View Poll Results: What did you think of Ultimate Comics: X-Men #20

Voters
48. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Great! Can't wait for the next issue!

37 77.08%
  • Good. I enjoy where this story is going.

7 14.58%
  • Meh. Could've been better, but I didn't hate it.

2 4.17%
  • Bad. I don't really care for this story.

2 4.17%
  • Awful. Wish I didn't read it.

0 0%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

To sum up this issue:

* All girls must be sexualised in every capacity at every moment. Also, everyone was given a free boobjob along with the patch of desert.

* That includes throwing in bi-sexual/lesbian relationships between Psylocke and Rogue, apparently. (The over-sexualisation of those panels was extremely distracting from the actual event taking place, too).

* Whatever character Kitty used to have, she now doesn't. She is an entirely different character with an entirely different face, body and mind. Maybe I wouldn't mind, but I thought Ultimate Kitty was a magnificent character and her relationships with the X-Men and Spider-Man cast were a massive part of the success of both those books. Especially in USM.

* Peter's been dead a few months, Kong's disappeared altogether and Kitty jumps straight into bed with Wolverine Jr just because he wanted it. There was absolutely no development of Kitty's feelings towards Jimmy - it was all about him. It's either just terrible writing or plain creepy. Not sure which.

* I don't get the Nomi stuff at all outside of the blatant fact Wood is turning her into Magneto V.2. There's been no good explanation for why she's turned up all nutty-butter, or why anyone is even giving her a moment of their time given that she's clearly just a daft little girl.

* Is Storm's character the next to disappear altogether? She certainly seems to have no knowledge whatsoever of the fact she and Kitty were both X-Men.

* While there was literally no action in this issue (again), the mutant seed stuff was at least a good move. As was bringing in Tony Stark for it.

Ultimately, having issue after issue full of dialogue can work really well if the characters are written really well - but this just isn't the case. Maybe they'd be ok characters if they were brand new and Wood was creating a whole new world... but he's not. It's as if he's never even read any of the previous books with these characters in them. The overt sexualisation in this issue may just be an art problem, but it made it feel quite sleazy. Ultimate X-Men was never one to shy from putting people in bed together (especially when it involved Wolverine), but all the girls running around with padded bikinis is just childish.

Hopefully, next issue, the X-Men actually remember they're mutant superheroes and use their powers to hit something instead of talk a whole lot.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorOak View Post
    To sum up this issue:

* All girls must be sexualised in every capacity at every moment. Also, everyone was given a free boobjob along with the patch of desert.

* That includes throwing in bi-sexual/lesbian relationships between Psylocke and Rogue, apparently. (The over-sexualisation of those panels was extremely distracting from the actual event taking place, too).

* Whatever character Kitty used to have, she now doesn't. She is an entirely different character with an entirely different face, body and mind. Maybe I wouldn't mind, but I thought Ultimate Kitty was a magnificent character and her relationships with the X-Men and Spider-Man cast were a massive part of the success of both those books. Especially in USM.

* Peter's been dead a few months, Kong's disappeared altogether and Kitty jumps straight into bed with Wolverine Jr just because he wanted it. There was absolutely no development of Kitty's feelings towards Jimmy - it was all about him. It's either just terrible writing or plain creepy. Not sure which.

* I don't get the Nomi stuff at all outside of the blatant fact Wood is turning her into Magneto V.2. There's been no good explanation for why she's turned up all nutty-butter, or why anyone is even giving her a moment of their time given that she's clearly just a daft little girl.

* Is Storm's character the next to disappear altogether? She certainly seems to have no knowledge whatsoever of the fact she and Kitty were both X-Men.

* While there was literally no action in this issue (again), the mutant seed stuff was at least a good move. As was bringing in Tony Stark for it.

