View Poll Results: There can be only one

Voters
166. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Dick Grayson

71 42.77%
  • Jason Todd

7 4.22%
  • Tim Drake

46 27.71%
  • Steph Brown

16 9.64%
  • Damian Wayne

26 15.66%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Don't do the Limbo sunofdarkchild's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    No she wouldn't. Im sorry but Steph was not the best all rounder. Both Dick and Tim are more well rounded, while also having specializations. Even Damian and Jason are probably more well rounded. Steph was an underdog. Her skill were never really anything special, but that was kind of the point.
    While being completely untrained she beat Tim up twice, both times after his around the world training with people like Shiva. She was also able to keep up with him without a problem for years before beginning to receive any trainng from anyone. It stands to reason that she is more skilled than Tim in that regard and that the difference between her and Tim fighting skill-wise is training. Tim trained with more people, all of whom were more serious about training him than anyone ever was about training Steph.

As for her detective skills, that depends on how much of Dick's profiency comes from natural ability and how much from training with Batman, which depends on which version of Dick's origin you look at. But Steph, again without any training, was very skilled in that regard, sometimes to the point of knowing what the criminals were thinking better than Tim or Bruce.

It was really Cass that made Steph look like nothing special. With anyone else having equal training would have made her equal or close to.

once and future

If it's just one, you can only pick Dick.

The really hard question is Which Two Robins?

Dick, Damian, and Jason Todd as a side-character who Batman takes up briefly and fails, but he never becomes Robin so all the civilians won't be needlessly confused.

The Alpha and The Omega Godlike13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    While being completely untrained she beat Tim up twice, both times after his around the world training with people like Shiva. She was also able to keep up with him without a problem for years before beginning to receive any trainng from anyone. It stands to reason that she is more skilled than Tim in that regard and that the difference between her and Tim fighting skill-wise is training. Tim trained with more people, all of whom were more serious about training him than anyone ever was about training Steph.

As for her detective skills, that depends on how much of Dick's profiency comes from natural ability and how much from training with Batman, which depends on which version of Dick's origin you look at. But Steph, again without any training, was very skilled in that regard, sometimes to the point of knowing what the criminals were thinking better than Tim or Bruce.

It was really Cass that made Steph look like nothing special. With anyone else having equal training would have made her equal or close to.
    Im sorry, but there is just not enough there that supports Steph was a better fighter then Tim, ive seen Tim beat Steph too, or was a better detective than Dick. Especially her being better detective than Dick. Steph was not, not ever, a more skilled detective than Dick.
    I can see an argument about Steph being a more skilled fighter then Tim, don't necessarily agree but i can see it, but Steph's being a more skilled detective over Dick, ya sorry, that one i can't see.
    And quite frankly if there was some kind of Robin Decathlon with points awarded for various categories, she not winning it. Not if ur being fair and true the each Robin. Sorry.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 12-31-2012 at 04:08 AM.

Thanks for the link. I'm loving the mindset displayed for killing off Dick:"He's just undefined, so let's do something about it. Hmmmm... death would really improve him and define his role in DC Universe."
    Why do the hard work and give him new, bold direction, when you can simply kill him off, milk the money of his death and call it a day. Am I right?
    I thought Winnick was a creative guy, but this just shots that notion down.

Dick is more Nightwing than Robin. So I voted Drake. He'd be my one robin and Dick would be nightwing

Im sorry, but there is just not enough there that support Steph was a better fighter then Tim, or was a better detective than Dick. Especially her being better detective than Dick. Steph was not, not ever, a more skilled detective than Dick.
    I can see an argument about Steph being a more skilled fighter then Tim, don't necessarily agree but i can see it, but Steph's being a more skilled detective over Dick's, ya sorry, that one i can't see. And quite frankly if there was some kind of Robin Decathlon with points awarded for various categories, she not winning it. Not if ur being fair and true the each Robin. Sorry.
    Which is pretty much what I was saying. Without any training in her introduction she was much more skilled than Tim was in A Lonely Place of Dying before he had any training. With Dick it becomes a much harder arguement because of the differing versions of his origins that have different emphasis, and any one that pmphasizes his detective skills brings him up. Then factor in that every other Robin had Batman take their training more seriously and received fairly complete training from the likes of Shiva, the League of Assasins, and other world class fighters around the world, and she ends up being below pretty miuch everyone but Damian because he's nowhere near as good as he's going to be.

And no one claimed that she was the best at any one thing. Being better that Tim at fighting does not mean she could beat Dick and being better than Dick at detective work does not mean she could hold a candle to Tim. So taking away any training from everyone she at best comes out equal in a 'decathlon.'

