Page 7 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Pacific Rim

Quote Originally Posted by verslibre View Post
    How about that? I'm gonna call you Santa, Santa.

That is a KILLER flick. Same here.
    I officially label you "awesome person"

(Godzilla vs Biollante just came out like two weeks ago, so it makes sense if you didn't know it was out)
    Last edited by SephirothDZX; 12-17-2012 at 12:30 PM.
    Eh, Comics is a pretty cool guy...

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothDZX View Post
    I officially label you "awesome person"

(Godzilla vs Biollante just came out like two weeks ago, so it makes sense if you didn't know it was out)
    Yeah, I saw that and stopped short of slapping myself. Ordering that sucker...

Washington.... the state not the place with the monuments.

Unlike Bay, Del Toro can hold a shot for more than .75 seconds. The inner child is loving that.

Yeah, it is good to see directors that can handle action and not have to do the machine gun editing. Once in a while it is acceptable, but action isn't about how fast you edit, but in how you frame the shot and what happens within that shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    how is this even practical in this day and age? especially the scale of a "giant monster movie"....back in the day, you stick a guy in a rubber suit and hope no one sees the zipper due to a lack of options

why would you even bother doing that today if you can get the same texture. look, but a ton more mobility using a CGI model or a combination of the two??

and also money....practical effects cost more money and take a lot more time
    It's even more practical in this day and age. Everything they use to make suits is far better than it ever was, hell, the suits they were using for Jurassic Park back in 1993 still look better than the Raptors in Peter Jackson's King Kong. It would have been nice to see that level of craftsmanship and a huge budget brought to a Japanese style Tokusatsu/Kaiju movie.

The textures doen't ever seem to look as good as real testures.

Trailer didn't thrill me. Lots of big, clunking robots fighting big, clunking monsters. I'm not expecting much fluidity and grace here.
    The two most powerful warriors are patience and time - Leo Tolstoy

Quote Originally Posted by cactusmaac View Post
    Trailer didn't thrill me. Lots of big, clunking robots fighting big, clunking monsters. I'm not expecting much fluidity and grace here.
    Have you ever seen large land based creatures move? They aren't very fluid. And larger machines, when moving quickly, are not very fluid either. So the robots and monster here being extensions of reality are moving pretty much the way I would expect them to.

I fully expected Pacific Rim to wipe the floor with MOS and Star trek.Instead I found it kinda disappionting.Robots vs Monsters shld be aweosme to watch-yet the fight scenes looked slow and klunky and the monsters looked fairly generic.The amount of water in these scens also makes it a bit difficult to appreciate.Everything else in this trailer was good though-Liked Elba.
    It wasnt a bad trailer but it did reduce my interest in this movie.Im hoping the next trailer fixes this problems.The posters look awesome though
    Ive got to say MOS and star trek stand out for me as the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex6166 View Post
    Unlike Bay, Del Toro can hold a shot for more than .75 seconds. The inner child is loving that.
    Agreed! I'm pumped for this movie. The trailer had me screaming inside.

BANNED

I am really happy about Hunnam staring in a potential blockbuster.

Quote Originally Posted by cactusmaac View Post
    LOL. You can't be serious.

Napoleon of Crime Professor Moriarty's Avatar

all that is missing is an appearance by Godzilla & Ultraman.

Looks like fun. Love the design for the Russian Jaeger. I hope the other Kaiju are more menacing than that last one that punched the Jaeger toward the end. That looked like some kind of gentile thing from Hellboy.
    This signature will self-destruct in five seconds...

Quote Originally Posted by Simbob4000 View Post
    It's even more practical in this day and age. Everything they use to make suits is far better than it ever was, hell, the suits they were using for Jurassic Park back in 1993 still look better than the Raptors in Peter Jackson's King Kong. It would have been nice to see that level of craftsmanship and a huge budget brought to a Japanese style Tokusatsu/Kaiju movie.

The textures doen't ever seem to look as good as real testures.
    Textures may not, but movement will never be the same with a guy in a suit as opposed to a CGI model

we're not that close to the uncanny valley
    Support your local roller derby league

The way technology has improved, I bet you that they wouldn't have gone to the trouble they did to make Raptor suits for Jurassic Park if it were made today. The same thing could be done with CGI raptors that they would have already been building in the computer anyway, so why incur the extra expense of a suit that can be done CGI and look just as good.

No, we aren't too close to pulling off full CGI people yet, because of the Uncanny Valley. But CGI animals and creatures and robots... yeah... the technology has gotten that good.