Ultimately, having issue after issue full of dialogue can work really well if the characters are written really well - but this just isn't the case. Maybe they'd be ok characters if they were brand new and Wood was creating a whole new world... but he's not. It's as if he's never even read any of the previous books with these characters in them. The overt sexualisation in this issue may just be an art problem, but it made it feel quite sleazy. Ultimate X-Men was never one to shy from putting people in bed together (especially when it involved Wolverine), but all the girls running around with padded bikinis is just childish.

Hopefully, next issue, the X-Men actually remember they're mutant superheroes and use their powers to hit something instead of talk a whole lot.
    *This is a flaw of the entire comic-book industry, not just this one series.

*We all just thought that because we saw the preview art sans word bubbles first. In the context of the scene, it makes sense, because Psylocke is A) trying to mess with Rogue and B) being villainous. Several shows and movies have villains who really like invading the hero's personal space, sometimes with mere inches between them as they both stare angrily at each other.

*She's grown up a whole lot since she was in Ultimate Spider-Man.

*Kitty made it pretty clear that Jimmy's been a source of comfort and stability to her in these times. Plus, she's a horny sixteen-year-old in the desert, where she may very well die any day due to the dangers of being a mutant. People hook up for way worse reasons.

*Look at it from her point of view. She came South to help fight the oppressive U.S. government and obtain equal rights for mutants. When she arrives, she finds that the cause has essentially been abandoned (as she sees it): most mutants have given in to the government's demand that if they want to live in America, they must give up their powers. It makes sense that she'd be angry at the individual who represented mutants and accepted that deal.

*Blackheath's question to Storm was if she thought Kitty would make a good leader. Storm still remembers her time with Kitty; the Sentinel War is simply the only time she's seen Kitty in a leadership position. That's why she only commented on her role in that battle.
    "Before you save anyone else, you have to save yourself."
    ~Gregory Maguire

I can justify Storm in a bikni top. There in a very hot desert, and she was in a green house. Inside a green house in a very hot desert is very very hot. So Storm is very very hot. So she wears a bikini top. Storm has always had big boobs, so she was drawn correctly. And she has always been very very hot. So if somebody got any sexualisation from this, then that means you have the hotts for Storm. And that is because she is so very very hot.

Storm was such a bad ass with the bikini top, army pants, army boots, and her iconic kick ass mohawk. It's damn good to have Storm with the Ultimae X-Men!

I endorse Ultimate Storm!

I also endorse the further character development of Kitty Pryde into the Ultimate X-Men leader!

Ultimate Comics: X-Men #20 is flawless!

I feel like some of these complaints are reactions to what good storytelling actually is. Brian Wood has done extensive development on these characters. We knew almost nothing about Nomi. The fact that she just survived a war might change her. Especially considering her age. Normal teenagers can change day-to-day, throw in being part of the last of your species, surviving a robo-war, and being kicked out of the United States and I'd say that's grounds for some rapid change.
    Comics are more better.

Quote Originally Posted by _Pandora_ View Post
    I can justify Storm in a bikni top. There in a very hot desert, and she was in a green house. Inside a green house in a very hot desert is very very hot. So Storm is very very hot. So she wears a bikini top. Storm has always had big boobs, so she was drawn correctly. And she has always been very very hot. So if somebody got any sexualisation from this, then that means you have the hotts for Storm. And that is because she is so very very hot.

Storm was such a bad ass with the bikini top, army pants, army boots, and her iconic kick ass mohawk. It's damn good to have Storm with the Ultimae X-Men!

I also endorse the further character development of Kitty Pryde into the Ultimate X-Men leader!