All of the above and she was a good friend to Cass and a civilising influence on Damian, subtly influencing him which is a leadership skill and she is a good counter balance to Bruce at his most grim, lightening his mood and irritating him in equal measure which is really the essence of what a good Robin is about. And she does not have to be the best at any one thing, if she was second best at everything she wins overall unless someone else wins everything. Perhaps someone could do a computer simulation like that tv show that has Vikings versus Samurai and similar unlikely conficts.
    Last edited by Bluebow; 12-31-2012 at 07:51 AM.

Sounds to me like Tim should have been killed off if that's true concerning him and Stephanie. Suicide mostly since apparently he was a complete and all round failure at everything.

The Alpha and The Omega Godlike13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebow View Post
    All of the above and she was a good friend to Cass and a civilising influence on Damian, subtly influencing him which is a leadership skill and she is a good counter balance to Bruce at his most grim, lightening his mood and irritating him in equal measure which is really the essence of what a good Robin is about. And she does not have to be the best at any one thing, if she was second best at everything she wins overall unless someone else wins everything. Perhaps someone could do a computer simulation like that tv show that has Vikings versus Samurai and similar unlikely conficts.
    She's not the second best at everything though. While the other Robins all have their expertise, that does not mean they aren't still very good in the other areas too. Nor were they not good counter balances to Bruce.

he's the first and the best so I'm going with Greyson after that Tim Drake and Damien

Quote Originally Posted by Fate's Faith View Post
    Sounds to me like Tim should have been killed off if that's true concerning him and Stephanie. Suicide mostly since apparently he was a complete and all round failure at everything.
    Why? He was a good enough detective to figure out who Batman and Robin were when he was 9. The fact that at the time he couldn't fight to save his life meant little when it wasn't his primary strength. He underwent a great deal of training under Batman, Shiva, and many others which compenstaed for his relative lack of natural physical skill. So Steph managed to beat him up twice after he completed that training even though she had no training beyond gym class. It doesn't mean her skill was equal to his training. It means under the right circumstances she could compete.

Without any training whatsoever Steph was skilled enough to take out rooms full of armed men without suffering a single hit and strong enough to pick up grown men and through them into other people. It's not any more shameful for Tim to be beaten around by her than it is when Bruce or Dick have trouble with individual enemies.

She's not the second best at everything though. While the other Robins all have their expertise, that does not mean they aren't still very good in the other areas too. Nor were they not good counter balances to Bruce.
    I said if she was second best to simplfy the argument, saying second or third might have been better. She does have her "never give up attitude" and looks better in the outfit. I did wonder why she never figured out who Bruce and Tim were though, but Bruce using the knowledge of her identity against her was a staple of the plot for so long that maybe that was the reason for that, if she knew she could have done it back at them.
    Last edited by Bluebow; 12-31-2012 at 08:20 AM.

Why? He was a good enough detective to figure out who Batman and Robin were when he was 9. The fact that at the time he couldn't fight to save his life meant little when it wasn't his primary strength. He underwent a great deal of training under Batman, Shiva, and many others which compenstaed for his relative lack of natural physical skill. So Steph managed to beat him up twice after he completed that training even though she had no training beyond gym class. It doesn't mean her skill was equal to his training. It means under the right circumstances she could compete.
    You give the answer yourself. She could take him after all that training while she's done nothing but played volleyball in high school? Yep, the Joker needs to put such a pathetic excuse for a Robin down. I take it by "his relative lack of natural physical skill" he couldn't walk and chew gum. Seriously, you're going to say that some kid off the street is even as good as Tim Drake doesn't degrade him?

Unreasonably Opinionated Conway's Avatar

The "reboot" makes this tougher because they've shuffled up the Robins' pasts. Tim puts up a good fight. He is intriguing, but can you really vote against Dick?

This was a hard one for me because I love all the Robins. If I had to pick one who fit the role best, I would go for Dick Grayson since he defined the role, but since you didn't give any criteria to which one we should choose, I instead went for my favorite, Tim Drake. Tim is awesome, and I've always related to him as a character...until the DCNU. Now, Tim needs to be killed off, but that is a separate discussion.

For the record though, I love that there are multiple Robins; its the five your time line that needs to go. As if any new readers care whether Bruce is in his early or late thirties.

Quote Originally Posted by Fate's Faith View Post
    You give the answer yourself. She could take him after all that training while she's done nothing but played volleyball in high school? Yep, the Joker needs to put such a pathetic excuse for a Robin down. I take it by "his relative lack of natural physical skill" he couldn't walk and chew gum. Seriously, you're going to say that some kid off the street is even as good as Tim Drake doesn't degrade him?
    Wait, when did Steph take Tim in a straight up fight. I've read every issue of Robin and Red Robin and I don't recall that ever happening. I recall Steph waylaying him in a sneak attack, but that makes perfect sense.
    For more news, reviews, and commentary for the entire Bat Family, check out Batwatch