Superboy you wanted. I'm not speaking about anything other than POWERS in this thread because that's what it's about powers.


    I dont know when you got into comics,or how old you were when you did,but me,i got into comics during the death and return of superman,i started incomics same time superboy was created,and ive been a ultra huge fan of his from the very first "dont ever call me superboy".if you were in comics from 93 on,and a big superboy fan,,then how can you possibly in anyway say TTK is a fundamental part if who he is?

    Tell me 10 high profile comic characters that have changed there powerset completley,and it stuck?

    Superboy even during the kesel years was always more than just TTK,explained as human modified to be as kryptonian as possible,with factory extras like heat vision,johns took that one stepfurther and said you took the modified human,and combined it with what kryptonian dna we could decipher,and thats how geoff got his SB.my point is kon was never going to be just a TTK user,never,and if johns didnt add the lex/kryptonian stuff,kon would still be more,and if they kept it at just modified human,that would have given weisman enough to tweak his version of SB for his show.weisman hates TTK,he has said that pretty much more than once,atleast forhis show,what he would have done is just make a YJ SB who was a human modified to be as kryptonian as possible,with limited kryptonian powers to boot.the explanation for hispowers might be changed,but he would still be the way he is now on the show.

    Saying giving him his powerset he was always supposed to have would make things to easy for him,powerwise,is a big ol copout.the same has been said for superman forever now,its a silly idea.its the writers job to give the character they are writing obstacles that befit their powers and power levels,and jf they cant,its called bad writing.look at superman,he can manhandle most things on earth,but gets bitchslapped by helspont,and punked by h'el.same wouldhappen for SB,he would have no problem with guys like scavenger,but would have tons of problems with guys like valor/champion/mon-el,and you keep very powerful characters grounded by them trying to have a normallife while being a hero.the possiblities are endless with the right writer.

    And i get you like the YJ SB,i do to,but i see him the same way i see kesels SB,as young ,being a hero,and growing into their powers,,the YJ show isjust what would have happened if he started with kryptonian powers first,while kesel started out with TTK first.

  12. #42
    Senior Member Superlad93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,526

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stephens2177 View Post
    I dont know when you got into comics,or how old you were when you did,but me,i got into comics during the death and return of superman,i started incomics same time superboy was created,and ive been a ultra huge fan of his from the very first "dont ever call me superboy".if you were in comics from 93 on,and a big superboy fan,,then how can you possibly in anyway say TTK is a fundamental part if who he is?

    Tell me 10 high profile comic characters that have changed there powerset completley,and it stuck?

    Superboy even during the kesel years was always more than just TTK,explained as human modified to be as kryptonian as possible,with factory extras like heat vision,johns took that one stepfurther and said you took the modified human,and combined it with what kryptonian dna we could decipher,and thats how geoff got his SB.my point is kon was never going to be just a TTK user,never,and if johns didnt add the lex/kryptonian stuff,kon would still be more,and if they kept it at just modified human,that would have given weisman enough to tweak his version of SB for his show.weisman hates TTK,he has said that pretty much more than once,atleast forhis show,what he would have done is just make a YJ SB who was a human modified to be as kryptonian as possible,with limited kryptonian powers to boot.the explanation for hispowers might be changed,but he would still be the way he is now on the show.

    Saying giving him his powerset he was always supposed to have would make things to easy for him,powerwise,is a big ol copout.the same has been said for superman forever now,its a silly idea.its the writers job to give the character they are writing obstacles that befit their powers and power levels,and jf they cant,its called bad writing.look at superman,he can manhandle most things on earth,but gets bitchslapped by helspont,and punked by h'el.same wouldhappen for SB,he would have no problem with guys like scavenger,but would have tons of problems with guys like valor/champion/mon-el,and you keep very powerful characters grounded by them trying to have a normallife while being a hero.the possiblities are endless with the right writer.

    And i get you like the YJ SB,i do to,but i see him the same way i see kesels SB,as young ,being a hero,and growing into their powers,,the YJ show isjust what would have happened if he started with kryptonian powers first,while kesel started out with TTK first.
    I came into comics around then too and I followed Superboy since then (he actually got me to read comics monthly) and I still don't think TTK is what defines him or even a defining factor of the character. You can't say I'm wrong for that because that's how I feel, just like I'll never tell you you're wrong for your views on him. I can only tell you how I feel on the subject nothing more nothing less.

    For me it's what his powers and origin represented at the time; the idea of a make shift Superman. He was the best we as humans could do to make perfection (Superman). Did we do it? Not really, but what we made was just as special and represents the human struggle to always try for something we can't really get. For Superboy (the 90's, Johns, and YJ) it's his very real need to be Superman but he always seems to have something in his way be it his genetic stress, power limits, moral issues, whatever it feels like real character struggle to me. In all his versions he always has to come to grips with the idea that he is good enough to be Superman in his own way and that it doesn't matter if he's strong enough or fast enough because that's not what it takes to be Superman.

    His TTK only represented this in it's own way because it was a power that only mimicked Superman's and had draw backs to it, but as the series went on and he came to terms that it wasn't Superman's powers he became stronger for it and instead of coming at a situation and asking himself "what would Superman do" he ask "what can and should I do". YJ does this same thing with Superboy's power set. In there he knows he's not as powerful as Superman so he has to come at a situation and ask himself "what can I as Superboy do to fix this" and he'll use the resources at his disposal to do it ( Sphere, Wolf, his friends). If you read Grants Superman (the best if you ask me) then you'll notice that Superman always says "I'll do what I can" and that's the motto that a Superman should have and the motto I give to Superboy's whole life. TTK wasn't cool to me because of what it could do but because of what it represented and the YJ powers are the same.

