Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Swedish Shinigami Dark Soul # 7's Avatar

Default Project Versus J (Shounen Jump crossover game)

I wasn't quite sure if I should put this here on in the video game forum. If any mod thinks it would be better placed in the video game forum it can just be moved over there. I just thought that everybody here should be informed.

To celebrate 45 years of Shounen Jump there's apparently going to be a crossover game for the PS3 that so far has Son Goku, Monkey D. Ruffy and Toriko in its roster and you can bet your ass that we'll see more of the magazine's big franchise pop up in the game.

Link: http://www.saiyanisland.com/2012/12/...-for-ps3-vita/

From the project title I'm guessing that it's going to be a fighting game rather than an adventure game or something like that.

Thoughts?

Close enough. I'll switch it if the discussion gets too game oriented.

It's not the first time they make crossovers fighting games.

See here for an example. It had a pretty big roster too, it's what made me discover D.Gray-Man and Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro.

Of course, one can only hope it'll actually be translated. (Even though I don't own a PS3.)
    Suffering is a fact of life. You survive if you find a reason to endure it.

It probably won't be translated. Licencing is way too much of an issue in things like this.

It's why we don't get Super Robot Wars here.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    It probably won't be translated. Licencing is way too much of an issue in things like this.

It's why we don't get Super Robot Wars here.
    One can still hope though. Because I would love me some shounen hero on shounen hero battle with my buddies.

Lover of fine stories Mahou Otaku's Avatar

I hope it comes over, too. Using Gum-Gum Pistol on my enemy would be awesome.

Finally some news about this. It's that Naruto is confirmed for the game and that the official title is now J-Stars Victory: Vs.

http://www.saiyanisland.com/2013/03/...rs-victory-vs/

Omnidisciplinary Nerd

well, toriko, One piece, and DBZ are all licensed by funi. If they can strike a deal with the Naruto dubbers, we might get it dubbed. I mean, this thing would print money

Quote Originally Posted by 1505627 View Post
    well, toriko, One piece, and DBZ are all licensed by funi. If they can strike a deal with the Naruto dubbers, we might get it dubbed. I mean, this thing would print money
    Ah but are the video game rights owners the same as the anime rights owners, sometimes they split things like that up.

And its not just the big names you have to deal with, its every single character, including those that have never been brought over to america. You have to find out who owns the video game rights to everyone and work out deals with the owners. Its not impossible to do, but it takes time and I don't think that any american publisher has been up to the challenge yet for any of these cross-over games. They probably think its a lot of work for a game that in the end only appeals to a pretty niche audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Praxis View Post
    Ah but are the video game rights owners the same as the anime rights owners, sometimes they split things like that up.

And its not just the big names you have to deal with, its every single character, including those that have never been brought over to america. You have to find out who owns the video game rights to everyone and work out deals with the owners. Its not impossible to do, but it takes time and I don't think that any american publisher has been up to the challenge yet for any of these cross-over games. They probably think its a lot of work for a game that in the end only appeals to a pretty niche audience.
    Not to mention that since this is an anniversary game there will probably be several more franchises represented in the game which will just make the whole rights-quetion that much more complicated.

Omnidisciplinary Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by Praxis View Post

i'd read that only thosefour franchises were in the game

Quote Originally Posted by 1505627 View Post
    i'd read that only thosefour franchises were in the game
    The game is supposed to be a celebration of Shounen Jump's 45 years of publication. I really doubt that they'll just include four franchises in the game.

If it is anything like Super Stars or Ultimate Stars the rosters is going to be huge.

Ultimate Stars even had Houshin Engi.

Which is awesome.

And you should all read it.
    Last edited by Hazard; 04-02-2013 at 10:43 AM.

And we have a trailer:

Has there ever been any crossover game with this many franchises in it that made it over to the states and/or Europe?

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    And we have a trailer:

Has there ever been any crossover game with this many franchises in it that made it over to the states and/or Europe?
    Super Smash Bros Brawl?
    "When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."

- C.S. Lewis

Dory St. Johns on Wikicadia

CBR Dark Tourny Master Robotech Master's Avatar
    On an Abh Battleship, somewhere in the Aptic System

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Tatsunoko vs. Capcom for Wii. All of the Tatsunoko related characters had their US rights firmly divided, but they managed to work them out so the game could be released here. So I guess it could happen...it's not a very stable agreement though, because Tatsunoko vs. Capcom is no longer available for purchase. But that wouldn't be too much of a problem so long as you make sure to buy it in the first few years of release.
    "It's your parting gift. In that it will part you; part of you over here, part of you over there, part of you way over there, staining the wall!" Lord Shen