Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Grant Morrison recommendations.

Can anyone recommend me their one to four favorite Grant Morrison works?

Batman and Robin
    Doom Patrol
    New X-Men
    Batman Inc

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

only 1-4?!?! I actually don't mind that - a good challenge and 4 is my 2nd favorite number! I'd go...(no specific order):

New X-Men
    Animal Man
    Seven Soldiers of Victory
    Seaguy

Note - I have not read Invisibles, Flex Mentallo, or Doom Patrol. And I would've mentioned anything Batman, but his run ain't done yet!
    Comics were happier before the Internet turned writing superhero stories into fruitless attempts to impress/entertain a small group of ppl who appear to hate comics and their creators.
    Grant Morrison

1. Animal Man-The first Morrison I ever read and the first I fell in love with. To me it will always Iepitomize his work and its just a classic story that can be reread over and over again and still be fresh
    2. Seven Soldiers of Victory-Such a dense, complex but fun read. I read it three times in a row when I first got it and fell in love with it. Plus it's got some of the best artists in the biz working on it
    3. JLA-This is mostly if you want grand-scale, epic super-team heroics. It's got so many classic character moments and stories and gosh it's just so much fun
    4. The Invisibles-I read this sober first and enjoyed it even then but then I read it on acid (well I think I did) and it just made even more sense to me then.

BONUS:
    Doom Patrol-This is a must have and it's really trippy and sophisticated and unique and however else you can descrbe morrison

I'm the only one I think who finds his Batman (except for Arkham Asylum, Batman and Robin, and Inc.) garbage. I don't recommend his main batman run stuff

1. Invisibles - best thing he's ever done, imo, and probably his most personal work.

2. New X-Men - first (and last) writer post-Claremont to advance the series' core concepts in a meaningful way.

3. Seven Soldiers of Victory - Just liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyN831 View Post
    Can anyone recommend me their one to four favorite Grant Morrison works?
    Depends on how out there you want to get. His really layered, experimental work?

1. Doom Patrol
    2. The Filth
    3. Invisibles
    4. Flex Mentallo

Special nod to Kill Your Boyfriend, Seaguy, and the New Adventures of Hitler.

His more straightforward work?

1. Animal Man
    2. Batman (all of it)
    3. Seven Soldiers
    4. All Star Superman

Special nod to Final Crisis, JLA and Marvel Boy.

I personally prefer my experimental list, my combined top 10 looking like...

1. Doom Patrol
    2. The Filth
    3. The Invisibles
    4. Flex
    5. Animal Man
    6. Batman
    7. Seven Soldiers
    8. Kill Your Boyfriend
    9. All Star Superman
    10. Final Crisis
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

The Invisibles
    dOOM pATROL
    The Filth
    Zenith

Almost all of it is worth looking into, though.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by stk View Post
    1. Invisibles - best thing he's ever done, imo, and probably his most personal work.

2. New X-Men - first (and last) writer post-Claremont to advance the series' core concepts in a meaningful way.

3. Seven Soldiers of Victory - Just liked it.
    Yeah I second those three, and since the OP asks for four, add Animal Man.

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

Doom Patrol
    Zenith
    The Filth
    Animal Man
    New X-Men

Also, @ Fanboy, saw your post on the Classic thread about Krutzman and I read the story you posted and the story after it (Air Bubbles I think). I agree with you that they're powerful stories but they get emotionally get pushed down by the unnecessary narration.

When the husband/father is building his house, the narration just kills it. I know what he's doing, just let the drawing do the talking. Not only that, narration gets very cliche with its language.

Air Bubble is definitely one where the visual and emotional rawness of the story got killed because of it. Instead of letting the drawings do the work, (and that action scene where he drowns the man... Powerful) Kurtzman's scene-by-scene narration kills that moment and the afterwards. I will say I enjoyed how the story just goes back in itself. Also enjoyed the last caption, where Kurtzman beautifully juxtaposes the corpse with the marvelous Korean landscape.
    Last edited by Johnny P. Sartre; 12-16-2012 at 10:17 PM.
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

Animal Man (if you can look past the, to put it bluntly, grossly substandard art)
    We3
    Flex Mentallo
    All Star Superman
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

Also, if you want to read a more heartfelt work and something that isn't on such a grand scale, in either/both length and concept, I'd highly recommend We3.

agh, Spike-X beat me to it!
    Comics were happier before the Internet turned writing superhero stories into fruitless attempts to impress/entertain a small group of ppl who appear to hate comics and their creators.
    Grant Morrison

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Top 5:

The Invisibles
    The Filth
    Doom Patrol
    All Star Superman
    Flex Mentallo

Top Five of the Moment:

The Invisibles
    Mystery Play
    JLA
    Marvel Boy
    The Filth

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cheesesteak View Post
    Also, if you want to read a more heartfelt work and something that isn't on such a grand scale, in either/both length and concept, I'd highly recommend We3.

agh, Spike-X beat me to it!
    I was surprised no-one mentioned it before me, actually.
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    I was surprised no-one mentioned it before me, actually.
    hah, I was going to say the same thing. then I kept thinking whether or not it does make sense that no one had mentioned it yet...(I had my reply box up for a while, hence the gap between our posts but me still being surprised you mentioned it first lol).
    Grant Morrison