    For me Superboy is the struggle to be a Superman and it's better if that includes his powers if you ask me.

    Also Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman have all been subject to change in powers and equipment at one time or another and some have stuck such as Superman's powers and power source that you and I are familiar with and Batman not using a gun anymore. You don't have to see it my way but I just feel that Superboy a very flexible character and so long as you keep the idea of him in your mind then you can change his powers and such.

  13. #43
    Tactile Telekinesis stephens2177's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,528

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I came into comics around then too and I followed Superboy since then (he actually got me to read comics monthly) and I still don't think TTK is what defines him or even a defining factor of the character. You can't say I'm wrong for that because that's how I feel, just like I'll never tell you you're wrong for your views on him. I can only tell you how I feel on the subject nothing more nothing less.

    For me it's what his powers and origin represented at the time; the idea of a make shift Superman. He was the best we as humans could do to make perfection (Superman). Did we do it? Not really, but what we made was just as special and represents the human struggle to always try for something we can't really get. For Superboy (the 90's, Johns, and YJ) it's his very real need to be Superman but he always seems to have something in his way be it his genetic stress, power limits, moral issues, whatever it feels like real character struggle to me. In all his versions he always has to come to grips with the idea that he is good enough to be Superman in his own way and that it doesn't matter if he's strong enough or fast enough because that's not what it takes to be Superman.

    His TTK only represented this in it's own way because it was a power that only mimicked Superman's and had draw backs to it, but as the series went on and he came to terms that it wasn't Superman's powers he became stronger for it and instead of coming at a situation and asking himself "what would Superman do" he ask "what can and should I do". YJ does this same thing with Superboy's power set. In there he knows he's not as powerful as Superman so he has to come at a situation and ask himself "what can I as Superboy do to fix this" and he'll use the resources at his disposal to do it ( Sphere, Wolf, his friends). If you read Grants Superman (the best if you ask me) then you'll notice that Superman always says "I'll do what I can" and that's the motto that a Superman should have and the motto I give to Superboy's whole life. TTK wasn't cool to me because of what it could do but because of what it represented and the YJ powers are the same.

    For me Superboy is the struggle to be a Superman and it's better if that includes his powers if you ask me.

    Also Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman have all been subject to change in powers and equipment at one time or another and some have stuck such as Superman's powers and power source that you and I are familiar with and Batman not using a gun anymore. You don't have to see it my way but I just feel that Superboy a very flexible character and so long as you keep the idea of him in your mind then you can change his powers and such.



    Actually powers are a big part of a character,look at spidermans spider sense,supermans strength,heat and xr ay vison,hulks strength,captain americas super soldier serum,any green lanterns ring.if they changed,it would change the character,and thats why you dont see changes,unless they are for the short term.
    I think you have the right to like however somebodies powers are or work,but that doesnt mean keeping stability isnt important.

    The kesel and YJ SBs both are attempts tocreate another superman,and both for the most part are lacking,in this simplostic idea these two are more a like than any other two versions of SB,they just used different methods for the same result.

    Geoffs SB was a combination of the two attempts,and probably the most powerfulversion easily,but he still had issues with his powers,struggles emotionally and physically,not living a easier life because he was more powerful.

    Oh and the SB i thought up is actually weaker in many ways than geoffs version.geoffs SBs kryptonian side was fully powered with all the powers and levels,while i would rather he only have YJ or golden age limits,and geoffs SBs TTK side was really limited while he was young,but very powerful when he was older,i like the lobdell SBs TTK,but without full TK,which the future SB from geoffs run had,which would make my version weaker in some ways.the only things about my SB that is more powerful was that he has the lobdell SBs senses,and no weskness to kryptonite.you argue my SB is to powerful,but geoffs was more powerful .i like my SB to struggle,and the powerset that reflects that is mine

    SB is a flexible character because he was created from two different attempts,most characters have one,so you could pick one orthe other,or both if wanted to,so he is more flexible than most,BUT not infinitly felxible like you say.

  14. #44
    Senior Member Robotman4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,473

    Default

    Super strength, flight, and TTK. That is my preference. Basically what he has right now. Really hated when he had all of Superman's powers. The analogy of his powers emerging being like a regular teenager going through puberty was an interesting story concept but after it was all said and done it just made him boring. having TTK instead of heat vision and extra sensory powers makes him unique.

    Right before the New 52 reboot Superboy was just a short version of Superman. Same powers, same personality. I like the fact that he's different than Kal. Now if we can just get a better writer.
    Last edited by Robotman4; 12-23-2012 at 10:18 PM.

  15. #45
    Tactile Telekinesis stephens2177's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,528

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robotman4 View Post
    Super strength, flight, and TTK. That is my preference. Basically what he has right now. Really hated when he had all of Superman's powers. The analogy of his powers emerging being like a regular teenager going through puberty was an interesting story concept but after it was all said and done it just made him boring. having TTK instead of heat vision and extra sensory powers makes him unique.

    Right before the New 52 reboot Superboy was just a short version of Superman. Same powers, same personality. I like the fact that he's different than Kal. Now if we can just get a better writer.

    good post.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •