Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Solo is not the end all be all. Constantine has more solo issues then all X-men except Wolverine. Does that mean he is more popular then Cyclops, Storm, etc. Hell no.

As for movies so did Steel. Heck Blade has 3.
    Black History Month & 29 Days in February

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Kent View Post
    You're serious about Zatanna being more popular than Constantine? Constantine is pretty much DC's magic version of Batman right now in terms of usage across the line. He had a title lasting 300 issues and one upcoming book that I would be willing to bet will sell better than Zatanna ever was. He had a solo movie.
    He is more popular.
    It is worth remembering his book was only selling something like 10-15k a month, so while the book has been around for a long time, hardly anyone read it in comparison to one of the main DC books.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    It is worth remembering his book was only selling something like 10-15k a month, so while the book has been around for a long time, hardly anyone read it in comparison to one of the main DC books.
    You're also talking about a Vertigo book, not a DCU book. How was Zatanna selling pre-New 52? I might be wrong, but I don't think it was selling much better.
    C'mon, are you people serious? This is Constantine! He is the most popular character in the book without any question. You don't have to like Zatanna any less to admit that's true.

Funny this "Who is more popular" thread. Here my two cents. Both Zee and Constantine are well known characters among comic readers, obviously way more among DC readers. Out of comics, it's really difficult to find people knowing any of them. When I'm explaining to non-comic related people the characters I'm drawing, I have a hard time reminding Keanu Reeves did a Constantine movie, or Zee is that pretty magician-superhero from Justice League cartoons. Really, they're not that popular. But I'd say Zee is a bit more popular, since I'm almost sure than every Constantine reader is aware who Zatanna is, but I wouldn't say the same for every reader of Zatanna (I'm referring not only her solo series, but Justice League, Seven Soldiers, and any book where she has been). Just my opinion, folks. :)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mikeljanin View Post
    Funny this "Who is more popular" thread. Here my two cents. Both Zee and Constantine are well known characters among comic readers, obviously way more among DC readers. Out of comics, it's really difficult to find people knowing any of them. When I'm explaining to non-comic related people the characters I'm drawing, I have a hard time reminding Keanu Reeves did a Constantine movie, or Zee is that pretty magician-superhero from Justice League cartoons. Really, they're not that popular. But I'd say Zee is a bit more popular, since I'm almost sure than every Constantine reader is aware who Zatanna is, but I wouldn't say the same for every reader of Zatanna (I'm referring not only her solo series, but Justice League, Seven Soldiers, and any book where she has been). Just my opinion, folks. :)
    Thanks Mikel for the perspective :)

(Side note: Zatanna did appear in Smallville if I am not mistaken)

BANNED

You're also talking about a Vertigo book, not a DCU book. How was Zatanna selling pre-New 52? I might be wrong, but I don't think it was selling much better.
    C'mon, are you people serious? This is Constantine! He is the most popular character in the book without any question. You don't have to like Zatanna any less to admit that's true.
    Yeah I honestly didn't think this was debateable.

Is it safe to come back?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Yeah I honestly didn't think this was debateable.
    You do realize to non-comic readers Vertigo translates best to Obscure.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    You do realize to non-comic readers Vertigo translates best to Obscure.
    So does DC Comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman4 View Post
    Getting rid of Zatanna huh? Seems pretty stupid to get rid of the titles most well known and arguably most popular character. Maybe DC has plans for her in another comic after Trinity War.
    Yeah It seems really dumb...especially since Zatanna was removed from the cast of Young Justice(cartoon)after only a few episodes i was hoping she'd still get some focus in JLD But Apparently not
    Pull: ASM MS.M Punisher SS AT MLP: FIM MLP: FF ANGR ANU UFF Loki

https://www.facebook.com/UltimateFF2014 (Unofficial Ultimate FF Page)

BANNED

So does DC Comics.
    Eh...What?

