NEW VALIANT blog is up! Manga4life's Avatar

Default The Black Bat lands at Dynamite in 2013!

This looks cool, can't wait!
    BUY ALL STAR WESTERN BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!

TOP TEN PULLS:ACTION, AQUAMAN, AS WESTERN, BATMAN, CAPTAIN AMERICA, FATALE, FF, JL, SUPERMAN, VELVET

I'm definitely intrigued . . . is he going to make it into Masks at all?
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I'm definitely intrigued . . . is he going to make it into Masks at all?
    He already has, he just wasn't in costume yet. :)

Can't wait!

So, basically he's Batman before Batman, and Doc Midnite and Two-Face as well, and has elements of Daredevil...

I wonder if that's the record for number of other characters based on another?
    Try my Blog!

And visit me on Facebook here!

Quote Originally Posted by Manga4life View Post
    SIGH!

When will these people get it that we don't want their take on these characters. We don't want the "Dynamite Black Bat" or the "Moonstone Black Bat", but the original character. If you can't be true to the character, please go create an original character.

He has made several alterations to the character that aren't needed. They got the outfit wrong, his background wrong, and much else.

Again, if you want to get the REAL Black Bat, go read the original stories OR the new stories that are respectful of the source material.

For those that care:

Altus Press's books

Black Bat Omnibus v1 (first 3 stories, and v2 is promised for next year): http://www.amazon.com/Black-Bat-Omni...ords=black+bat

Black Bat Companion (THE reference on the BB): http://www.amazon.com/Black-Bat-Comp...ords=black+bat

Airship 27. New collections of Black Bat stories

Black Bat Mysteries v1: http://www.amazon.com/Black-Bat-Myst...ords=black+bat

Black Bat Mysteries v2: http://www.amazon.com/Black-Bat-Myst...ords=black+bat

Quote Originally Posted by emb021 View Post
    SIGH!

When will these people get it that we don't want their take on these characters. We don't want the "Dynamite Black Bat" or the "Moonstone Black Bat", but the original character. If you can't be true to the character, please go create an original character.

He has made several alterations to the character that aren't needed. They got the outfit wrong, his background wrong, and much else.

Again, if you want to get the REAL Black Bat, go read the original stories OR the new stories that are respectful of the source material.
    It seems closer than their other pulp characters as well as Moonstone's take, so I'm willing to at least sample the first issue. Sounds like a Hollywood writer though... we got to do the origin story and it has to be one of redemption!

The article is very disingenuous though. The Black Bat created in 1933 IS NOT this Black Bat and did not run around in a cape and mask. He was an otherwised un-named detective looking for a criminal for reasons unknown, but solved other mysteries along the way. Good stories rife with untapped potential.

The costumed Black Bat was not created years before Batman but debuted almost simultaneously. Both had scalloped capes and the Black Bat first sported the three fins along his fore arm, though in his case it appeared to be on his sleeve and not long gloves. The closeness of their debut resulted in a little sabre-rattling but decided that was probably coincidental and the two companies agreed not to prosecute as long as the company didn't take the character to the comics. They kept the bargain mostly, changing the character into the Mask for the comics (originally with an owl instead of a bat motif but apparently that was still a little too on the money). DC also copied the pulp character rather shamelessly. Batman soon sported the fins on his gloves, and the Black Bat's origin was the basis for Dr. Mid-nite AND Two-Face.

There was no sense of moral debt or qualms about the whats and whys of what he was doing.

I like that Dynamite puts their spin on these classic characters, it make it different enough that it feels like something of their own but its still close to the original to make it feel nostalgic. Also, who knows if Dynamite has to make it a tad different because of laws involved or something along those lines. Either which way color me excited for The Black Bat coming to Dynamite!

Have to headscratch at the comment that he finds unbelievable the idea that a crook smuggles in a vial of acid and uses it to scar and blind the young crusading DA. But, not apparently, the idea that he'd follow a female stranger to get a top secret eye transplant with the eyes of her dead father, that it not only restores his sight but allows him to see in the dark. Does he return to fight crime in the courtroom? No. He chooses to then put on a costume and become a vigilante, shooting it out with criminals, while pretending he's still blind in his alter-ego. The way he's blinded is the one part of the origin that seems the most plausible, not the least! I obviously have a different grip on reality than the writer.

I like that Dynamite puts their spin on these classic characters, it make it different enough that it feels like something of their own but its still close to the original to make it feel nostalgic. Also, who knows if Dynamite has to make it a tad different because of laws involved or something along those lines. Either which way color me excited for The Black Bat coming to Dynamite!
    I agree. I've no problem with Dynamite putting their spin on these characters, and I look forward to what they've got planned.

I love Buccellato's work on Flash, so this is an automatic pick up!!

The Black Bat is public domain.

This is how it is that several writers and publishers can put out Black Bat stories.

But I find it interesting that the writers creating new prose Black Bat stories try to stay true to the original, but comic book writers feel that need to make major changes...