Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by theflyingfrogunderdog View Post
    Wish they'd come out with a TPB of 70's issues of The Unexpected.
    Probably too much to expect.

To answer the question, though - it's as good a time as any. As others have said, the reboot wrought many changes that were bad (for me personally, the cancellation and non-replacement of every single DCU title I was reading, and the disappearance or negative change to most or all of the characters from those books), but also many that were good (the genre diversification with the Dark and Edge have been great; however, DC's more traditional super-hero books aren't as good for whatever reason).

If nothing else, we certainly live in interesting times, when sales are much higher than a few years ago, but not as high as they should be to bring the industry up to where it needs to be in the long run. We might be seeing an interesting sales blip for a few years before things go back down to even lower than they were before the industry is no longer sustainable in its current form. Things looked pretty bleak sales-wise in, say, 2009, as compared to today, but I can't help wondering how temporary it really is.

Alright thanks everyone. My favorite title that I was reading in the past was Frankenstien Agent of SHADE

Also i collected about 16 DC titles until I got to like issue 5 with each title then I stopped collecting.

Alright thanks everyone. My favorite title that I was reading in the past was Frankenstien Agent of SHADE

Also i collected about 16 DC titles until I got to like issue 5 with each title then I stopped collecting.

[QUOTE=MajorHoy;16304072]But for some long-time, older readers . . . not so much.
    QUOTE]

This.

Quote Originally Posted by DrSkeleton View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But for some long-time, older readers . . . not so much.
    This.
    Or Not.                       
    D-Deadman! You killed Deadman!!

Quote Originally Posted by shark View Post
    That depends on what characters you like.
    This is the best answer.

Some characters have been washed off the face of the earth, so I imagine the fans of those characters aren't having the best of times right now.

Some books are great, some are okay, and others suck -- but it was like that before, too.

The thing I dislike the most about the New 52, is how small the world feels now. It just feels like everyone is just bumping into one-another with all the crossovers, and yet, no one seems to really understand anyone else. I get the idea of trying to cross-promote characters, to try and get people to try out more books, but people are all over the place, jumping from one team to the next, in a very short period of time.
    DC: Action Comics - Detective Comics - Batman and... - Batman - Justice League
    Marvel: All-New X-Factor

Quote Originally Posted by Namtab View Post
    This is the best answer.

Some characters have been washed off the face of the earth, so I imagine the fans of those characters aren't having the best of times right now.

Some books are great, some are okay, and others suck -- but it was like that before, too.

The thing I dislike the most about the New 52, is how small the world feels now. It just feels like everyone is just bumping into one-another with all the crossovers, and yet, no one seems to really understand anyone else. I get the idea of trying to cross-promote characters, to try and get people to try out more books, but people are all over the place, jumping from one team to the next, in a very short period of time.
    Wow, that is a really great ans. and know that I think about it almost every arc that I read has been interrupted by a crossover event.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyOlsenMustDie View Post
    Probably too much to expect.
    I don't know about that. We've had 2 volumes of '70s Phantom Stranger, '70s Spectre, '50s Tales of the Unexpected, Ghosts (I really never expected to see that one), Witching Hour, 3 volumes of House of Mystery, Secrets of the Sinister House, 2 volumes of Strange Adventures, and it just goes on and on. I don't think anything is off the table in terms of obscure DC horror and sf.

Is it a great time to be a DC fan? In a word no. It's not. DC's glory days are long gone imho.

It depends on your taste. For me, not so much. I'm down to three DC titles, and soon that will be just two. Worlds' Finest and Sword of Sorcery if you care to know, with Earth 2 on the chopping block if next issue doesn't seriously impress me. I don't follow Marvel much, so I can't say about them.

However, the indies seem to be experiencing a renaissance of sorts, perhaps because they see opportunity in the upheaval in DC and Marvel. Valiant has had a successful relaunch to pretty major acclaim. Dark Horse is ever so slowly relaunching some of it's superhero line, (Comic's Greatest World). Top Cow is going great guns. Dynamite is making a splash with those of us who like the old school superheroics via the pulp heroes, (and some really great stories with top talent). And of course, along with Top Cow, Image is doing great these days...

So an odd side effect for me was the drastic cut in my DC titles has enabled me to replace some of them with the great indy titles. A sliver lining in what otherwise for me was very dark cloud.
    Try my Blog!

And visit me on Facebook here!

Quote Originally Posted by Namtab View Post
    . . . The thing I dislike the most about the New 52, is how small the world feels now. It just feels like everyone is just bumping into one-another with all the crossovers, and yet, no one seems to really understand anyone else. I get the idea of trying to cross-promote characters, to try and get people to try out more books, but people are all over the place, jumping from one team to the next, in a very short period of time.
    On the other hand, that "smaller world" feel may be beneficial to newer readers who haven't experienced the vastness of the old DC (especially with the pre-CoIE Multiverse) . . . it may make things a bit easier to grasp when you see more interconnectivity.
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

In answer to your question: IT SURE IS! I thought my return to reading "mainstream" comics would be a short one, but thanks largely to DC it's been almost FOUR YEARS now with still no end in sight! I mostly collect DCs but also a smattering of Image and Dynamite stuff that I was already reading. Even with some of the changes that the New52 have made, I've found them less aggravating than what's been going on over at Marvel! From Winter Soldier (I hate Bucky being "discovered" alive and living as an assassin) to CIVIL WAR to OMD to OMIT to Cyclops going to jail it's just been one kick in the gonads after another! I think the downward spiral started with the return of Jean Grey and things have never been the same since!

VIVA DC!
    FAV Comics: Lil' ABNER, DICK TRACY, BATMAN, UNCLE SCROOGE, KAMUI, TOMB OF DRACULA, THE MIGHTY THOR by LEE\KIRBY, WONDER WOMAN by PEREZ\KAREN BERGER, AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 1-206 and EC COMICS!

Quote Originally Posted by gwydion View Post
    It depends on your taste. For me, not so much. I'm down to three DC titles, and soon that will be just two. Worlds' Finest and Sword of Sorcery if you care to know, with Earth 2 on the chopping block if next issue doesn't seriously impress me. I don't follow Marvel much, so I can't say about them.

However, the indies seem to be experiencing a renaissance of sorts, perhaps because they see opportunity in the upheaval in DC and Marvel. Valiant has had a successful relaunch to pretty major acclaim. Dark Horse is ever so slowly relaunching some of it's superhero line, (Comic's Greatest World). Top Cow is going great guns. Dynamite is making a splash with those of us who like the old school superheroics via the pulp heroes, (and some really great stories with top talent). And of course, along with Top Cow, Image is doing great these days...

So an odd side effect for me was the drastic cut in my DC titles has enabled me to replace some of them with the great indy titles. A sliver lining in what otherwise for me was very dark cloud.
    Just a quick aside. I've fallen behind in my Green Lantern reading, is Dex-Starr still around?
    FAV Comics: Lil' ABNER, DICK TRACY, BATMAN, UNCLE SCROOGE, KAMUI, TOMB OF DRACULA, THE MIGHTY THOR by LEE\KIRBY, WONDER WOMAN by PEREZ\KAREN BERGER, AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 1-206 and EC COMICS!

I think it's a good time to be a comics fan, in general.
    Granted, it's all thanks to DC. The brought the fans back in droves and that helped everybody.
    "A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her."

Oscar Wilde