I agree with all of this.
    All-New Ultimates Earth 2 Harley Quinn Injustice Invincible Miles Morales: The Ultimate Spider-Man Real Heroes The Walking Dead Ultimate FF

so do anyone know when the old x-men are gonna start interacting with each other it seems like they have no history together I mean storm just show up like hey yall like she hasnt been locked up for months psylock oh yeah im evil now but ill wait for wood to explain her later rogue and bobby dont act like they was in a relationship before and or kitty and if she going to sleep with jimmy at least have them in more pannels together you know and was that her first time hell was it his and where the hell is peter it just seems like there is a big elephant in the room thats not being spoken upon i just need more char driven stories with each of them dealing with whats happening in the world now

Quote Originally Posted by shankarma View Post
    so do anyone know when the old x-men are gonna start interacting with each other it seems like they have no history together I mean storm just show up like hey yall like she hasnt been locked up for months psylock oh yeah im evil now but ill wait for wood to explain her later rogue and bobby dont act like they was in a relationship before and or kitty and if she going to sleep with jimmy at least have them in more pannels together you know and was that her first time hell was it his and where the hell is peter it just seems like there is a big elephant in the room thats not being spoken upon i just need more char driven stories with each of them dealing with whats happening in the world now
    I'm thinking it was probably Kitty's first time, given that she and Peter were only shown making out on rooftops, Bobby and Rogue shared their first time AFTER he broke up with Kitty (meaning he never did it with her), and Kong and Kitty were together so briefly that it seems unlikely they did.
    ~Gregory Maguire

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Time_to_Zap View Post
    I'm thinking it was probably Kitty's first time, given that she and Peter were only shown making out on rooftops, Bobby and Rogue shared their first time AFTER he broke up with Kitty (meaning he never did it with her), and Kong and Kitty were together so briefly that it seems unlikely they did.
    I believe Peter and MJ only had sex once, and that was shortly after the Chameleons arc.

I don't think Kitty slept with Jimmy. I was just complaining that he got with her. I don't want little miss Pryde going out with a Highschool Musical wannabe with stupid floppy hair. I just can't see a girl like her getting with a guy like him. He always seems so ridiculously fake, the way he trys so desperately to strike poses and look cool. I've met people like Jimmy before and the facade they put on is hilariously stupid. Everyone knows the type. They struggle to fit in, and are generally ignored by those who see through their facade, and they're always trying to act like something they're not, to the point where they literally delude themselves. I kind of feel sorry for them, the way they feel so uncomfortable in their own skin. I just can't believe Kitty is such a fool for his cool guy act. Girls like her are normally smarter than that.

If you look back at the scene where Kitty wakes up in bed with Jimmy beside her, she is fully clothed, she even has her jeans on with the button done up. I find it very strange that they would have sex, then get back into clothes and then go to sleep. I've never known anyone to behave like that. I'm pretty positive they just kissed, cuddled and enjoyed each other's company. If she was in knickers and a T-shirt, I would understand, but not with tight jeans on with the button done up.

True Superior Spider-Man Kurolegacy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by _Pandora_ View Post

Agreed on all fronts except the mohawk. I've gotten used to it but I still don't really like the mohawk look.
    Holding out for a Peter/Miles team up.

Another good issue! I'm loving this story arc so far.
    Aquaman Aquaman and the Others Batman Batman and Robin Justice League Wonder Woman Star Trek Brilliant Black Science Manifest Destiny Morning Glories Saga Shutter The Wake

I think it could have been better.. but I don't hate it

Quote Originally Posted by Time_to_Zap View Post
    *Kitty made it pretty clear that Jimmy's been a source of comfort and stability to her in these times. Plus, she's a horny sixteen-year-old in the desert, where she may very well die any day due to the dangers of being a mutant. People hook up for way worse reasons.
    She's seventeen actually.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilMayhem666 View Post
    She's seventeen actually.
    Well, then, it's even more likely that she'd be up for doing it.
    ~Gregory Maguire

I don't think a bullet to the head from an handgun could even kill Jimmy...
    "A fast low flying Power Girl could take out a platoon of soldiers without even throwing a punch."
    -someone on the DC forums

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnorok64 View Post
    I don't think a bullet to the head from an handgun could even kill Jimmy...
    Maybe it has to be an adamantium bullet. #terriblemovie
    Comics are more better.