Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What do you think of the Marvel NOW! Iron Man?

I came into comics at the end of Invincible Iron Man's run so I thought that I should wait for the new one that was coming out. After reading it the comic felt that it was a slightly repeated version of an older comic I don't know if there doing the Extremis plot line because of the new movie coming out in the summer which has Extremis hardware in it. Do you think that this book will continue on this same path of retelling old stories in a new way or do something new with Tony Stark and Iron Man like in the Indestructible Hulk with Bruce Banner and the Hulk, because of yet I see nothing different/exciting coming up.

Futurist Detective TonyStark1012's Avatar

I'm hoping they do something new. Tony is all about moving forward. About the future. So far I think it's been descent. Issue #3 was better than the first 2. I still haven't read issue #4, but again I hope it gets better and goes somewhere new which it seems with Tony going into space with the Godkiller arc.
    "That's not just "one man"! That's TONY FREAKING STARK. You're intel should've warned us that he was James Bond and "Q" wrapped in the same guy!" Cobra

Thumbs down Totally dissatisfied.

I looked forward to this book the most of the relaunch. It's epically failed me.

I've dropped it after two issues. I have no idea what the story is about because the creative output stinks to high heaven.

Writer Keiron Gillen is one of the few writers to ovecome the deficiencies of an inferior artist, but here on Iron Man I think Greg Land's inadequecies are definitely hurting this book.

Generally, i'd pick up a book later when a different creative team comes on, but whenever the rotationg artist comes on I'm still not trying it. There's no reason to try out a book that you can't follow consistently.

I'd advise all newbs to the Marvel Universe and Iron Man to give it a shot nonetheless because it's perfect for the unaffected.
    Marvel : Moon Knight, Savage Hulk (6/25), Original Sin (5/7)

DC : Aquaman, Aquaman & the Others

I'm new to reading Iron Man (and comics in general) and picked this up because I've enjoyed Kieron Gillen's writing. I'm finding the artwork very off-putting and the story difficult to follow or care about.

The story for it is Armor Wars again and it stinks. Why does every author have to come up with a new armor?

I like Gillen, especially on Thor and JiM, but I read the first issue of this series and there was nothing to hang your hat on. Nothing seemed new, fresh or exciting about the title at all. The artwork, in my view, is awful and the story was just blah. It doesn't help that every writer now is maniacally aping Downey Jr.'s style of dialogue for Tony. Perhaps some writers are not suited to certain characters or titles.

Art is somewhat better than I expected, if only because my expectations were so incredibly low. Story is quite a letdown; reminds me of the Iron Man anime, in the focus on episodic stories with villains-of-the-issue. There are some interesting ideas, but starting out so conservatively was a really bad idea.

Short term:
    - They need to change the artist fast. I thought Iron Man is the premiere Marvel NOW comics as the character is the premiere MCU character, yet it's stuck with Greg Land? Get Sean Chen please. Or the next Jim Lee.

As for Greg Land, put him in Dazzler mini.

Long term:
    - Agreed with Nitz, Iron Man need big, non-conventional Promethean ideas. Let him play with out-of-this world tech and ideas just like Mr Fantastic would. Tony Stark, is after all, as (almost) smart as Reed Richard and more ambitious than the smartest person on Earth. Tony Stark is the "Red" emotive-proactive genius to Reed's "Blue" logical-passive genius.

That's why I want Hickman to write Iron Man. Gillen can still prove himself to be a good alternative.

I think it's horrible. The art is embarrassing and the story is lame. Everything that is happening was already done better by previous writers, why are we exploring the same shit? The dialogue is also goofy. When it comes down to what the worst Marvel Now comic is it would be a toss up between Iron Man and Thunderbolts.

Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar

I think it's got a lot of potential, but it's not really working. The art is a big problem. Land does all right with the action sequences and anything involving the armor, but he's not working out on the more personal moments. In terms of the story, I think Gillen is throwing out a lot of really interesting ideas, but he hasn't really engaged with them or tied them together into something cohesive. Yet.

I'm giving it some more rope because I think it could turn into something special, but I can understand why others are tuning out.
    Expletive Deleted

Straight Edge

I've only read the 1st 2 issues so far (get them via subscription) and I'm not into it at all. Honestly, I'm not a Land hater like most, so that's not the problem, its the story, just not grabbing me at all. I'm not sure how much longer I want to hang on for. I'm already locked in to at least issue 4. I may just switch my sub to another title.
    CaptainAmerica Hawkeye Avengers NewAvengers UncannyAvengers AvengersWorld

Issue #1 was really good, and that's all. Issues #2-4 were, let's say, ok.
    It looks like Gillen doesn't really "feel good" writing Iron Man, or is warming up.
    So far, it seems like Marvel forced him to write IM.
    Say No to decompressed storytelling!

Bellechere for the win!!!

European Union: XXI Century New USSR
    I am anti-EU

Desperately waiting first 2 issues to arrive to my comic store.(They should arrive in a couple days)
    I think I'll like it.

read the first 2 issues and dropped the book I'll get my Iron fix from Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by chakal View Post
    Issue #1 was really good, and that's all. Issues #2-4 were, let's say, ok.
    It looks like Gillen doesn't really "feel good" writing Iron Man, or is warming up.
    So far, it seems like Marvel forced him to write IM.
    I was thinking the same thing