Yeah absurd DC is known to even non comic book readers.
    Black History Month & 29 Days in February

Master of Time and Space Xarcon's Avatar

That's all anecdote and conjecture. It's hardly more tangible evidence than the success of an ongoing series.
    To a certain extent, but not completely. Constantine had a long-running, mostly well-received solo series. He also had a movie that...well, can we even consider that the same character? For comic book readers, I'm sure that translates to a fair amount of recognizability. For non-readers, though, I don't see how many of them would be aware of the solo series...because they don't read comics at all.

Zatanna, on the other hand, in addition to a solo series or two, some minis, and various guest appearances in comics, has been in: 12 episodes of Young Justice; 8 episodes of assorted DCAU series; and two episodes of Smallville. Admittedly, that's not a lot when it comes to non-readers, but I'd say it's enough to give her the advantage over Constantine. Bear in mind, though, that I'm not saying that Zatanna does have a high degree of recognizability, just that, in terms of non-readers, whatever level of recognizability she does have is probably higher than Constantine's. However, in terms of comic book readers, I'd say they're about equal in terms of recognizability.

Now, if you want to argue about popularity, then I've got nothing. I don't know how we could even determine that. It's not exactly like comparing the popularity of, say, Wolverine and Ogilvy.

As for Invincible and Gambit, Gambit was a main character in the wildly popular and successful X-Men: The Animated Series. For non-readers, that right there most assuredly proves that Gambit is more recognizable than Invincible. Gambit even popped up in a few Spider-Man: The Animated Series, X-Men: Evolution, and Wolverine & the X-Men episodes. When you factor in Gambit's comic book presence, I have a really hard time believing that Invincible is more recognizable among readers.

Again, that's to say nothing of popularity. I'd wager that Gambit is more popular among readers, and certainly among non-readers (if only by default), but I don't see how we could prove that.

You're serious about Zatanna being more popular than Constantine? Constantine is pretty much DC's magic version of Batman right now in terms of usage across the line. He had a title lasting 300 issues and one upcoming book that I would be willing to bet will sell better than Zatanna ever was. He had a solo movie.
    He is more popular.
    Is that referring to my post? Because I was definitely talking about recognizability, not popularity. Despite what DC may believe, they are not the same thing.
    I'm still waiting for a new Wonder Twins ongoing. Let's make it happen, DC.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Xarcon View Post
    Is that referring to my post? Because I was definitely talking about recognizability, not popularity. Despite what DC may believe, they are not the same thing.
    I think it's true for both and Constantine will only get more populare with all the exposure he's getting.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Xarcon View Post
    To a certain extent, but not completely. Constantine had a long-running, mostly well-received solo series. He also had a movie that...well, can we even consider that the same character? For comic book readers, I'm sure that translates to a fair amount of recognizability. For non-readers, though, I don't see how many of them would be aware of the solo series...because they don't read comics at all.
    I would say it is completely.

I'm not really bothering with what non comics readers because nobody here knows that. I'm sick to death of how people here always do this "Hey go ask the random people on the street and you get this answer." It's so arbitrary and meaningless. Not to mention, non readers are kind of irrelevant in this context.

Zatanna, on the other hand, in addition to a solo series or two, some minis, and various guest appearances in comics, has been in: 12 episodes of Young Justice; 8 episodes of assorted DCAU series; and two episodes of Smallville. Admittedly, that's not a lot when it comes to non-readers, but I'd say it's enough to give her the advantage over Constantine. Bear in mind, though, that I'm not saying that Zatanna does have a high degree of recognizability, just that, in terms of non-readers, whatever level of recognizability she does have is probably higher than Constantine's. However, in terms of comic book readers, I'd say they're about equal in terms of recognizability.
    Yeah again we don't know how many people watch animation in the first place. Certainly not as many as movie goers. Otherwise, these cartoons wouldn't have to rely on toy sales to stay on the air. Even Smallville's ratings had sunken down the drain by the time Zatanna showed up.

Now, if you want to argue about popularity, then I've got nothing. I don't know how we could even determine that. It's not exactly like comparing the popularity of, say, Wolverine and Ogilvy.
    This all started with me responding to Robotman who said Zatanna is the most popular character on the team, so that is where I'm going.