Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    One thing that I really like about this mini to this very day is that unlike Year One which really only introduced Batman and Gordon, Untold Tales really introduced Batman's whole world. Despite its flaws it's a much more inclusive book than Year One.
    Agreed, and you really don't want me to go on one of my rants about all that was wrong with Year One

I DO appreciate the more inclusive approach in Untold Legend, but I think it's paced poorly. The heart of the first issue is the origin story, not the framing device, and so, when the origin story is thematically resolved by the close, it feels odd that there's still more to tell, and Robin's story just doesn't capture his psyche and soul the way that Batman's did.

Like I said, it's been a while since I read all three issues back to back, but I recall thinking that if they had found a way to space out Bruce's origin through out all three issues it would have made for a more evenly paced story. I don't know I'll feel that way again once I get the chance to re-read it but when I was in highschool that was something I thought about doing, I think I may have gotten as far as photocopying my issues in an attempt to cut it up and try and rearrange it. I don't think I ever followed through with the project for one reason or another but I was convinced I could do it at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Like I said, it's been a while since I read all three issues back to back, but I recall thinking that if they had found a way to space out Bruce's origin through out all three issues it would have made for a more evenly paced story. I don't know I'll feel that way again once I get the chance to re-read it but when I was in highschool that was something I thought about doing, I think I may have gotten as far as photocopying my issues in an attempt to cut it up and try and rearrange it. I don't think I ever followed through with the project for one reason or another but I was convinced I could do it at the time.
    I thoroughly agree. Would have loved to have read the fruits of your labor.

I considered Rip In Time for my list but decided on a color Corben work and didn't want to overdo it with Corben stuff, which I could easily do
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

Modus omnibus in rebus Roquefort Raider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shaxper View Post
    Agreed, and you really don't want me to go on one of my rants about all that was wrong with Year One

I DO appreciate the more inclusive approach in Untold Legend, but I think it's paced poorly. The heart of the first issue is the origin story, not the framing device, and so, when the origin story is thematically resolved by the close, it feels odd that there's still more to tell, and Robin's story just doesn't capture his psyche and soul the way that Batman's did.
    I only read issues 2 and 3 of "Untold Legend", but I liked them a lot (and I was by no mean a DC fan in those days). It was indeed an inclusive and very positive introduction the the world of Batman. The only problem I had with it is how it described Barbara Gordon as having "a brown belt in the martial arts". First it doesn't mean anything (the "martial arts"? what "martial arts"?), and second it's as if DC wanted to keep Babs in the Junior League or something. Women's Lib, dammit!
    People in white coats (science cartoons, updated daily) | Art Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Red Oak Kid View Post
    #11. The Twilight Avenger 1-8 Eternity Comics

I don't own any issues from this series. This character began in a projected 4 issue mini series from Elite Comics but only the first two issues were published, which I have copies of. TA was a reluctant hero who existed in 1930s Oklahoma. The concept is similar to the Rocketeer and is a comic book version of an old Saturday matinee serial. He was created by Terry Tidwell and John Wooley. I liked it for the 1930s setting and they did a good job of illustrating the era and Oklahoma local.

I picked up #1 of this series last month in a $1 Bargain Bin. I will have to read it now!

Quote Originally Posted by Roquefort Raider View Post
    The only problem I had with it is how it described Barbara Gordon as having "a brown belt in the martial arts". First it doesn't mean anything (the "martial arts"? what "martial arts"?), and second it's as if DC wanted to keep Babs in the Junior League or something. Women's Lib, dammit!
    IIRC, when Barbara was first introduced, they specified that her brown belt was in judo. But yeah, by the 1980s you'd think they'd let her advance in rank a little.
    -JKC-
    Glorianna - Barbarian adventure! New page every Friday!

Random thoughts about day two.

Ear comes in from deep left field. Which is cool.

Bat Lash was on my extended list. And could take the place of the disallowed Chase or Chronos. Though I may save those spots for more obscure books. Mine are definitely in no order at this point.

I need to re-read The Creeper. And Foolkiller. And Sx From Sirius. And....

The first two issues of The Scorpion are solid gold.

I need to look for Ralph Snart Adventures.

I love G.S. Avengers # 1.

It's been eons since I've read Untold Legends of Batman. But I liked it at the time.

