Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar

Default Iron Man #4 *Spoilers*

Iron Man #4 by Gillen and Land, out today...

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

Tony takes on a cult in the catacombs of Paris that's been using Extremis to turn women into faux-demons. He goes in with heavy armor, which turns out to be a mistake when he gets swarmed by the enhanciles. He ends up having to kill all of them, except for one who stays quiet and doesn't attack.

It's a decent issue, with another angle on misuse of Extremis. That said, I'm ready to start seeing some of these ideas connected into something bigger. I'm still a fan of Tony's surly new AI, and it gets a cool little moment to shine with the "magic" circle.

In terms of the art, Land does what Land does. His demon women are nicely creepy (a good use of his style -- they're supposed to all look alike) and the heavy armor looks fantastic, but his Pepper just looks completely wrong. Gillen tries to lampshade it a bit with some comedy, but it still doesn't work.

Anyone else pick this up?
    Expletive Deleted

The book would be better with a different artist, although I also get that it wouldn't be able to do its current schedule, without Land's normal speed.

But I get the feeling that Gillen's current new reader single issue approach these first few issues (potentially as a way to win back those that didn't like Fraction's long form story telling) and his having to work with Tony being such a big part of Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy are limiting his effectiveness in crafting his own stories.

I did.

I'm enjoying this book and I reallly like that it is a series of done-in-ones with a larger backstory.

The way I read it, the nutjob scientist/doctor actually did manage to summon something. It was just that normal women kept dying under possession so the guy used Extremis to pump them up to something that could handle possession.

But Tony doesn't believe in the occult (a weird attitude to have considering he hangs out with a God), so he is gonna characterize this stuff as "delusions" and "programming". Maybe he considers Thor just a jumped up alien and Doc Strange a mutant with a great act. But that is kind of what this arc is about.

Tony's been harangued by Odin and stared the Phoenix in the face. He has empirical proof of this stuff existing but he won't/can't accept it.

The one thing I'm noticing about all these stories is that Tony hasn't learned anything yet.

The Knights and the Drug Lord used Extremis for ends that were argueable altrusitic. The Doctor we get this issue is the
    first utterly evil nutjob we have gotten in this story. Both Hansen and Stark feared misuse of thier inventions. Extrimis could do a lot of good (last issue it cured a fatal disease) but Maya Hansen was just sitting on the stuff. Does the inventor's intent trump the needs of the world? It's an issue because Hansen willingly gave the stuff to terrorists for funding. Hansen was no better than the guys that Iron Man is fighting now. Has any of this even occured to Tony yet?

Other than his monologue in issue #1, I don't get a sense that Tony Stark is coming to a realization about anything.

As far as the art goes, I never had the deep revulsion to Land that other posters seem to.

His women all look alike? So do Mike Grell's. So what is the ache?

I love this book! This and Captain America, Thor, Avengers, Uncanny Avengers, and All-New X-Men have just knocked it out of the park for me!

IIRC, there was a Matt Fraction interview where he commented that he had Tony destroy all his armories because he didn't like the notion that Tony would just pump billions upon billions of dollars into building and hoarding Iron Men. That's also the reason he had Tony stick with an intravenous nanotech suit, using one versatile model rather than having dozens of suits that spend most of their time collecting dust until they're needed for a rare specialty mission-- or more likely, fall into enemy hands.

Kieron Gillen seems to be going the exact opposite direction, having Tony on a building tear and coming up with a battery extremely specific suits. It doesn't hurt the comic for me, because Iron Man is still a fantastical concept and how it materializes is largely influenced by personal preference. In Gillen's case, he's mentioned that he wants a Thunderbirds-like scenario where Tony has a bunch of suits waiting for the right occasion. I personally prefer the versatile transhuman approach, where the armor is on some level a part of Tony and can be adapted to multiple circumstances. (A Gillen interview mentioned the difference between the liquid and modular suits being like the difference between a swiss army knife and a scalpel; I'd go with the former, since it would increase my chances of overall survival on the battlefield)

This was another enjoyable done-in-one issue for me. I'm digging the book so far and while nothing about it has blown me away, I've been satisfied by Gillen's approach. I suspect that the main reason that he's been doing these self-contained issues to kick off with is that he knows that IM and GotG are going to be linking up in a few months so he probably didn't want to get into any seriously impactful or prolonged storylines that would interfere with how those two titles are going to synch up. Once GotG comes out and Gillen can tear into some bigger stories, I think we'll really see his run on IM take shape.

Was the thirteenth woman pregnant with robo-cthulu?

Quote Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted View Post
    Iron Man #4 by Gillen and Land, out today...

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

Tony takes on a cult in the catacombs of Paris that's been using Extremis to turn women into faux-demons. He goes in with heavy armor, which turns out to be a mistake when he gets swarmed by the enhanciles. He ends up having to kill all of them, except for one who stays quiet and doesn't attack.

