Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Speaking of "J. J. Birch" does anyone else remember when he was Joe Brozowski--doing FIRESTORM--then he changed his style and adopted the pen name J. J. Birch. I liked both artists.

Quote Originally Posted by MWGallaher View Post
    11. Foolkiller #1-10 by Steve Gerber, JJ Birch with Tony DeZuniga and Vince Giarrano, 1990-1991

Foolkiller
    Okay, how'd you get access to my list? Is this because I was storing it on my iPhone's Notes app? First Shade, now this...
    Anyway, it is cool for you to acquire acrimony of crumbling time on blast this website.
    --best spam ever

11. The Scorpion
    (3 issues, 1975)
    One of the better efforts from the short-lived Atlas/Seaboard line, a pulpy 1930s adventure stylishly written and drawn by Howard Chaykin. For the first two issues, immortal soldier-of-fortune Moro Frost, aka the Scorpion, battled crooks and zombies in classic noir style (with a touch of Chaykin's trademark sardonic wit). Bizarrely, the third issue featured a completely different creative team, and transformed the character into a modern-day spandex-clad superhero. Even more bizarrely, Chaykin lifted the character and concept wholesale and recycled it as "Dominic Fortune" over at Marvel (albeit with an even more satirical bent). But those first two issues stand out as something uniquely cool, and a teasing promise of what might have been, had Atlas been around for the long haul.
    -JKC-
    Glorianna - Barbarian adventure! New page every Friday!

Both Bat Lash and The Scorpion came perilously close to being on my list. The Scorpion probably only didn't make it because the last issue was an abomination.

Batman : Sword of Azrael came out in 1992. One of the big trends of the 90's was handing off iconic characters identities to newbies. When I first heard about this character, that's kind of what I thought this was and I wasn't interested. However, I later picked it up on good things I'd heard and loved it.

Azrael is an avenging angel persona that's been cultivated from birth by the Order of St Dumas, a cult. I love it. Jean-Paul Valley is the current Azrael and finds out his father was also an Azrael. Azrael defeats Batman in combat, setting the tone for the upcoming Knightfall saga, where Jean-Paul actually replaces Bruce in the Batman costume for a short time.

The writing is by Denny O'Neil, no stranger to the Batman mythos, and it captures sort of the same grand epic flavor of the Ra's al Ghul saga from the 70's. The art is by penciler Joe Quesada (pre-Marvel EiC) with inks by the incredible Kevin Nowlan.

Azrael is off the radar in the Nu52 for the time being, but I'm sure we'll see him again. Nonetheless, this is a great self-contained little read. An ongoing spun out of this that ran 100 issues, plus the 1M issue, and an annual, and recently came back for a short time with another person donning the title.
    I am what I am and that's all what I am

#11 - Aztek, The Ultimate Man #1-10 by Grant Morrison and Mark Millar and N. Steven Harris (DC, 1996-1997)

Leave it to Morrison and Millar to write a 10-issue series with a lot more in store than just your standard, man-in-tights epic. Nope, they go way deeper, riding the dark and winding roads of the superhero psyche. In doing so, they recreate and proceed to destroy the appeal of Silver Age heroes...and Aztek, The Ultimate Man was their vehicle.

The stage is set in Vanity City, where Aztek arrives to stop the coming of the Shadow God, the enemy of his secret organization the Q Society. But while he waits, there are plenty of interesting villains to handle. We have The Piper and Bloodtype brawl to the death in #1, leading Death Doll on a rampage in #3, The Lizard King arrives in #4 and proceeds to torture people (in ways you won't believe) just to get to Aztek. A truely insane Joker comes to town in issue #6. And lastly, the deadly Parasite gives him a run for his money in #9. Aztek is so up to his knees with bad guys in this series, he just hands a few muggers a wad of money in one issue.

Ultimately, Aztek joins up with JLA in the last issue, after they are impressed with how he handled the Joker and Parasite. But nothing is ever as it seems with Morrison and Millar at the helm, and some surprises are in store for Aztek in his new role. Sadly, I lost track of the character after that point and have no idea where he exists within the DC universe at this time. What a great run though.

The Aztek series was way ahead of it's time, and you can see glimpses of future megahits such as Kick-Ass here and there. It remains my favorite comic of the 90's and the only one from that decade on my list.

Last edited by B.A.L.; 12-14-2012 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Gravity View Post
    #11 - Aztek, The Ultimate Man #1-10 by Grant Morrison and Mark Millar and N. Steven Harris (DC, 1996-1997)
    Good one. This will be my #10 tomorrow.
    "If you live among wolves you have to act like a wolf."

Hulk #1 -6

Our introduction to Robert Bruce Banner and his chartreuse id, only he started out grey instead. When i first got a copy of #1, i was stunned to see this anomaly. And to see an early Marvel comic shuffled off so quick after introduction, well, there's always guest-appearances. Kirby and Ditko (loved the Metal Master!) giving it their all for naught. Sigh... so the Rick Jones fan club never got off the ground then...
    My Multiverse had a Crisis, and all i got was a lousy Reboot!

"When the f*ck did we get Ice Cream?"
    Wendell, The Ringer

"After a while, I was able to use the squirrel to break down the door..."
    Granny Puckett, Hoodwinked

=====================

"DONT TALK $H!T ABOUT TOTAL!!!!"
    TOURETTES GUY

Modus omnibus in rebus Roquefort Raider's Avatar

Say, that Mysteries weird and strange is both a total surprise and a pretty good-looking book! I'd have been happy to buy Canadian, given the opportunity!

Meanwhile...

