View Poll Results: There can be only one

Voters
166. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Dick Grayson

71 42.77%
  • Jason Todd

7 4.22%
  • Tim Drake

46 27.71%
  • Steph Brown

16 9.64%
  • Damian Wayne

26 15.66%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Don't do the Limbo sunofdarkchild's Avatar

It depends on what role you think Robin should play. If it is to be the next Batman-in-training, then it is Tim, no contest. If it is to be what Tim said Robin should be in A Lonely Place of Dying, then it is Stephanie, no contest.

That said, Steph does not have to be Robin to acheive that goal, while Tim does. The moment he stops being Robin he is no longer Batman-in-training.

i feel like there should be one concrete Robin. Not everyone should move on to better or how to put this, graduate. To have 3 ex Robins running around kinda bloats the bat universe in a bad way. Alot of superheroes don't even age lol. Furthermore, if a Robin is supposed to be Batman in training then their logical progression would be to take over Batman for the long haul. But besides Dick, that hasn't happened that I'm aware of and won't likely ever happen.

I say Damian should be Robin. The father/son dynamic can have great potential for decades.
    Last edited by Lazyking; 12-13-2012 at 12:17 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Bronson View Post
    Honestly, Nolan did a better 'Robin' than any of the DC writers. So.

Vote - Blake
    Agreed, though I think Blake resembles Tim Drake more than any of the others.

Obviously DG, everyone else is merely swagger jacking.

The Avatar of Vengeance melkorjunior's Avatar

Having already picked Steph, I should add that I am also digging the new Helena Wayne as Robin of Earth 2 concept DC is doing.

Obviously Steph's run as Robin was simply a means to an end, and yet another opportunity for DC to screw with the character. And I'll always think of her time as Robin as a part-time gig she did before she took over the bigger role of Batgirl.

But she still get's my vote. Cos she's Steph. And the others are all blokes.

"The Tardis, when working properly, is capable of many amazing things. Not unlike myself."

I think the only person in the poll who wouldn't work as a particular univere's only Robin is Jason. Dick could just keep his origin. Tim could just seek Batman out after finding out his identity without worrying about previous Robins. Steph would be the child of a rogue that helps Batman out until he takes her in. Damien works as the biological son.

I would go with a characters with the characteristics of Jason (the past and the baggage) and Tim (fast learner and good detective), and make him the second Robin. Make Dick the first Robin who became Nightwing. Have Stephanie as Spoiler a regular ally of Batman and Robin, and basically the one who helps grounding Batman.

Are we allowed one robin and one nightwing?

I think Tim and Damian are the best Robins. They have the significant advantage of having been featured in the role during the modern era, when comics started caring more about character development and continuity. Most of Jason's and Tim's best outings as Robin have been retcons. That said, some of those retcons are very, very good -- I love the Dick Grayson we see in Robin: Year One and the Zero Hour event, for example, and I've grown to love Jason mostly through fanfic depictions. I was really excited about the rumoured "Robins" book because I'd really like to see more stories looking back at Jason's and Dick's time in the tights.
    "I find myself in the service of lost boys struggling to be strong men." - Robin: Year One

Quote Originally Posted by Don Yoyo View Post
    I would go with a characters with the characteristics of Jason (the past and the baggage) and Tim (fast learner and good detective), and make him the second Robin. Make Dick the first Robin who became Nightwing. Have Stephanie as Spoiler a regular ally of Batman and Robin, and basically the one who helps grounding Batman.
    That's part of the problem, since that is historically one of Robin's main reasons for existing. While the others may be great characters in their own right, it reflects badly on them that the one person whose history does not have to include being Robin at all and who is the least close to Batman among them accomplishes that task so much better than they ever did.

LeagueOfShadows Violent Bronson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Agreed, though I think Blake resembles Tim Drake more than any of the others.
    Close. Mother died in an accident when he was young, father was shot and killed by the mob because if gambling debts. Grew up in an orphanage, learning to hide his anger by smiling. Became a cop, set up to become Robin.

Dick will probably always be the best and most iconic / definitive Robin, but my favorite is Damian. I hate Tim, lame Mary Sue character, and I like Jason as the total black sheep, but I'd never pick him as a favorite. Steph is irrelevant to me but I'd probably still take her over Tim. If you include Carrie Kelly she would be my second favorite after Damian.

Damian
    Dick
    Jason
    Steph
    Tim
    Saga, Private Eye, Chew, Umbral, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly

She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor

Dick Grayson is my all-time favorite Robin. He's the guy who defined the role and had it the longest--about 43 years.

That said, I've always liked Tim and Damian continues to be a riot. But both characters' roles as Robin depend upon the prior history.

Tim becomes Robin because he essentially applies for the job after seeing Bruce go off the deep end following Jason's death. Tim believes Batman needs a Robin, and with backing from Alfred and Dick, he convinces Bruce to train him for the role. This is the original history of course, not the "new 52" history.

Damian becomes Robin when Dick becomes Batman because of the history behind "Robin the Boy Wonder" at that stage. In another world where Dick never became Batman's partner until he was a young adult (say 18 or older) and called himself Nightwing, I'm doubtful he would ever consider taking on a ten-year old as a sidekick.

Jason's history is more complicated. For most of his time as Robin in the 1980s, he was, like Dick, a circus aerialist adopted by Bruce after his parents died. He trained for the role as Batman's sidekick, and only became Robin when Dick gave up the role. As "the Boy Wonder", I liked the pre-Crisis character far better than the post-Crisis version.

Post-Crisis, he's a street kid taken in by Bruce and trained to become Robin after Bruce "fires" Dick. Edgier origin, perhaps, but never particularly believable (in the sense it is calling for a bit too much "willing suspension of disbelief"). Dick and Jason I (pre-Crisis version) were already trained athletes, and combined with the motivation provided by the circumstances of their parents' deaths, made (relatively) believable 12-year old sidekicks. Not only did Jason II (post-Crisis) lack that athletic background, the whole idea that Batman would "fire" an experienced 19-year old crimefighter and replace him with a 12-year old, obnoxious street punk strained credibility. I wasn't fond of Jason post-Crisis (though I still voted NOT to kill him!).

I'm surprised that I actually like Jason in the "new 52", but I still can't conceive of him as a great Robin. In any version of his origin, though, he becomes Robin because of the legacy already established by Dick, who's usually an important player in the events that lead to Jason becoming Robin. In that sense, he's like Tim and Damian--he becomes Robin because there has already been a Robin before him.
    Currently reading far too many comics to list (mostly DC/Vertigo), despite the best hope of my parents that I'd outgrow comics by the time I turned 50.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Yoyo View Post
    I would go with a characters with the characteristics of Jason (the past and the baggage) and Tim (fast learner and good detective), and make him the second Robin.
    So Batman the Animated Series Tim Drake? I could get behind that.