It's a decent issue, with another angle on misuse of Extremis. That said, I'm ready to start seeing some of these ideas connected into something bigger. I'm still a fan of Tony's surly new AI, and it gets a cool little moment to shine with the "magic" circle.

In terms of the art, Land does what Land does. His demon women are nicely creepy (a good use of his style -- they're supposed to all look alike) and the heavy armor looks fantastic, but his Pepper just looks completely wrong. Gillen tries to lampshade it a bit with some comedy, but it still doesn't work.

Anyone else pick this up?
    Is there any foresight that this one woman, (the one who stays quiet), may factor into future stories as a relevant character? It sounds interesting that the Extremis may have a host that doesn't go crazy, and maybe she has more sanity than even Tony did when he had Extremis.
    Visited NY and DC and saw Spider-Man Turn off the Dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitz the Bloody View Post
    IIRC, there was a Matt Fraction interview where he commented that he had Tony destroy all his armories because he didn't like the notion that Tony would just pump billions upon billions of dollars into building and hoarding Iron Men. That's also the reason he had Tony stick with an intravenous nanotech suit, using one versatile model rather than having dozens of suits that spend most of their time collecting dust until they're needed for a rare specialty mission-- or more likely, fall into enemy hands.

Kieron Gillen seems to be going the exact opposite direction, having Tony on a building tear and coming up with a battery extremely specific suits. It doesn't hurt the comic for me, because Iron Man is still a fantastical concept and how it materializes is largely influenced by personal preference. In Gillen's case, he's mentioned that he wants a Thunderbirds-like scenario where Tony has a bunch of suits waiting for the right occasion. I personally prefer the versatile transhuman approach, where the armor is on some level a part of Tony and can be adapted to multiple circumstances. (A Gillen interview mentioned the difference between the liquid and modular suits being like the difference between a swiss army knife and a scalpel; I'd go with the former, since it would increase my chances of overall survival on the battlefield)

I'd like to know why Extremis didn't give all the hosts Extremis armors, only Tony, so far? Is there some tendency to obey the host in how Extremis gets translated? So for instance, if Extremis entered Spider-Man, it would morph into a spider motif?

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Is there any foresight that this one woman, (the one who stays quiet), may factor into future stories as a relevant character?
    Well, it pretty clearly sets her up for a return, but there's nothing concrete.

It sounds interesting that the Extremis may have a host that doesn't go crazy, and maybe she has more sanity than even Tony did when he had Extremis.
    Oh, she's crazy. Just not aggressive, for reasons made somewhat clear at the end of the issue.

I'd like to know why Extremis didn't give all the hosts Extremis armors, only Tony, so far?
    It didn't really give him the Extremis armor, so much as it gave him the ability to use it effectively.

That said, the thing about Extremis is that it can be tailored to create different effects. Each of the scientists playing with Extremis thus far has used it to induce different customized transformations in their test subjects.
    Last edited by Expletive Deleted; 12-14-2012 at 05:20 AM.
    Expletive Deleted

Didn't do it for me, unfortunately, yet again. I'm sticking with it for Gillen, but I'm not getting a payoff here.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

I rode the Gillen rollercoaster of quality on Uncanny X-Men but I dont think I want to do it again.

Hopefully Young Avengers is his new JiM.

Quote Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted View Post
    Well, it pretty clearly sets her up for a return, but there's nothing concrete.

Oh, she's crazy. Just not aggressive, for reasons made somewhat clear at the end of the issue.

It didn't really give him the Extremis armor, so much as it gave him the ability to use it effectively.

That said, the thing about Extremis is that it can be tailored to create different effects. Each of the scientists playing with Extremis thus far has used it to induce different customized transformations in their test subjects.

That's what's so interesting to me. Extremis had an ambiguous operandi and to give Maya Hansen another go at her creation was a long time coming. We have no idea what the Extremis is and now that it is being tailored into different applications, makes Extremis a little mysterious. A little like Ultimo and those alien devices used by Gauntlet and that other girl in the Initiative. Extremis comes across as intelligent and adaptive to human hosts, internally, while Gauntlets device was adaptive externally. Maya Hansen may have invented something she shouldn't have far too early for human evolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter F. View Post
    Was the thirteenth woman pregnant with robo-cthulu?
    yep
    10 char
    PaperArt
    XPOTM, 6/12

We have no idea what the Extremis is...
    Sure we do. It's a customized bio-electronics package. Extremis rewrites the repair center of the brain with a new "blueprint" for the body, tricking the body into thinking that its current state is damaged and forcing it to reconstruct itself according to the instructions programmed into the dose by whichever scientist's been playing around with it.

It's extremely versatile and certainly raises some complicated ethical issues, but it's not terribly mysterious. And imbuing it with some sort of independent agency, if that's what you're suggesting, seem like a stretch.
    Expletive Deleted