A devotee of Marvel comics' version of Robert E, Howard's Conan, in the late 70s I had as one of my most prized possession the Marvel Comics Conan Index, the one with the great red Tim Conrad cover. Sort of a paper precursor to the GCD, this volume had shown me images of comics I would only dream about (and dream a lot about!) for many, many years. In there were the covers to a short-lived B&W sister mag to Savage Sword of Conan, my choice for #11...

Kull and the barbarians #1-3

Three great covers by Michael Whelan, with material that includes a rare (at the time) reprint of the story that preceded Kull the conqueror #3, and that was published in a monster mag; a lovely Solomon Kane two-parter with art by Neal Adams and Alan Lee Weis, Red Sonja by Chaykin, Blackmark by Gil kane... It may not have sold as much as Savage sword, but it was a very nice series indeed.
    People in white coats (science cartoons, updated daily) | Art Blog

My day 2 pick would have been #1 twenty years ago, off the list 10 years and today sneaks in at #11. Watchmen. The end of the superhero genre. For years I thought it was great. For years I thought it was cynical and how dare Alan Moore skewer my men-in-tights... But lately, as my comics reading mostly consists of 1955-1990 Watchmen kind of works for me as the last superhero story. It can never be as good as its myth suggests and looks like a staggering work of genius compared to the trade-paperback fodder produced these days.

Now where are my old copies of the Avengers-Defenders war?

#11 - Rima, the Jungle Girl #1 - 7 (DC, 1974-1975)

No deep reasons for nominating this title. It is simply one of the most beautifully illustrated comics runs I own. The first four issues are an adaptation of the novel Green Mansions and the remaining issues are standard Tarzan-style jungle opera (which is a genre that appeals to me). But the entire run has gorgeous Joe Kubert covers and lush Nestor Redondo interiors.

Never collected as far as I know.

11. Hercules Prince of Power v.2
    Writer : Bob Layton Artist : Bob Layton

In 1982 Bob Layton ,of Ironman fame got the chance to write AND Draw his own book. It was the Hercules Prince of power 4 issue mini series. The story was set in the future where Hercules finds himself exiled by Zeus to outer space. You might have heard of the 4th issue Infamous for a drunken Galactus.

My pick for today is the follow up that came out in 1984. It was, also, a 4 issue series and The main story centers around Zeus killing off all the Olympians. Each issue has its own story Highlighted by a future Redwolf, A group of Thanos worshippers who rob Mar-vells grave and Appearances by Mentor and Eros . I enjoyed the comic relief supplied by a recorder and a Skrull and It stands out for me as worthy of making my top 12.

Hercules "meets " the Skrull

Acolyte Of Thanos

Life is what you make it.

Quote Originally Posted by foxley View Post
    #11 - Rima, the Jungle Girl #1 - 7 (DC, 1974-1975)

No deep reasons for nominating this title. It is simply one of the most beautifully illustrated comics runs I own. The first four issues are an adaptation of the novel Green Mansions and the remaining issues are standard Tarzan-style jungle opera (which is a genre that appeals to me). But the entire run has gorgeous Joe Kubert covers and lush Nestor Redondo interiors.

Never collected as far as I know.
    My honest hope is that many of the runs on our lists will be collected. Of all the comics not collected, RIMA is most deserving. They did publish THE BIBLE which Nestor and Joe did together--so it is possible and there can't be an issue with the rights, because Green Mansions is in the public domain.

Quote Originally Posted by icctrombone View Post
    11. Hercules Prince of Power v.2
    Writer : Bob Layton Artist : Bob Layton

In 1982 Bob Layton ,of Ironman fame got the chance to write AND Draw his own book. It was the Hercules Prince of power 4 issue mini series. The story was set in the future where Hercules finds himself exiled by Zeus to outer space. You might have heard of the 4th issue Infamous for a drunken Galactus.

My pick for today is the follow up that came out in 1984. It was, also, a 4 issue series and The main story centers around Zeus killing off all the Olympians. Each issue has its own story Highlighted by a future Redwolf, A group of Thanos worshippers who rob Mar-vells grave and Appearances by Mentor and Eros . I enjoyed the comic relief supplied by a recorder and a Skrull and It stands out for me as worthy of making my top 12.

Hercules "meets " the Skrull
    One of the first titles that came into my head when this year's challenge was announced--either this mini or the one before it, although this one seemed to be the better of the two. If I had had room for a Marvel title on my list, this would have been a definite contender. I was hoping someone else would pick it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron King View Post
    11. E-Man 1-10 (October 1973-September 1975)

I think I've picked this for a different CCC, and I think other people will pick it.
    You're right - someone else picked it!

Charlton didn't do any superhero books when I started picking up their comics, so I was surprised when they launched one, and then I was surprised again because it was so good! Nicola Cuti and Joe Staton were true comics fans, and their enthusiasm shined thru every page. It was real superhero adventure, but light-hearted in a way that was rare then and rarer now. This is a comic that's fun to read.

Notes: Doomsday+1 also made my initial list, as did Vengeance Squad, but I decided to let E-Man represent the 70s Charlton books. Marvel's Fantasy Masterpieces was also a possibility for me, but unlike Cei-U!, I loved the first two issues and was underwhelmed by the 40s superhero reprints - they just looked odd to me. I also considered Rima, but chose another 70s DC title to represent that group. Likewise, I liked Kull and the Barbarians and the Red Sonja version of Marvel Feature, but other titles will represent the sword & sorcery group.

Also, I've expanded my post from yesterday. I'd intended to do it before logging off, but got distracted.
    Last edited by Rob Allen; 12-14-2012 at 05:20 PM.
    --
    Rob Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
    You're right - someone else picked it!
    Some people on here have very good taste.