Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by wagthedog View Post
    Many of your examples are of the 'puns', and if that is much of the humor that people are getting out of the books, then I stand corrected. Not that I think the puns have been funny, more of the groan inducing variety for me, but if that is what people are getting out of it, so be it.
    No, most of her puns are terrible. That's why I like it. It's a character quirk - one I would've never expected to see in Diana, but now that it's there I find it quite delightful.

Quote Originally Posted by swatkat View Post
    No, most of her puns are terrible. That's why I like it. It's a character quirk - one I would've never expected to see in Diana, but now that it's there I find it quite delightful.

The problem with your statement is that most of the puns are coming from the Gods. Diana has only 'punned' 2 or 3 times as I recall. Besides, with all the dopey puns that Azz puts in the comic, doesn't it lessen the effect when most of the people in her surrounding cast use them?

The problem with your statement is that most of the puns are coming from the Gods. Diana has only 'punned' 2 or 3 times as I recall. Besides, with all the dopey puns that Azz puts in the comic, doesn't it lessen the effect when most of the people in her surrounding cast use them?
    You're right that most of it is from the gods, but the few times Diana has done it, it has struck a chord with me because it is so un-Dianalike, in some ways. I read it as a trait she has derived from her divine family, and somehow it amuses me greatly that Wonder Woman has a propensity for bad puns. It makes her feel very real, somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by swatkat View Post
    You're right that most of it is from the gods, but the few times Diana has done it, it has struck a chord with me because it is so un-Dianalike, in some ways. I read it as a trait she has derived from her divine family, and somehow it amuses me greatly that Wonder Woman has a propensity for bad puns. It makes her feel very real, somehow.
    I can see your point, but bad puns are bad puns

Veteran Member

I can see your point, but bad puns are bad puns
    The only one by Wonder Woman I thought was really bad was "Meat? Meet an Amazon." Part of me didn't like it because it seemed like such an unlike thought process: meat-->meet-->Amazon? On the other hand, I liked that the line showed that she continued to be proud to be an Amazon, despite everything.

Her pun on Stife's "trying" in #4 was pretty good, I thought--less random, more of a natural thought process, and more pointed. I can see Diana as someone who tries so hard to control herself, yet is so passionate, that when she gets really mad, it sometimes comes out as a little acerbic quip like that.

Strife's puns are the best, I think--especially "split happens" and the one about their family members being "against" each other in two senses of the word. They're just full of her non-chalalant yet edgy personality.

The worst puns are Apollo's, which has always made sense to me--narcissist that he is, he thinks everything he says is oh-so-clever, even when it's pretty dumb.

It sort of makes sense to me that the Olympians play or words a lot--they've been around so long, probably with so much leisure, that they're probably pretty bored, so that they habitually try to amuse themselves, even by the way they talk. This could do for some of the older Amazons too, so wordplay could have seeped into the culture in which Diana was raised.

Plus, Azz just likes puns. :)

Quote Originally Posted by slvn View Post
    The only one by Wonder Woman I thought was really bad was "Meat? Meet an Amazon." Part of me didn't like it because it seemed like such an unlike thought process: meat-->meet-->Amazon? On the other hand, I liked that the line showed that she continued to be proud to be an Amazon, despite everything.

Her pun on Stife's "trying" in #4 was pretty good, I thought--less random, more of a natural thought process, and more pointed. I can see Diana as someone who tries so hard to control herself, yet is so passionate, that when she gets really mad, it sometimes comes out as a little acerbic quip like that.

Strife's puns are the best, I think--especially "split happens" and the one about their family members being "against" each other in two senses of the word. They're just full of her non-chalalant yet edgy personality.

The worst puns are Apollo's, which has always made sense to me--narcissist that he is, he thinks everything he says is oh-so-clever, even when it's pretty dumb.

It sort of makes sense to me that the Olympians play or words a lot--they've been around so long, probably with so much leisure, that they're probably pretty bored, so that they habitually try to amuse themselves, even by the way they talk. This could do for some of the older Amazons too, so wordplay could have seeped into the culture in which Diana was raised.

Plus, Azz just likes puns. :)
    I guess the domain of puns, as far as I imagine them, would be to Piers Anthony and his Xanth series. I really got a kick out of them reading them as a kid, but all these puns that Azz interjects in the Wonder Woman comic does not present itself with the same sort of nostalgia. It is more off putting, as in characters trying to 'out-pun' one another.