Twilight Avenger looks right up my alley.

Twilight Avenger sounds like my kind of book, but I'd not heard of it before. I've just purchased an almost complete run on ebay.

Just reminded I missed my post on this thread. Doh!

11. The Green Hornet (1967) #1-3

I have to explain this a bit. #1 was the first comic I ever owned. I got it as a hand-me down from my older brother. I always loved the Bruce Lee photo cover on that issue. The knife in the door is awesome too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TheGreenHornet1.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	105772

Quote Originally Posted by AZBarbarian View Post
    Just reminded I missed my post on this thread. Doh!

11. The Green Hornet (1967) #1-3

I have to explain this a bit. #1 was the first comic I ever owned. I got it as a hand-me down from my older brother. I always loved the Bruce Lee photo cover on that issue. The knife in the door is awesome too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TheGreenHornet1.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	105772
    Between the 3 of us we had all 3 issues. I got nos. 2 and 3 back in 1967, new, at Mrs. Ryan's drugstore. GREEN HORNET 2 was probably the 13th comic I ever bought new. Both issues were treasured items (and the worse for wear as a result). It was between this and another comic for my list--and the other comic won--

edit:--that was Gold Key's ZORRO. I didn't know it was reprinting Dell's Zorro, at the time. As far as I knew the Zorro TV show, which was in syndication back in 66/67, was an all new show. That starred Guy WILLIAMS--"The Green Hornet" starred Van WILLIAMS. I thought they were brothers. But of the two, Guy Williams was by far my favourite super-hero actor (and still is)--so given a choice between them--I had to pick ZORRO.

Paul Newman (not the actor--the comic book writer) and Dan Spiegle did Gold Key's GREEN HORNET comics. Also nice photos of the actors on the cover, back cover, and inside cover--and pictures of Black Beauty and the gas gun on feature pages inside.
    Last edited by An Ear In The Fireplace; 12-17-2012 at 06:53 AM.

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

My inability to come up with a Gold Key title for my list saddens me. Maybe I should go dig my copies of The Invaders & give 'em a read ...
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Quote Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
    #11. Cages, by Dave McKean
    I never thought of this as not-a-collected edition. This SHOULD have been on my list. It's one of my three-or-so favorite comics in terms of pure drawing.

Quote Originally Posted by MWGallaher
    Foolkiller #1-10
    Annnnd this one would have been, like, # 3 on my list if I had considered it. Gerber's my all time favorite scripter, and this is my favorite completed work 'a his.
    MarkAndrew at Comics Should Be Good
    All my life, my Great Dream has been to grow a triangular head - Roy Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by DubipR View Post
    This was dropped at the last minute on my list. I love this series....nice to see it on here MRP!
    Yep. Same here. I sort of regret it now. Frank Thorne also did a couple of really really nice Red Sonja short in Savage Sword of Conan 23 and 29.

Quote Originally Posted by Reptisaurus! View Post
    A little less intellectual today...

Rip In Time 1-5. Bruce Jones writer, Richard Corben Artist. Fantagor Press(???) 1986.

Here's another one I haven't read in a couple years... And I've never sat down and read all the issues in the correct sequence. So thank you overly detailed Wikipedia page! Although this shouldn't be a huge surprise, given my well documented love of giant lizard types in general and dinosaurs in particular.

Basically, this whole she-bang is an excuse for Richard Corben to draw things that Richard Corben likes to draw: 1) Tremendous not-particularly anatomically correct dinosaurs, all saliva dripping from their mouths. 2) Technology so alien that it's almost indistinguishable from magic. 3) Lush, mysterious Burroghsian Jungles, and 4) Breasts.

But here's the strange part - The story is surprisingly good. When yer main characters name is "Rip" and your next-to-main character is supporting a pair of knockers that are off the alphabetical scale you don't expect an unpredictable plot, or an ending that kind of sort of makes sense (despite being a time travel story) and you sure don't expect decent characterization - Even from the non-human members of the cast! What really makes this story work for me is that Corben draws his dinos with a kind of stately dignity...

Attachment 105749

At least when they're not trying to devour the crap out of the tasty, tasty humans. Yum!

Nice pick Repti. I would have thrown my lot in with Corben's Bigfoot, but it arrived in the world too late to qualify.